Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

Great thread. When I got my results I went to a pub and had a bit to drink but it was kinda crap because there weren't any people my age there or people that also got their results. Most of my friends went to "Wesley" which was of course a no-alcohol event but a lot of people had drank before, during and after discreetly (and not so discreetly).

I found drinking was a good way to celebrate and get into a party mood and found it easier to mingle with the girls and people I didn't no particularly well.

There were also people that didn't drink at all and had enjoyable celebrations too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Click happy that I am, I happened to click on that link. I never want to see a post by xXfeefa!!Xx again. Dear god, my eyes.

I think I had two pints of Bulmers or something the night of my Junior Cert results. It's a rite of passage and the illegality of it is what makes it fun. :) Junior Cert night seems to have descended into "Lord of the Flies" territory these days though. I want to be nowhere near town that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

I won't be drinking when I get my results. And probably never.

My mother drinks.
    My father drinks.
    My siblings drink.

And I don't like what it does to any of them. When I was 9, my sister ruined Christmas because she was plastered. Christmas!

I live in Ireland and don't drink and therefore I am no fun, boring, satanic, should walk the plank... etc. etc.

When I was in 1st year, we were discussing alchohol (Most of the class were 12/13) and one of the lads said "Sure everyone drinks. Put up your hand who doesn't." and I did and was insulted for it. How f*cked up does a country have to be where a twelve year old who doesn't drink on a regular basis is considered unusual?

In first year, your average student drinks whatever they can get, which isn't much. But by third year a quarter of the year was full on binge drinking and another quarter was close to.

It's just ridiculous. These people are actually dependant on drink. It's madness.

And you only have to browse Boards to see this problem doesn't just evaporate when they get older...

Check this out. Look how teenager's who don't drink get treated in Ireland:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280767&referrerid=&highlight=debs+15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

In my school we're going on a trip to Poland in October and to avoid us getting hammered on JC night we're having a meeting about the Poland Trip at 9am the next day and anyone who doesn't turn up is not going to Poland. This is a very good idea IMHO. I'll be going out for a family meal that night so no, I wont be drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

oRlyYaRly wrote:

My mother drinks.
    My father drinks.
    My siblings drink.

And I don't like what it does to any of them. When I was 9, my sister ruined Christmas because she was plastered. Christmas!

I live in Ireland and don't drink and therefore I am no fun, boring, satanic, should walk the plank... etc. etc.

When I was in 1st year, we were discussing alchohol (Most of the class were 12/13) and one of the lads said "Sure everyone drinks. Put up your hand who doesn't." and I did and was insulted for it. How f*cked up does a country have to be where a twelve year old who doesn't drink on a regular basis is considered unusual?

In first year, your average student drinks whatever they can get, which isn't much. But by third year a quarter of the year was full on binge drinking and another quarter was close to.

It's just ridiculous. These people are actually dependant on drink. It's madness.

And you only have to browse Boards to see this problem doesn't just evaporate when they get older...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280767&referrerid=&highlight=debs+15
    Here, Here.

:up:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I don't drink regularly, but on the night I might have a can or two.
    I'm not gonna get locked, I'll do it 'responsibly'. And it definitely won't be in a field.
    I don't want to regret the night for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

oRlyYaRly wrote:

My mother drinks.
    My father drinks.
    My siblings drink.

Wow I'm impressed! You seem like a very together and sensible person. Most 3rd/4th years in the school I just finished in regularly binge drink and go to Wesley.

I'm 19 now but when I was 15, I went to Wesley once, and never again. It was too sleazy for my liking. I've NEVER witnessed the like in any of the nightclubs I frequent now.

Also, though I do drink socially now, I never touched a single drop of alcohol until my 18th birthday. I'm not a nerd, I have got friends and I certainly am not boring thanks. It's really worrying when you hear 15 year olds talking about their plans to "get pissed". Why? What purpose does this serve?

For my J.C. results night, I went to an Italian restaurant with my friends, home and then to Galway with the school the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I'm not looking forward to Junior Cert night much to be honest. It's an excuse for people to drink, it's annoying. All i've heard over the past two weeks are so "what are you doing on J.C. night?" etc..

Everyone that I went to school with seems to be going to some disco in town, be it City Hall or Savoy, whatever else , and of course along the way no doubt, getting completly off their game. For what like? They'll just end up with a sore head and having to be up for school the next morning. Fcuk it, if i wanted to, i could go out with the rest of them, but to be honest, it's my idea of hell. I'll probably end up going out for a meal with my family and that'd be it. I'm quite happy to do that too.

