Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention: Secondary School Students re lunches

Options
  • 04-09-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Didn't know where to post this so if the mods need to move it they can. I was going to post it in parenting but don't think too many students would be checking out that forum and couldn't find a specific Secondary School forum, also I think it will get more replies here.

So my questions are for secondary school students:

1. Do you go home for lunch any day during the week?

2. If so, how many days do you go home?

3. If you stay in for lunch, how much per day do you bring?

4. If you stay in for lunch, what do you bring with you from home?

5. Do you go out for lunch, and where - eg. spar, chipper etc?

Reason I'm asking the above question is because my daughter is in 2nd year and the majority, if not all, don't go home for lunch. Most of them get x amount per day and either stay in and get their lunch from the tuck shop or go out to Spar, Tesco or chipper. I've asked quite a few of the girls and they mostly get €5 per day. I think this is too much because if you have a decent breakfast and bring something from home for your little lunch and a bottle of water or juice you'd be ok with €3?? I only live around the corner from the school and so does my Mam and my daughter has the option to come home on Friday to me as I don't work that day or the other days to her Nannys for lunch but she don't want to because EVERYONE stays in or goes out to Tesco. At the moment we've agreed on €3 mon-weds and €5 thur and fri. I make sure she has a decent breakfast and tell her to bring some stuff from home too eg. soup, bottle water, bar, fruit, sandwich. Sorry for the length but would like to know what other students think.

PS when I went to secondary school we went home for our dinner everyday (watched neighbours after it!) and that was it. Rarely brought money to school with us except a few pence for some sweets. One day a week we'd go into town and get a pound special which was a burger, chip and small bottle of orange for IR£1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not post in the jr cert and leaving cert forums ?
    You will find them in the education section.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Thaedydal wrote:
    Why not post in the jr cert and leaving cert forums ?
    You will find them in the education section.

Thanks will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Well, I was in Secondary only a few years ago so I don't think too much has changed. A €5 is too much IMO, especially when you consider that it will probably be spent on crisps , coke and chocolate bars. €2 should be plenty (even too much) if she brought a packed lunch; say two sandwiches and an apple or banana.

I got the bus to school so going home was not an option, would have been great to have it as an option and go home every couple of days, as it was I got a few bob to spend and bought crap, looking back I wish I had proper luches as I am paying for it now (too thin)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Yiv a 14 year old daughter? Christ, i saw the Know Your Nerds picture and guessed early 20s :eek:

I used to tell the oul one I was eating a fiver worth of school dinner per day, and so thats what i was given. In truth, it cost about 2 quid, which meant i accumulated 15 quid (3 per day) for a few cans of Bavaria at the weekend :D

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Yiv a 14 year old daughter? Christ, i saw the Know Your Nerds picture and guessed early 20s :eek:

I used to tell the oul one I was eating a fiver worth of school dinner per day, and so thats what i was given. In truth, it cost about 2 quid, which meant i accumulated 15 quid (3 per day) for a few cans of Bavaria at the weekend :D

Thanks well she's 13 and I was 31 yesterday!

Please don't be telling me things like that. I'm dreading the drinking of cans etc. wish she was still in primary. Gonna make her come home the Friday I'm off for lunch and only thurs get the €5 and the other days bring her lunch with her. Was thinking I was being unfair as her friend calls her Friday for school and she had €5 and she gets it everyday.

Smellyirishman I'd love her to come home everyday but you know yourself "everyone" is going to Tesco or Spar. Luckily the tuck shop provides small cartons of milk and water or healthy juices only. She drinks two small cartons of milk per day and often brings a bottle of water with her. Unfortunately she's a faddy eater and despite all my efforts she won't eat much fruit or salad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I just finished school last year, in 6th year I used to bring in yogurt, water and maybe an apple and my mam still gave me €5 which I wish now she hadn't given me so much!
    A curry chip was about€1.50 and so I might buy two(hence the gut today :() I'd then buy an unnecessary packet of skittles or something
    and then I'd save the rest for fags or to add towards the rest of my pocket money!
    If you're daughter needs money to buy a drink, fruit or whatever else she may need the €5 but when I was in 1st, 2nd and 3td year when I had the choice between either an apple or a big bar of chocolate, a bottle of water or a bottle of coke and you can guess which ones I chose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Well a litre of milk is only €1 (perhaps €1.50 if she is buying two fancy cartons), so what's the other €4 going towards. Since you say she is going to spar or tesco it may well be going on an overpriced roll or chipper, it could also be going on sweets, in which case €3 in total would be plenty. As others have said, any more is probably being stowed away for the unmentionables (or a new video game if she is a nerd like me, dunno which one you would fear more :p).

