Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking to PDF

Options
  • 04-09-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it is possible to link to a specific page in a PDF from a website?

I have a very large PDF and I'd like people to be able to quickly access the relevent sections they're after from the webpage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

AFAIK, even if you could link to a page (like an anchor in HTML) you'd still be downloading the entire document, making the shortcut somewhat redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Yup that's right. I think the only thing you could do is create different files from that one pdf and then link to this smaller pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

AFAIK, even if you could link to a page (like an anchor in HTML) you'd still be downloading the entire document, making the shortcut somewhat redundant.
    Oh I know... it's no about saving people from downloading the whole thing.. it's just it's a very large docunment and a user might only want a certain section, but if I have multiple links it's always going to jump to the first page.

Is there anyway to put anchors into a PDF?

I'd like to avoid breaking it up as it is pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just to clarify - are you using the Adobe PDF creator pro software or are you printing documents directly from your computer? I don't think I have the answer, just trying to clarify.

Okay... I have a huge handbook that I was supposed to recieve in sections, but instead I got in one big block.

Now I've got a website designed for the handbook a that links to the different sections of the handbook... but I just have a single PDF file to link to. So what I want is to be able to do is link to specific pages in the PDF so I don't have go through the work of trying to get my hands on Acrobat Creator software and breaking it all up as they were very late getting the PDF to me so I'm running tight on time... also the handbook is in 4 PDF files for different languages so it would be a lot of work to break them all up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Google Groups (searches archived newsgroups). The first thread I looked at gave me a link to an article in PDF Zone. It suggests appending #page=29 to the url to jump to a specific page.

Ah great stuff... that seems to work... But not on my Mac which insists on downloading and opening up the PDF in preview... but screw that anyway.

Thanks daymobrew... that's saved me a lot of hassle.

Advertisement