Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb - Is this fair?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ring them and tell them you want it cancelled immediately and to send someone round to pick up whatever equipment you have belonging to them. Ye will be switched back to normal in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

For a single user, normal "fair use" wouldn't ever come near the cap.

We have 5 users here and typically with downloading Linux ISOs, MS SP and other stuff we barely get to 1/2 the cap on 3M package.

The only people that ever have encountered hitting cap are either on a single connection shared to a whole apartment block or running torrents, often inexpertly setup with near 100% upstream (upload) running 24 x 7.

If you are running torrents, do check the uploading settings. Why should you be paying for the rest of the world more than you are downloading?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sponge Bob wrote:
    could be worse, could be O2 3G who will charge €907 for every Gb over the limit (75c+ Vat per Mb) :D

I make you 5.6Gb over which would cost €5000 if you were an O2 customer .

Could be worse also, if you were on NTL your account might be terminated! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Switch to an uncapped provider. If customers start leaving because of this sort of behaviour they will soon cop on.

One of the few reasons i'm staying with IBB.

Generally uncapped means either the connection is so slow that it doens't matter or that it is very expensive, there is no free internet lunch.

Would anyone point to an exception? many so called "uncapped" you just don't know what the cap is, they reserve the right to throttle, charge more or teminate for exceeding "fair use".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

To answer you question I agree it is very unfair. It would be different if you were a consistant offender and had been warned. They choose to ignore the fact that you normally stay within the limit and sometimes do not even reach it. IMO it's a bit overkill on Digiweb's part and puts me in mind of the IOL-NO Limits debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

So am i to understand that with didi web yer cap includes upload loads as well as down loads. If to that makes the 30 and 40 gig caps seem a lot worse. I find this a little off putting if it is true as I was planing to get them in soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭event

how much do some of you people download?

how can you legitimately download around 40 gig of traffic in a month?
    im not accusing, im genuinly interested what you can download that is that much?

A single person would need to be either insane or rich to do 20G of legitimate traffic in a month. Usually it is badly setup torrents (They are automatically resharing everything and may not realise it) or lots of people (whole apartment) on one block.

Sky by Broadband uses Kontiki to reshare your legitimate Sky download so that Sky pay for less server traffic. Parasites. Don't install it.

If you must use torrents to download learn what the upload settings do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

watty wrote:
    A single person would need to be either insane or rich to do 20G of legitimate traffic in a month. Usually it is badly setup torrents

I'm surpried at you Watty for such an totally off the wall remark considering a poster of your statur. It has been said multiple times across different threads in only the past week with multitueds of examples on how even a 40GB cap can be breached in a month by a single user. Not everybody uses torrents, not every body downloads / shares illegal material.

It is one of the easiest things to do, to break a 40GB cap, never mind the 20GB you can't get your head around.

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    how much do some of you people download?

how can you legitimately download around 40 gig of traffic in a month?
    im not accusing, im genuinly interested what you can download that is that much?

Well my traffic for a month now is about 60 gigs including uploads. I do a lot of work on a web site and transfer a lot of files back and forth with the other admin on same site. We also do a lot of work making game movies using fraps and a 60 sec frap file can be 100 meg. I also download TV stuff also. Its easy to use a lot of net when ya have no cap and dont have to worry about what youre downloading.

That said none of this has answered my question is yer cap wit metro using all of youre traffic up and down included? if so it makes a 30 gig cap seem a lot smaller to me.

IrishTLR wrote:
    I'm surpried at you Watty for such an totally off the wall remark considering a poster of your statur. It has been said multiple times across different threads in only the past week with multitueds of examples on how even a 40GB cap can be breached in a month by a single user. Not everybody uses torrents, not every body downloads / shares illegal material.

It is one of the easiest things to do, to break a 40GB cap, never mind the 20GB you can't get your head around.

Well I have 3 students and my wife sharing my (our) connection with 4th student at weekends... I've been using internet since 1994 and "online services" since 1986.

