Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Control of Other Networed Computers

Options
  • 04-09-2006 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Hey, a pretty simple question...

Is it possible to remotely control (without using MSN reote assistance that is:rolleyes: ) other networked computers?

Many is the time I've found myself sitting downstairs with the laptop and, say, a pdf file that I want to print to have for reference. Either way I have to download the file again, from the desktop, but any easy way to do that remotely?

OK call me a lazy pr*ck, Im going to have to go and collect it anyway, but im curious if theres a simple alternative to an expensive print server. It'd be handy fr starting downloads etc using tools I have o one PC but not the laptop (low spec so I dont ram it with the goodies)... I also know there are subscription services available for this kind of thing to do it all over the net, but this is simply a home network.

Advice appreciated:D

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

look at VNC

openvnc tightvnc ..........

Might be what ur looking for with file shares.

Either that or remote desktop.

At the moment i have sshd running on a wrt54gl so i can tunnel into the network. You could use freesshd to do the same. (freesshd + dyndns.org + putty + vnc + google ssh tunneling)

Or for an easy life hamachi + vnc client thats if hamachi is still free to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

If you just want to access the Windows PC upstairs from the laptop downstairs, then I'd second the suggestion of VNC - it will do the job nicely. If the machine upstairs is running XP Pro, then Remote Desktop is smoother than VNC, in my experience.

One thing to be aware of - if your laptop screen is smaller than your desktop screen, navigating your desktop remotely can be a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thanks for the quick replies:)

Don't have XP pro so cant use RD.
    if your laptop screen is smaller than your desktop screen, navigating your desktop remotely can be a PITA.

Yeah, thats a bit of a problem...I maxed out the settings and seems to be only about 0-1fps...that normal?
    (freesshd + dyndns.org + putty + vnc + google ssh tunneling)

what?:p :o

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Yeah, thats a bit of a problem...I maxed out the settings and seems to be only about 0-1fps...that normal?
    Is the laptop wireless connection 802.11b or g? It might be pretty slow on b.

And you might want to try disabling any wallpaper on your remote desktop.
    what?:p :o
    Don't worry about it - that's only for connection from outside your network. If you wanted to connect to your machine from somewhere else, you'd want some pretty reliable security in place, but to connect to anothr machine on your own LAN it's not necessary. (NutJob was just showboating anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

sdonn_1 wrote:

Many is the time I've found myself sitting downstairs with the laptop and, say, a pdf file that I want to print to have for reference.Either way I have to download the file again, from the desktop, but any easy way to do that remotely?

Could ya not just set the printer up as a shared printer? that way no need to remote desktop. If its just the printing you want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

If you're looking for just a quick and easy solution than www.logmein.com is worth a look. Its a bit laggy but you'll have it going in 10 minutes.

I've been trying to get the trial of realVNC to work for me but I'm having trouble with my router. I'm using a linksys 802.11g router to connect to machines. One is physically connected and the other a laptop is connected using wireless. I've opened port 5900 on both machines and I can ping from one machine to the other but each time I try and connect I get an error saying the connection was dropped unexpectantly. I've seen people suggest that you need to use port forwarding on your router but I'm guessing that's only if you're trying to connect from outside the network, I only want to connect from one machine to the other on my router. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with this set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Stokolan wrote:
    Could ya not just set the printer up as a shared printer? that way no need to remote desktop. If its just the printing you want to do.

Finally someone says the most obvious and simple answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Sry about earlier post had beer in and suffering for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It'd be handy fr starting downloads etc using tools I have o one PC but not the laptop (low spec so I dont ram it with the goodies)

So not the only reason Im interested...I'll set up the shared printer, that hadnt occured to me, doh :p
    Sry about earlier post had beer in and suffering for it now.

:D - Glass of warm water before bed ;)
    Thanks for the replies folks - I am interested in remote desktop over the internet as well while on holidays etc etc and i reckon i have enough info to investigate it :)
    I've been trying to get the trial of realVNC to work for me but I'm having trouble with my router. I'm using a linksys 802.11g router to connect to machines. One is physically connected and the other a laptop is connected using wireless. I've opened port 5900 on both machines and I can ping from one machine to the other but each time I try and connect I get an error saying the connection was dropped unexpectantly. I've seen people suggest that you need to use port forwarding on your router but I'm guessing that's only if you're trying to connect from outside the network, I only want to connect from one machine to the other on my router. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with this set up?

I know when I was trying to open ports what worked was enabling UPnP in my router settings, that opens different ports for filesharing/P2P etc...

Thorbar wrote:
    For connecting on the LAN, you don't need any portforwarding on the router. in fact, if you've portforwarded 5900, disable it immediately!!! You don't want someone else connecting from outside and taking remote control of your machine!

To get RealVNC working on your LAN, disable any firewall on the "server" and make sure that it's working properly. Once you get it working, re-enable your firewall, and open any necessary ports. If it doesn't work with the firewall disabled, then it's not a firewall problem - there's no need to waste time debugging the firewall. Ty telnetting to port 5900 on the other machine - you won't get anything useful, but you should at least be abe to connect.

• Advertisement

sdonn_1 wrote:
    I know when I was trying to open ports what worked was enabling UPnP in my router settings, that opens different ports for filesharing/P2P etc...
    I really home no VNC server software supports UPnP - you don't want to open your desktop up to anyone on the internet everytime you start the server up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

use ssh and x11 and / or putty I sez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Thanks I'll try disabling the firewall on the router. Bob, I've used a remote x session with cygwin to connect to a linux box but I can't see how that's useful for getting from one win box to another? Is there a way of doing this or were you just saying use linux?

Advertisement