Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andre Agassi Tribute

• 04-09-2006 4:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

One of the all time greats at an incredible 36 years of age has finally retired after being knocked out of his 21st consecutive US Open. Winner 8 grand slams and an Olympic gold medal, men's tennis won't be the same without him. Without doubt my favourite player to watch, on and off the court. His rivalry with Pete Sampras produced some of the greatest matches in tennis history, including this semi final classic from the Aussie Open in 2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLy3yIdexIU
    Profile: Andre Agassi

1970: Born April 29, Las Vegas.
    1986: Turns professional.
    1992: Captures first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon, beating Boris Becker and John McEnroe along the way.
    1994: Wins US Open for second Grand Slam singles title. Becomes first player to move from outside top 30 to finish the year at No 2 in the world.
    1995: Wins first Australian Open, plus a career-high seven titles in 11 finals. Loses US Open final to Pete Sampras.
    1996: Wins Olympic gold in Atlanta.
    1999: Wins French Open, becoming fifth man to complete career Grand Slam.
    2000: Wins another Australian Open.
    2001: Successfully defends Australian Open title. Marries Steffi Graf and son Jaden Gil is born.
    2002: Beaten in US Open final by Pete Sampras in four sets.
    2003: Wins Australian Open, the eighth Grand Slam of his career. Daughter Jaz Elle is born.
    2004-05: Withdraws from successive Wimbledons with hip and back injuries.
    Jul 2006: Bows out of final Wimbledon in the third round, having announced plan to retire after US Open.
    Sep 2006: Retires from tennis following third-round defeat by Benjamin Becker at US Open.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Great find kinaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Absolute legend, Agassi was always my favourite player and oi course he had great rivarly with Sampras, Sampras tended to come out on top and most memorably in US open in 01 I think where they played in quarters and just incredible standard, stunning match which Sampras won in 4 sets, all tie break sets as well I think, if only there was a 5th set! I loved when Agassi took him, recall final of australian open 1 year rather fondly

Lots of memorable matches but one I remember especially is french open final in 99 where he completed the grand slam, 2 sets to 0 down to Medvedev(I think) and played some brilliant stuff to peg back and make history.

Big loss to tennis and in many way think he will be irreplaceable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

im gutted, i will really miss him:(

Advertisement