Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid expensive clothes!

• 04-09-2006 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

I havent been able to find any nice clothes lately, so decided to widen my pockets, and i was willing to pay more. I usually wudnt pay more than 50 for jeans, or 35 for a tshirt, but tot if they're nice clothes I might as well

So was in town, in Arnotts, in all the posh shops, but they're stuff is shlt! I dont see where the 100 euro went, i thought they'd be better feel, better fit, but no! just as good as any other jeans I have. So I ended up gettin jeans in Unique and a shirt in Penneys and they're better than anything else I saw in Arnotts or Dundrum, and only cost 25 and 15

So like, why do people bother payin so much? So they can be like Shwerr, look at me, i have cheap jeans I payed 150 for

Bah!

Also, wha other good places in Dublin can I get clothes? Been all over town, Liffey Valley and DunDrum

CheerZ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

TK Maxx is where I get most of mine. It's a fantastic shop, no over-priced bullcrap like D2 of Jean Scene or any of those have. For people who like nice clothes at a good price, and not ones with labels stitched randomly all over the place it's great.

Only problem is they clear out and change their stock quite often, so if you see something you like you have to buy it there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

abetarrush wrote:
    So like, why do people bother payin so much? So they can be like Shwerr, look at me, i have cheap jeans I payed 150 for

What business is it of yours?It's their money and they're welcome to spend it on whatever or however they want.

I like Diesel jeans, they fit me great and are made of extrememly good denim. My last pair cost almost €300. They're now my favourite jeans, and are still in mint condition despite all their wear and washes, therefore I'm willing to fork out for them.

I also like some JackJones jeans. They cost less than €80 and are made of a lesser quality denim, which fades in the wash and they tend to lose their shape fairly quickly. I still buy the odd pair however would rather fork out the additional cash for a better quality jean such as Diesel.

There are also even cheaper shops in Dublin, Unique and Motion Picture being two of them. I know a few people who've tested the odd item from these shops and well, their quality is generally reflected in their price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't mind paying for investment clothes, stuff like jeans, shirts, shoes, jackets etc., will all get plenty of wear. Stuff like tshirts I'm never bothered spending money on.

My next buy is probably a new knee length wool coat. Probably cost a lot but I'll literally get use of it for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Used to buy a lot of casual stuff in Unique when I was in college, but wouldn't darken their doors now that I have proper money to spend.

I find Henri Lloyd the best fit and quality jeans, I have a good few pairs now and they have lasted the distance. Buy most of them in Best; wouldn't wear Henri Lloyd clothes in general mind, especially not the hooped polos, but, well, the jeans seem to be great, but it's probably a personal thing, depending on many things such as what fit you want in the first place. Having said that, most of my Armani Jeans are fairly tight fitting, and I find Boss to be very baggy, so like most things, it's horses for courses. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I think I've only had three pairs of expensive jeans in my lifetime and by God they were some of the best investments I ever made. Had I not grown out of them, I would bet any sum of money that they had maintained their shape and they weren't in tats despite regular wear.

I'm a bit too poor for all that stuff now so I'm stuck with Jack Jones stuff for the present. Like rb_ie mentioned above, they don't maintain their shape and the colour is certainly not the same as when I originally purchased them. If I can gather a few euros together at some stage, I'll definitely consider spending the money on another pair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I'm the kind of person who will spend my money on really dear clothes and end up broke. But it's worth it in the long run because 9/10 times if it's a higher price it's better quailty and lasts longer.

Now...it's not like me but I was in Pennys of all places today and actually bought shoes for €4....€4 :eek: but they are so comfotable. I wonder will they last though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

i do spend a lot of money on clothes but i find it to be worth at and there is no doubting the superior quality. it is up to anyone how the want to spend their money. i dont smoke and i dont drink too often nor do i drive a car, three things many people spend huge amounts on. lot worse things than spending money on clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Like a few of the other posters on this thread I tend to spend a bit more cash for higher quality products, like Diesel and G-Star for example.

But remember, ever 6 months there are sales on and you can get yourself a really good bargain. Just last week I got a €120 pair of G-Star jeans in O'Conners on Grafton Street for only €50.........less then half price, you can't go wrong there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

grimloch wrote:
    they don't maintain their shape and the colour is certainly not the same as when I originally purchased them
    Them jeans are designed to fade a bit

I dunno. I just dont see a major difference between 30 euro jeans and 100 euro ones

ive bought Diesel for years and never noticed a major difference

But 300 for jeans is pretty sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

abetarrush wrote:
    Them jeans are designed to fade a bit

Perhaps I'm incorrect here but I generally read that as they're too cheap to make the colours stay in and it's merely their way of covering that up.
    But remember, ever 6 months there are sales on and you can get yourself a really good bargain. Just last week I got a €120 pair of G-Star jeans in O'Conners on Grafton Street for only €50.........less then half price, you can't go wrong there!

Really? I was in there today and it was essentially a Jack and Jones store. The vast majority of the jeans on the shelves were J&J with the expcetion of a few pairs of Levis. Not that I looked particularly hard, but I didn't come across even one pair of G-Stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

abetarrush wrote:
    So like, why do people bother payin so much?

Because 'like' they're morons. You'll find this to be the case with most things that don't make sense upon initial inspection.

Raekwon wrote:
    Like a few of the other posters on this thread I tend to spend a bit more cash for higher quality products, like Diesel and G-Star for example.

O'Connors on Grafton Street? Where abouts? I tot it was only in Liffey Valley

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

man i hate oconnors...went in one day to buy a pair of jeans...but the jeans had no price on them...got the perfect pair...got to counter...found out they were 150....
    i love motion picture for jeans(one in square tallaght is better then town)! none of this over priced bull**** jeans! you get gud pair around 20-35 mark and they feel and fit grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Burtons in jervis are great.

two pairs of jeans for €50, and tbh they are my two favourite pairs of jeans that i own.

grimloch wrote:
    Really? I was in there today and it was essentially a Jack and Jones store. The vast majority of the jeans on the shelves were J&J with the expcetion of a few pairs of Levis. Not that I looked particularly hard, but I didn't come across even one pair of G-Stars.

You didn't see them? Thats weird :confused: I was there last week and they have a table full of G-Star jeans for €50 right at the top of the stairs as you enter the mens section. They seemed to have most sizes too.

I think the store is half Jack & Jones and Levis, the other half is Diesel and G-Star. The more expensive clothes are usually in front and behind the counter where you pay.

abetarrush wrote:
    O'Connors on Grafton Street? Where abouts? I tot it was only in Liffey Valley

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....................

I actually didn't know that there was one in Liffey Valley :D

The one on Grafton Street is very close to BT2 and on the same side of the street. The blokes stuff is upstairs. There is an O'Conners in Dún Laoghaire SC too but it is totally Jack & Jones with a tiny Diesel and Firetrap section. It might as well just be a J&J store.

Raekwon wrote:
    I actually didn't know that there was one in Liffey Valley :D

The one on Grafton Street is very close to BT2 and on the same side of the street. The blokes stuff is upstairs. There is an O'Conners in Dún Laoghaire SC too but it is totally Jack & Jones with a tiny Diesel and Firetrap section. It might as well just be a J&J store.
    I was surpised they sell actualy J&J stuff. i thought they'd just sell Selected, cos there like a sub-company of J&J

Advertisement