Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I transfer ownership of my car?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

....and if I can't sell it (very possible, as no one seems to want what I regard as normal, a scruffy 10-year-old car!) how do I go about recycling it? I seem to remember there was a place you drive it up to in Lucan or somewhere and pay €37, or was I dreaming?

On the other hand, if I do succeed in selling it, do I go through Revenue or Chancery House or where to transfer the logbook into the new owner's name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

luckat wrote:
    do I go through Revenue or Chancery House or where to transfer the logbook into the new owner's name?
    You need to fill in a RF101 form available at your local motor tax office and send it to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The back of the Vehicle Licencing Certificate has spaces to fill out change of ownership details. You fill it out and post it to the Vehicle Registration Office in Shannon.

If you decide to scrap it you will need to get a certificate of destruction form the scrapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks very much, wishbone and crosstown.

I hope I don't have to scrap it. Good car *sob*. But I thought there was some kind of actual car recycling system announced with great bells and whistles recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

luckat wrote:
    But I thought there was some kind of actual car recycling system announced with great bells and whistles recently?

I'm not sure of your location luckat, but if in Dublin:

South Dublin CC charge €55
    Dublin City Council charge €30
    Fingal CC charge €50
    DL/Rathdown CC charge €50

All above prices are for collection from your residence (quite good value IMO).
    I'm not sure about the other CCs. I'm sure they run similar schemes.

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/car_removal.html

Thanks, Wishbone, if the worst comes to the worst I'll contact Dublin City Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if its only 10 years old how bad can it be - if it's running and drivable you shouldn't need to scrap it. just stick it in the Buy and Sell with a suitably low price.

I sold my 12 year old car last year - it was running well but looked like crap. I put it in B&S for €300 and my phone didn't stop ringing for 2 weeks (mostly timewasters admittedly, but I did sell it fairly quickly).

Good idea - I did put it on adverts.ie but while it's got lots of views, it hasn't got any buyers yet (just put it on last night, mind). I don't want to set the price *too* low because I don't want young lads joyriding in it. Lasses either, obviously.

Thanks for all the help; I sold the car this morning to a garage, the first of a million or so callers in answer to the Buy & Sell ad. I got €420 (minus €20 luck-penny), which was fine by me, as I'd tried unsuccessfully to give it away to four different friends.

Now for that TV card...

Advertisement