We just can't seem to use up more than 16 or 18G on worst periods of downloading multiple LINUX iso, online gaming, skype, etc...

There is a Server, 4 laptops, 5 PCs and a PS2 all online.

ALL my email has a "reflected copy" back to internet too. I just lack imagination as to how 30G or 40G is used up legitimately by a single user.

Yes it is Up + down, not uncommon as it is TRAFFIC that costs money, not downloads.

30G is huge really. If you really need more for a legitamate purpose (??? what???) is can be purchased.

In reality very very few GOOD services are uncapped. A good service costs money to run. Despite what people think the Internet cost money for all the operators.

I know LOTS of people that use internet, many of them students, and contrary to common belief hardly any steal stuff. Some won't even buy MP3s preferring the higher quality and flexiblity of buying their own CD.

No-one seriously interested in a Cinematic experince prefers divX downloads to a real DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Playing (and updating) WoW and using Teamspeak can use > 5 gigs a month alone. Writing and testing a BitTorrent library can use > 200 megs every day that i work on it, so that's a few gigs a month. Downloading beta versions of MMO's can be a few gigs each (and a trial might be 1-2 weeks long) add in the *very* regular patches for the clients in these beta trials (i'm in 2 at the moment, won't be buying either though :P).

All in all, thats a lot of gigs.

EDIT: I prefer downloading HD Movie trailers than crappy 240x160 size ones. That's well over 150meg per trailer...

Not many people are re-writing BitTorrent. I'd say compared with typical Internet user you are in a Niche Sport. :)

Lads I think we are going way off, and im not trying to justify my self but here is an example of legal downloads.

Quote from TV.vom.
    Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Six Degrees, Ugly Betty, The Knights of Prosperity, and The Nine will all be available on ABC.com. The shows will hit the ABC Web site the day after they air on TV.

Thats 7 Shows X 350 meg is 2 gig per week. 8 gig per month. And thats just from one net work. I watch 6 of those 7 shows. Its easy to reach yer cap with out even thinking ya downloaded much. I dont watch TV at all. When Doctor who was on the TV i actually had to ask what number BBC1 was on our tv.

Anyway to answer the question raised in the thread title, I dont think this sliding window is fair but then you signed a contract to agree to it im sure, so ya have little choice to put up with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

So am i to understand that with didi web yer cap includes upload loads as well as down loads. If to that makes the 30 and 40 gig caps seem a lot worse. I find this a little off putting if it is true as I was planing to get them in soon.

AFAIK this applies to all providers - they were always advertised as traffic allowances rather than download allowances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

AFAIK this applies to all providers - they were always advertised as traffic allowances rather than download allowances.

BT: You will be entitled to use 30GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 30GB and download 30GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 31GB then your account will be suspended.

NTL: 30Gb download limit

Eircom: Monthly megabyte allowance: 10 GB download / 1 GB upload

That's the big 3, all of which allow downloads up to the stated maximum of the allowance/cap/limit.

thats intresting I dident know that, I thought they all had unlimited upload and caped download. Good to know either way.

• Advertisement

Lads I think we are going way off, and im not trying to justify my self but here is an example of legal downloads.

Quote from TV.vom.
    Lost, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Six Degrees, Ugly Betty, The Knights of Prosperity, and The Nine will all be available on ABC.com. The shows will hit the ABC Web site the day after they air on TV.

Thats 7 Shows X 350 meg is 2 gig per week. 8 gig per month. And thats just from one net work. I watch 6 of those 7 shows. Its easy to reach yer cap with out even thinking ya downloaded much. I dont watch TV at all. When Doctor who was on the TV i actually had to ask what number BBC1 was on our tv.

Anyway to answer the question raised in the thread title, I dont think this sliding window is fair but then you signed a contract to agree to it im sure, so ya have little choice to put up with it.

Hmm. people *REALLY* watch that much TV at terrible Web TV resolution? I couldn't bear watching more than 5 mins.