The whole drinking thing is far too accepted in Irish culture, especially on nights like Junior Cert night. It just seems like it's the done thing that everyone goes out and gets wrecked. You go abroad and that attitude simply isn't there.

The funny thing is, that the next day they'll probably have some thing on the news about young people drinking (like every year), but of course, nothing will be done.

L&#233 wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to Junior Cert night much to be honest. It's an excuse for people to drink, it's annoying. All i've heard over the past two weeks are so "what are you doing on J.C. night?" etc..

Everyone that I went to school with seems to be going to some disco in town, be it City Hall or Savoy, whatever else , and of course along the way no doubt, getting completly off their game. For what like? They'll just end up with a sore head and having to be up for school the next morning. Fcuk it, if i wanted to, i could go out with the rest of them, but to be honest, it's my idea of hell. I'll probably end up going out for a meal with my family and that'd be it. I'm quite happy to do that too.

The whole drinking thing is far too accepted in Irish culture, especially on nights like Junior Cert night. It just seems like it's the done thing that everyone goes out and gets wrecked. You go abroad and that attitude simply isn't there.

The funny thing is, that the next day they'll probably have some thing on the news about young people drinking (like every year), but of course, nothing will be done.

And the same adults that are shocked by the JC crowd's antics will be getting plastered that very night.

It's a vicious cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Probably should of added, in my own experience. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

I have no idea what im doing that nite but it will probably involve getting a little drunk... but not for de sake of it, because when u have a can or two its easier to get along wit people especially for someone shy. I have gone out drinking before but i have never thrown up from drink and niether have any of my friends, when we go out drinking one of us always stays sober to watch out for the rest of us and often dats more fun cos ur see and remember de funny things the others do!!! But most people arnt 'dependat' on drink to have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

I got my JC results last year. By 11am that morning, I still wasn't sure what exactly I was doing. The plan was to let the day take me wherever I wanted it to. I knew who I was going to be spending the day with, so I doubted that alcohol was going to enter the equation. And I didn't really want it to either. I wanted to do something original, but loads of fun. And I wasn't disappointed!

At first, we went into town, played snooker and all that, before heading up to Dublin. There were four of us in the car, plus my friend's mam who kindly drove us up. It involved the odd bit of messing, shouting out the car windows at passers-by (nothing vulgar or anything like that, just having the craic with them). We went to Shelbourne Park. In all, I spent about €20 or €30 backing the dogs, and broke even by the end of the night. We even got photos with Pádraig Harrington!

Afterwards, we drove around the city to see how the Dubs were spending their evening. We didn't see much, most people were indoors it seemed. We did see a few girls who called their belts "mini-skirts". Don't see the resemblance though. We did that for about half an hour, then left the M7 on our way home to spend ages looking for a house belonging to a certain celebrity who we were led to believe lived in Kilcullen. It was well past midnight at this stage, so the sight was minimal. Needless to say we didn't find the house.

After dropping everyone off, it would have been about two before I got home. And I stayed up texting folk til about three, to see what other people were up to for the evening, before heading into school at about ten past nine the next morning.

If you go with the right people, whatever you do should be good fun. Take into account all the banter we had along the way, backed up with the giddyness of how happy we were with the results and you can see that this was certainly ranked among the best craic we'd had in a long while.

I'm probably gonna go to the cinema with a friend who's also getting her results cos it'll be nice to be together for it even though we're not in the same school, then go for phude with Teh Family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I did not drink the JC night. Actually not a lotta people in my year didn't. But I think it should be your choice if you want to and don't be bent by the pressure! Peer pressure doesn't equal pure pleasure!
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

well ill be having a millers or two nothing serious
    i want to be able to remember the night like :D

Why? Do you actually like Millers or are you just incredibly lightweight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

not drinking ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm not planning on drinking, although teh people I'm going around with probably will. I RARELY drink anyway(and always with a relative present), so I not too big on it. No, we have Pe teh next day before 12. Nuff said rly.

I had my alcohol-induced fun on Saturday so I'm fine with having a quiet night on wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Piste wrote:
    I had my alcohol-induced fun on Saturday so I'm fine with having a quiet night on wednesday.
    But you're a MOD!

• Advertisement

Oh right, I forgot that Mods can't drink, carry on.

>_>

<_<

Stay in school kids.

Piste wrote:
    Why? Do you actually like Millers or are you just incredibly lightweight?
    well i wouldnt consider myself lightweight
    i altually love the taste of millers
    ya i do drink a naggin the odd time but i dont drink to get drunk like
    do you not like the taste of millers?
    i also like budweiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

1huge1 wrote:
    well i wouldnt consider myself lightweight
    i altually love the taste of piss
    ya i do drink a naggin the odd time but i dont drink to get drunk like
    do you not like the taste of millers?
    i also like budweiser

:eek:

I think he meant 'actually'.
    Relax, one is allowed make the odd typo.

