Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Clothing

Options
  • 04-09-2006 11:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any shops where you can get second hand maternity clothing? I found Dorothy Perkins to have no support around the bump due to the thinner elastic waist band and whatsitsname off Grafton Street needs a second mortgage to buy anything in it.
    I don't know many other places that do maternity clothing that is good quality at reasonable prices. Its really ticking me off that Im going to have to go through 9 months of hoicking up jeans that keep slipping off and pulling down tops that keep rolling up. And Id like a Winter coat too please! Something that doesn't fit like a sack but actually have a bit - only a little bit, that's all Im asking - of shape so I don't look like Violet from Willie Wonka's Choc Factory when walking down the road.
    I felt too rotten to go shopping at the start the last time and felt like I was catching up all the way along. No sooner would I fit into something than I would have to be off again to get a bigger version and all the time more and more uncomfortable and awkward and psychotic. I cant do that again. Ill end up throttling someone.
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Hi, I don't know anywhere for second hand maternity, but maybe trawl the other stores for tops with support? A lot of the tops are loose around the bump with thin material, but you can strike it lucky with nice supportive tops in the cheaper shops.
    Try Dunnes, Top Shop, H&M, Next, Mothercare, M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭eimearnll

h&m i found the best good prices to dunnes are good aswell dont know if you have tried pennys you'd be surprised at what you can pick up in there you can get some nice tops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Nope, I hear ya...maternity clothing is surprisingly hard to come by, and when you do they think they can charge *way* too much. I had to start wearing maternity wear at 12 weeks and I was really frustrated at the lack of support/comfort/style/variety...

I wound up purchasing all of my maternity wear online from an American site, and have been *so* happy with it. I got lucky though b/c others who have shopped at the same site got stuck w/ massive import taxes (I slipped under the radar somehow...shhh.)

I live in Donegal, so whatever selection you have in the Dublin area you can cut in half for my neck of the woods. As far as maternity wear I found Dunnes has 2 racks, Penny's has none, Dorothy Perkins has 2 racks, but we don't have an H&M, TopShop or Mothercare. Next only stocks maternity wear online & through catalog (no in-store shopping, but I hear that may change soon in Sligo).

And don't even get me started on trying to find a maternity bathing suit. I swim everyday and had to literally scour the countryside to find a suit which was made for a big bump.

I received a lot of advice suggesting you just buy "the next size up" but that just doesn't work. Parts of the clothes will be falling off while the areas that need the support (the bump/chest region) are notoriously too tight.

I got lucky w/ my American site, but if I had it to do over again (and I did get stuck w/ the taxes) I think I'd still shop there. The quality's good, the selection's amazing, and the prices just cannot be beat (even after shipping charges). I can't figure out why a similar shop hasn't started up here.

Pregnant women already experience some discomfort through the pregnancy alone...why should we have to be fighting w/ our clothes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 susiesue

I saw some in H& M in Liffey valley the other day, I used to just get a few stetchy tops and tracksuit bottoms in Pennys aswell, lasted great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I bought my missus loads of decent maternity clothes on ebay.co.uk

It didnt cost me a fortune and she got a wear out of everything!!

I also found thats Dunnes had a good selection.

And as mentioned above Pennys had some stuff, not great but just look out for elasticated waist lines!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Maybe if you got to www.eumom.com or www.rollercoaster.ie or www.magicmum.com they are all irish websites aimed at moms and they usually have lots for sale - some clothes too. I found Dunnes great and Next was brill the way they offer on the bump, over the bump and under the bump!
    Or watch out for Mothercare sale, their clothes are fab!

Advertisement