Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwing me BIG time????

Options
  • 04-09-2006 1:55pm

I moved into a place on 7th July
    I gave 450 dep and rent of 450(he gave back 150 because he said it was into the month) seemed a sound guy for doing that too!
    He gave me a month's notice that was the agreement and I want to move out ASAP I could be moved out tonight if I wanted!
    I just gave him the rent though I assumed he'd give a % back as I said I was moving out so soon he can easily get a student in straight away as it’s a prime location!
    He wont give anything back at all so I’m staying for half the month which is a pain I found a place too which I'm giving a deposit on tomorrow so I can move in next Tuesday also have to give a half month rent on that too!
    I didn’t wreck his place or anything I hired a cleaner to come in once a week to do my share also because I’m hardly there and don’t have time to be cleaning also! The guy was just weird and freaked my parent's and friends out too!
    Any advice or is this the norm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

I moved into a place on 7th July
    I gave 450 dep and rent of 450(he gave back 150 because he said it was into the month) seemed a sound guy for doing that too!
    He gave me a month's notice that was the agreement and I want to move out ASAP I could be moved out tonight if I wanted!
    I just gave him the rent though I assumed he'd give a % back as I said I was moving out so soon he can easily get a student in straight away as it’s a prime location!
    He wont give anything back at all so I’m staying for half the month which is a pain I found a place too which I'm giving a deposit on tomorrow so I can move in next Tuesday also have to give a half month rent on that too!
    I didn’t wreck his place or anything I hired a cleaner to come in once a week to do my share also because I’m hardly there and don’t have time to be cleaning also! The guy was just weird and freaked my parent's and friends out too!
    Any advice or is this the norm

I presume all this is written down in the tenancy agreement? Just refer to it, and I'm sure you can work it all out.

Its done by cash and he sign's a reciept when i give him the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Just ask him for his pps number so you can claim rent relief for the time you were there, this might change his attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

indiewindy wrote:
    Just ask him for his pps number so you can claim rent relief for the time you were there, this might change his attitude.

...and tell him you will be corresponding with the PRTB as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

First of all- he is giving you a months notice, as you agreed with him, so he is not breaking that agreement. You, likewise, could have given him a months notice at any point in time. The fact that you can move out immediately is not entirely relevant to your transaction with him. While he may be thankful, unfortunately from your perspective he is under no obligation to refund you that portion of the rent for the part of the month that you are not staying (the fact that he should have no difficulty in finding a replacement tenant is unfortunately entirely irrelevant).

You are entitled to your deposit back in full, providing you have caused no damage other than normal wear and tear to the apartment/house/room (whatever it is).

If he refuses to refund the deposit to you- the PTRB have a resolution service- as mentioned above, you are entirely within your rights to consult them and ask their assistance in the matter. As a landlord he is now legally obliged to be registered with the PTRB (unless its an owner occupied house and he/she is declaring their income under the rent-a-room scheme in which case they are exempt).

At the end of the day- you are entitled to your deposit back if you leave the property as you found it, but not a refund of rent for vacating the property early (though the owner may at his/her discretion decide to refund a portion of it).

• Advertisement

Ps- you are also supposed to have a rent book.....

indiewindy wrote:
    Rent relief what is this?

Rent relief what is this?
    You are entitled to a tax credit towards your rent. This credit is at the marginal rate of tax and equal to a maximum of Euro 254 in a calendar year. Its not a massive amount (it represents relief on only 1270 Euro of rent) but its money that you are entitled to claim back and better in your pocket than in the taxmans. If you contact your local tax office they will forward you the relevant form to claim this relief. You will only have to claim it once- it will automatically be added onto your list of credits next year (and in subsequent years) so if your circumstances change it is your responsibility to notify the Revenue Commissioners. It is money that you are entitled to- so make that phone call and claim it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

smccarrick wrote:
    You are entitled to a tax credit towards your rent. This credit is at the marginal rate of tax and equal to a maximum of Euro 254 in a calendar year. Its not a massive amount (it represents relief on only 1270 Euro of rent) but its money that you are entitled to claim back and better in your pocket than in the taxmans. If you contact your local tax office they will forward you the relevant form to claim this relief. You will only have to claim it once- it will automatically be added onto your list of credits next year (and in subsequent years) so if your circumstances change it is your responsibility to notify the Revenue Commissioners. It is money that you are entitled to- so make that phone call and claim it!
    and I need his pps to claim it back?

• Advertisement

and I need his pps to claim it back?

No- just his name and the address of the property you were renting.

Advertisement