Diarmsquid wrote:

I think he was reffering to him liking Millers, which he thinks tastes like piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

Getting absolutely rat-arsed.

Diarmsquid wrote:
    thanks for backing me up but i think he was on about the fact that he changed millers to piss :D which was very rude by the way:rolleyes: i like it sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In my opinoin, it's the best of the mainstream beers, especially if you get it from a bottle, avoiding the dodgy pints of Miller you get in a lot of places.

Still piss though :)

I prefer it to most beers, I can actually drink it without shuddering, unlike the likes of Carlsberg and Heineken. Now Buswiser and Carling, THAT'S utter piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

I don't drink but I always feel left out when everyone else is and most people I know are going drinking tomorrow. Nearly everyone that is going to Bondi and Wezz are drinking before they go! Some of them are not gonna even remeber the night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

Ach, can't people do something a bit more...interesting on the night they get their results?

Ended up not drinking at all.. gone off the stuff totally now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I didn't drink when i did it. (back in 01')
    But i did see loads of lads earlier on walking down the street drinking cans at about 3. It is coolock, but its sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Once again the day after the JC results are released our papers are full of pictures of drunken teenagers and talk of how 'disgraceful' we all are. It just looks like an average saturday night to me. These journalists are just too lazy to cover a real story so they go for the now annual teen-bashing story. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same pictures every year....

Oh lord, it's the same every year, but are there any stories abou tthe girls that get 10 As and have a quiet night in? NO THERE ARE NOT.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the photo on the Irish Times front page. It was of bout 7 girls in miniskirts. Just their legs though. Our teacher went around handing out the paper to the people who get it in our school. Funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Miller is the only beer that DOESNT taste like piss! had a couple of beers before I went. My mate said she was getting drink but it turned out she didnt. It was great fun getting ready for the night but Bondi was ****. What a crap junior night. And I feckin hate popcorn now! :( (YES im grumpy because i had a full day of school today!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

This thread delivers. . . a lot of laughs :D

Two people got thrown into dumpsters. A garda got hit on the head with a spud. Two people got carried away in paddywagons.

It was enjoyable to watch. :cool:

I wasn't drinking either and don't think I will drink for quite a while.

I heard of bad things happening at scream, a guy got stabbed...

• Advertisement

Piste wrote:
    I heard of bad things happening at scream, a guy got stabbed...

What could you expect at a disco named scream.

S9360.jpg

I heard it was the biggest scanger fest ever.

Jello wrote:
    I heard it was the biggest scanger fest ever.
    I heard that people were "roydin'" in the middle of the floor at Scream. Dirty stuff.

hahaha. "I heard.." , "I heard.." , "I heard.." :D

I expect NO ONE from boards would ever dream of going to a 'skobe' filled place like scream. :rolleyes: All my mates went and had a great time. Wish i could have gone :(

#Elites wrote:
    8 cans of Bud, 7 of Bulmers and shots... my head hurts.. walked home at 8am.. went to school at 12.. slept in every class:D

great night!

and your parents didnt give a sh1te about that? :eek:

I expect NO ONE from boards would ever dream of going to a 'skobe' filled place like scream. :rolleyes: All my mates went and had a great time. Wish i could have gone :(

Well when I say "I heard" I actually mean "I read in the paper"

Scream does look ****e, according to The Irish Times loads of people were put in a holding area and their parents called, and several people were taken to Garda Stations. And there were a load of drunken fights on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

No offence people but you should REALLY get out more! :o

All this stuff about fights, riding etc happens every weekend. What makes it so special if it happens on JC results night?? Come on out with me tonight and we'll have the craic for shizzle my nizzle ;)

phenomenon wrote:

All this stuff about fights, riding etc happens every weekend. What makes it so special if it happens on JC results night?? Come on out with me tonight and we'll have the craic for shizzle my nizzle ;)

yer bang on there!

phenomenon wrote:

Because it's stupid little kids, that's why. Bondi and Traffic (as two examples) are usually regular clubs for over 18s each weekend, while riding and drunken fighting isn't acceptable, at least drinking is legal, and the sex is -somewhat- legal.

When a random selection of teenagers are shown in the media acting like tools on JC night it reflects onto all of us, so of course we care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

HEY!! i went and had a great (sober) time.there were a load of people haveing sex,fights and a few people compleatly off their face but i there was a great atmosphere.all the girls i went to really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement