Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Home VS XP Corporate

• 03-09-2006 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Is there really a massive difference between the two?

I'm installing Xp on my Mac, and I have the choice, of either getting corporate edition for free next week. Or buying Home edition now.

I'm just wondering should I bother buying Home, or is corporate decent?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The PRO version is better for most things, if you can get a legit license.

If it's OEM - you can't use it
    If it's the media only without the COA - you can't use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Theres no such thing as XP Corporate. You might mean XP Professional. The difference between XP Home and XP Pro is shown here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx I reckon if you have to ask, then you don't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Theres no such thing as XP Corporate. You might mean XP Professional. The difference between XP Home and XP Pro is shown here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx I reckon if you have to ask, then you don't need it.
    Actually, there is a Corporate edition, but its not on sale on the website: its generally for companies wanting 20+ licenses, with maybe one or two keys, and no activation (imagine trying to activate 300 PC's?).

the_syco wrote:
    Actually, there is a Corporate edition, but its not on sale on the website: its generally for companies wanting 20+ licenses, with maybe one or two keys, and no activation (imagine trying to activate 300 PC's?).

AFAIK no edition with the title "XP Corporate" exists, even if its commonly called that. I'm guessing you mean "Windows XP Pro" edition with a different licence. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/what_basics_licensingwhat.mspx

Other then the license and the validation of same theres no difference between the various licenses you can get. So my OEM XP Pro is the same as a Select XP Pro is the same as XP Pro retail. (Ignoring the 64bit editions). Thats been my experience of the different licences. Granted I've never explored it in any great detail, so maybe there are.

However AFAIK there are functional differences between XP Home, XP Media Center and XP Professional. I would assume is this that Redhairedguy is enquiring about. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Yep, "XP Corporate" was a term created by warez pirates in reference to the Volume Licence version of XP Professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

okay, if indeed, it is XP pro I'm getting for free then I should be happy. I was told by the chap I'm getting it off, that it doesn't need an activation key. Is this dodgy or normal. I don't wanna go putting something on my Mac that's gonna get me busted!

I was told by the chap I'm getting it off, that it doesn't need an activation key. Is this dodgy or normal.
    That's the Volume Licence version alright. It's both XP Pro and dodgy!

Karsini wrote:
    That's the Volume Licence version alright. It's both XP Pro and dodgy!

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

ohhh... So am I better off to not to get it then?

Cause, it really ain't any skin off my nose!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

me wrote:
    The PRO version is better for most things, if you can get a legit license.

If it's OEM - you can't use it
    If it's the media only without the COA - you can't use it
    position hasn't changed.

If you can't get a legit version then you have to buy one.

The 'free' version must come with a license, if the company is using volume licenses instead of COA's you would need something in writing confirming they are allocating you one license ( and I'm not even sure how easy it is to transfer individual volume licenses )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just to hijack this thread for a moment (apologies).

I have XP Pro (Retail) that's not installed on any PC, but I don't really want to install Pro I'd rather have Home. If I borrow someones XP Home disc will the Pro Key work with it or does it have to be a Home key?

Makaveli wrote:

I have XP Pro (Retail) that's not installed on any PC, but I don't really want to install Pro I'd rather have Home. If I borrow someones XP Home disc will the Pro Key work with it or does it have to be a Home key?
    It has to be a Home key unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Has to be a home key afaik.

I tried a home key with a corp version of XP Pro to no avail so I'm assuming it wouldn't work.

Open to correction tho.

Makaveli wrote:

Why on earth would you want to do that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

kaimera wrote:
    Has to be a home key afaik.

I tried a home key with a corp version of XP Pro to no avail so I'm assuming it wouldn't work.

Open to correction tho.
    Definitely won't work. Apparently it's checked against a different hash table.

In any event the licensing downgrade rights that were previously available vanished with WinXP, even if they included non-previous but lesser versions of the same product, which they didn't really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Why on earth would you want to do that? :confused:

Just used to Home, that's all really. Also weren't there conflicts with Pro and games? Ah well, Pro it is so.

Pro will do you fine. Any problems Pro has, Home will have them too. Maybe you're thinking of Windows 2000 Professional.

Makaveli wrote:
    Just used to Home, that's all really. Also weren't there conflicts with Pro and games? Ah well, Pro it is so.

No there isn't any difference. Were did you hear that?

Will games run ok on a mac running XP? What games are are you thinking off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No there isn't any difference. Were did you hear that?

Will games run ok on a mac running XP? What games are are you thinking off?

Dawn of War - I've been pestering him to get XP sorted so we can get 4 player battles going. His macbook is decent with a 1.86 Core Duo and X1600Pro :D

I didn't realise it could play PC games though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was lead to believe a mac booting xp can play any game (only limited by requirements as per a normal windows pc)?

As in, a mac running xp, the newer ones with standard parts, can play games normally as you would on any pc?

TBH I've no idea. Be interested to hear if it works though...

Can't see any reason why an Intel based Mac couldn't run something a normal PC can. Provided you have all the right drivers of course.

Karsini wrote:
    Can't see any reason why an Intel based Mac couldn't run something a normal PC can. Provided you have all the right drivers of course.

The Bios. Even on older macs where you could use the same hardware as PC's like gfx cards, you couldn't use the same bios on the gfx card. I'd assume thats not the case now, but you never know.

Advertisement