Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car do you recommend

Options
  • 03-09-2006 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

i just sold my vw golf 1.4 sportsline today.
    i want to get a car but i have MAX 30k to spend.
    i donot mind buying it from here or uk.i was looking at a ford st or even a golf gt or gti but cannot find a good deal.
    so will appricate any comments.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What do you need out of a car? Economy, Space, Head-turning ability, power, handling?

What are your priorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Have to be new?

if you're looking for a quick car that's reasonable on the insurance - check out a Peugeot 106GTi - £7000 would get you a mint last of the line car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

id like 05/06, something nice and kind of upmarket eg gti etc.but can be that kind of spec.i was also looking at honda dc5
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I thought you were bringing in a Mini Cooper S from the UK dre ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Corolla T-Sport???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i was going to but there was too much workload so i didnot have enough time to do more research to find the right car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Think you'd be very happy with a dc5. Looks super, and rated by many as the best handling fwd car ever built.

If you need further convincing, read this:
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/feature.jsp?id=939

BTW, it's predecessor just won best fwd car in Sept EVO magazine. The dc5 wasn't included in the group test, but they acknowledged that in the following article.

Just don't get a white one!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

colm_mcm wrote:
    What do you need out of a car? Economy, Space, Head-turning ability, power, handling?

What are your priorities?

Rear Wheel Drive for Donuts :)

Sorry DrDre, I couldn't help myself.

drdre wrote:
    id like 05/06, something nice and kind of upmarket eg gti etc.but can be that kind of spec.i was also looking at honda dc5
    thanks

Golf GT ?

(I'll wash my mouth out now).

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=523711&ID=795117&NumPics=1&Make=VW&Model=Golf%20GT&frmFilter=All

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

mrbungle wrote:
    Wow...the GT really does not look special at all.....think I would definately find the extra money for a GTI if I was in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

drdre wrote:
    i just sold my vw golf 1.4 sportsline today.
    i want to get a car but i have MAX 30k to spend.
    i donot mind buying it from here or uk.i was looking at a ford st or even a golf gt or gti but cannot find a good deal.
    so will appricate any comments.
    thanks in advance
    drdre wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santa Claus

i was going to but there was too much workload so i didnot have enough time to do more research to find the right car.

I'd imagine that at least the same workload will apply this time too if you look to the UK, especially if you have no clue about what you might go for this time around.

(Am thinking here that it's your mum who owned the Golf and is looking for a new car...)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fletch wrote:
    Wow...the GT really does not look special at all.....think I would definately find the extra money for a GTI if I was in the market.

You could buy one of these for the same price as that Golf GT.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=496032

The vRS has the same 200bhp engine from the Golf GTi.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry to p*ss on your cornflakes but with an endorsement and your age insurance will be nigh on impossible or prohibitively expensive for you to obtain on any high performance car.

Sorry to p*ss on your cornflakes but with an endorsement and your age insurance will be nigh on impossible or prohibitively expensive for you to obtain on any high performance car.

I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find the old thread about his run in with the law so wasn't sure if there was an endorsement or not.

Thing is though, he can always register the car in the mammys name...It's amazing the amount of sport hatch's you see in Auto Trader with 1 careful lady owner (but 1 uncareful named driver).

Just get a dc5. You won't be disappointed!

I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find the old thread about his run in with the law so wasn't sure if there was an endorsement or not.

Thing is though, he can always register the car in the mammys name...It's amazing the amount of sport hatch's you see in Auto Trader with 1 careful lady owner (but 1 uncareful named driver).
    haha, but i donot need my mum or parents involved in buying or insuring a car for me.its not a major problem.i know that there was a bad encouter before but it will be sorted soon.anyway i donot want to discuss that in this thread and please donot thread spoil

mrbungle wrote:
    Rear Wheel Drive for Donuts :)

Sorry DrDre, I couldn't help myself.
    not funny at all.thats called thread spoiling.

drdre wrote:
    haha, but i donot need my mum or parents involved in buying or insuring a car for me.its not a major problem.i know that there was a bad encouter before but it will be sorted soon.anyway i donot want to discuss that in this thread and please donot thread spoil

Sorry didn't mean to threadspoil, but I've seen so many threads where you're about to buy a new car and yet you never have.

Maybe wait until the case is over and see how high your insurance is then (You do realise if you get an endorsement you HAVE to tell your insurance company straight away or your policy would be INVALID...not like penalty points where you just wait until the renewal to fess up).

Sorry didn't mean to threadspoil, but I've seen so many threads where you're about to buy a new car and yet you never have.

Maybe wait until the case is over and see how high your insurance is then (You do realise if you get an endorsement you HAVE to tell your insurance company straight away or your policy would be INVALID...not like penalty points where you just wait until the renewal to fess up).

i know i was talking about getting a new car before but atlast i have sold my golf now so now im thinking of getting a new car or buying a crap car until 07 and by then the court case will be over and i will be on the right track.thanks for your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I know of someone who will be selling a low miles minted Focus ST privately in early 2007 :D

I know of someone who will be selling a low miles minted Focus ST privately in early 2007 :D

how much really.i might just order a gt next week and order new r32 style alloys to make it look nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

drdre wrote:
    how much really.i might just order a gt next week and order new r32 style alloys to make it look nice

Tell your dad he'll be wasting his money buying the r32 style alloys.

ST will be for sale at c.€31000 I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Get an early 90s 911 carrera 4. Time to get real cars and leave all the hot hatch crap behind :D:D ... think about it, no depreciation... any new car or nearly new car bought now will depreciate alot.....

drdre wrote:

Still, would have the gay GT grill on it, just go the whole hog and buy a GTI.

End-of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Kersh wrote:
    Get an early 90s 911 carrera 4. Time to get real cars and leave all the hot hatch crap behind :D:D ... think about it, no depreciation... any new car or nearly new car bought now will depreciate alot.....
    No, get a mid 90's Ferrari 355. They're becoming surprisingly affordable these days! :)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FERRARI-355-GTB-ROSSO-CORSA-BLACK-LEATHER_W0QQitemZ300024095082QQihZ020QQcategoryZ18180QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Don't supposethe budget would stretch to a 599? :D

Kersh wrote:

No factory warranty either, and a mortgage sized bill if any thing major decides it's had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yes, but you can't be thinking too practical all the time really. Car purchasing is never really about good investments.

Anyway, if you're worried about bills when it goes wrong, what about getting something much cheaper and keep some of that 30,000 budget that you have for repairs.

Get this lovely Renault Alpine for only £8,900 and put the rest into the keeping it on the road fund.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320024473862

I'd much rather be sitting on the hard shoulder admiring that whilst waiting for the AA van than driving something new and characterless :p

• Advertisement

Or what about an early nineties DA6 Integra twincam vtec? They move like bejaysus, are cheap to buy and cheap to fix in the rare event that something does go wrong. And definitely don't suffer from any "form over function" malarkey...

There's even one for sale on adverts.ie... ;-)

Advertisement