I like a comfy chair, Big Screen, sharp picture. I have 2 x Sky Digiboxes, TV aerial, 100s of DVDs, multiple FTA Digital Sat inc Media PC style, four satellite distribution system and motorised dish. I'm thinking of how to approach HD now.

The www.abc.com seems limited selection poor resolution, but maybe I picted wrong links.

P.S. I never buy NTSC DVDs as these are 30% lower reslution than PAL flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

watty wrote:
    Hmm. people *REALLY* watch that much TV at terrible Web TV resolution? I couldn't bear watching more than 5 mins.

I like a comfy chair, Big Screen, sharp picture. I have 2 x Sky Digiboxes, TV aerial, 100s of DVDs, multiple FTA Digital Sat inc Media PC style, four satellite distribution system and motorised dish. I'm thinking of how to approach HD now.

The www.abc.com seems limited selection poor resolution, but maybe I picted wrong links.

P.S. I never buy NTSC DVDs as these are 30% lower reslution than PAL flavour.

Slightly off topic to the main point, but I transfer all of my DVD's to my computer. Rip them in MPEG4 down to somewhere between 700MG to 1GB each. Then hook up a computer or laptop to VGA of 42" Plasma. I find it very hard to find the difference between that and the actual DVD. But it is sooooooo much handier than than looking for DVD covers when you want to watch a particular film. Nero Media Home is your friend.

watty wrote:

Cant say I ever noticed any difference TVs have lo res by default. And I like to watch my TV in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

watty wrote:
    Not many people are re-writing BitTorrent. I'd say compared with typical Internet user you are in a Niche Sport. :)
    Exactly, i'm in a niche you never even though of. Now, how many other users have similar demands (for whatever reason) that you don't know of? You can't just say that anyone downloading over X is downloading illegal material, everyone has different usage patterns.

For example as soon as DigiWeb uncap my connection, i'm going to have to download a *lot* of torrents because there's an intermittant bug in my library that appears on average every 2-4 hours of usage. I need to be able to track that bug down and fix it, which means i'll be using my internet a *lot*. Enough to easily push me over 30gigs (again) when combined with my regular usage.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Foxwood wrote:
    BT: You will be entitled to use 30GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 30GB and download 30GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 31GB then your account will be suspended.

NTL: 30Gb download limit

Eircom: Monthly megabyte allowance: 10 GB download / 1 GB upload

That's the big 3, all of which allow downloads up to the stated maximum of the allowance/cap/limit.

I stand Corrected. Fair play Foxwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Digiweb Suck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

as in suck 100gb+ a month in your case Ricey ...was it not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

WTF! I just got Digiweb (dsl lite 1mb connection) 2 weeks ago and today i was sent a email saying that i uploaded 13 gbs and dowloaded 815 mb. Now they have restricted my connection to 128Kbps. How the hell can they do this when i dont even have 13 gigs on my pc! I know for definite that i did not upload a half a gig nevermind 13 gigs.

Are they allowed do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Squaddy wrote:
    WTF! I just got Digiweb (dsl lite 1mb connection) 2 weeks ago and today i was sent a email saying that i uploaded 13 gbs and dowloaded 815 mb. Now they have restricted my connection to 128Kbps. How the hell can they do this when i dont even have 13 gigs on my pc! I know for definite that i did not upload a half a gig nevermind 13 gigs.

Are they allowed do this?
    The stats are arse ways in their emails. It should read: Downloaded 13gigs and Uploaded 815megs. Their DSL Lite has a 10gig traffic allowance, which includes both up and down and you busted it in 2 weeks, lol.
    Thats what you call "nipping it at the bud".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

kaizersoze wrote:
    The stats are arse ways in their emails. It should read: Downloaded 13gigs and Uploaded 815megs. Their DSL Lite has a 10gig traffic allowance, which includes both up and down and you busted it in 2 weeks, lol.
    Thats what you call "nipping it at the bud".

Alrite lol, but still i doubt i even downloaded 13 gigs. Do i get charged for going over the limit?

Advertisement