Happy late birthday, definitly hiding those years! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

went home for kunch everyday got a full dinner best thing ever

i saw give her what she needs dont worry about what everyone else is getting surely she can get whatever she needs from home and then give her 1.50 to buy something in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

then I'd save the rest for fags or to add towards the rest of my pocket money

Aye. Don't forget that she has to go halves on a 10 pack of smokes with somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I went home for lunch sometimes in first year but after that I didn't bother. Normally I just brought my own lunch; sandwich, crisps, bars, drink. My school only had plain rolls and a tuck shop. Some people went to the nearby chipper. Sometimes my friends went to Spar, I went with them but I normally didn't get anything there (I'm a very boring and repetitive person when it comes to food).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shifted from AH, mods feel free to copy/move to Junior Cert. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I went home every day for lunch, usually got a dinner.

Most of my friends stayed in, they would either go to Superquinn or McDonalds, spend around €5-10.

Some would bring in food, like sandwiches, crisps, etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

Got a 5er a day when i was in school... lunch usually only cost me 3€ and the rest i saved and chipped in for weed once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I'm in 5th year and usually bring my own lunch, or go home for lunch, but when I do go over to the Centre/Chinese €3.50 usually does me fine. A roll is around €2.50 or there abouts and then a bar or something like that. I'd bring my own bottle of water.
    €5 a day is waaay too much if ya ask me, and a 13 year old girl prob wouldn't eat that much anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

1.) Yes

2.) Every day

3.) In first year I didn't go home. I brought €2 and got chips and a capri sun in the school.

4.) Never brought anything in.

5.) I sometimes get something in the shop on the way back to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Originally Posted by brown*eyed*girl

(1) Yes

(2) One or two days

(3) 3 euro or 4 euro depending on his mood :rolleyes:

(4) No

(5) Spar and a chipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

My school doesn't allow students to go to the shops.

I go home anyway:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

So my questions are for secondary school students:

I finished secondary this year. €5 is a ridiculous sum of money I think.

1. No

3. €2

4. I brought a sandwich, a bottle of water. and a bar/crisp

5. I'd go to Tesco and buy a banana or yogurt or scone. Bananas were great, really cheap and damned nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

I'm just finished school but thought I'd do this anyway

1. Do you go home for lunch any day during the week? no

2. If so, how many days do you go home? n/a

3. If you stay in for lunch, how much per day do you bring? I'd bring about €5. I'd usually order a roll or a wrap in 5th/6th yr which cost me €3, a bottle of water about €1 and then I'd use the remainder on either gum or mints for after school study. I find that younger years spend their lunch money on junk in the tuck shop though

4. If you stay in for lunch, what do you bring with you from home? I'd have a piece of fruit for break and then for lunch I'd eat either a sandwich or sometime's i'd bring soup or a salad. I'd always have either another piece of fruit or a yoghurt and then something sweet (like a club bar or something). On special days I'd allow myself a muffin :D

5. Do you go out for lunch, and where - eg. spar, chipper etc? If ever we went out we'd either go to the local bakery and get a fresh roll. Sometimes we'd go to supervalue and get wedges though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Finished too but only three months ago so its relevant enough!

nope
    none
    got about 20 euro every week for food - spent about 5 or 10 of that!
    2 or 3sandwhiches,crips,water,apple/orange,choclate bar,cerealt bar(i was in school till about 7 or 8 every day hence the enormous amount of food!)
    yes when i wanted to treat myself stephens green shopping center - bewlys/o briens etc.. but before when I went to school in the suburbs it was good old centra/chippers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Finished last yr but

Ah I never did!!

Never

I always got stuff in the canteen(loved 6th yr i cud just skip the line:D ) about €5 a day but I didnt spend it all

Ahh furt

Ah went down to the sandwich place in the shopping centre near my school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

When I went to school close to where I live I got about €2/€3 even though I went home for my lunch break.

When I went to a school in the city I got €50/€60 a week for bus money and lunches although I usually brought a lunch with me. My bus was €4.70 everyday and I didn't really need the rest unless I bought some fruit or bottled water.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 joema

Last year my old school got asked these questions and now the lunch has been reduced from 1 hour to 45 mins!!!!!! Also there used to be a long lunch on mon if you didnt do lcvp - this is now gone aswell. Now classes are 50 mins long instead of 45/40!!!

Thanks a million for all the feedback its been really helpful. We agreed that she'd bring a packed lunch mon-weds with €2 or 3 (depending on what change I have) and that on Thursday she can go out and gets €5 and Friday come home to me for lunch. Had a chat too about trying to eat more healthy snacks so she's gone off this morning with a bottle of water, apple, small bag crisps, crackers with cheese spread and a mini chocolate bar. Don't sound great but it is for her and a step in the right direction. Have to admit I gave her a good incentive to cut down on lunch money and eat healthily and promised her we'd get the new lap top early if she keeps it up and also gets good results at school.

Again thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

joema wrote:
    Last year my old school got asked these questions and now the lunch has been reduced from 1 hour to 45 mins!!!!!! Also there used to be a long lunch on mon if you didnt do lcvp - this is now gone aswell. Now classes are 50 mins long instead of 45/40!!!

sick enough man:D

Advertisement