Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conflicting Information from BT & Eircom!!

• 04-09-2006 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Ok here's the scenario.

New House pre-wired by Eircom. (New Development)

I rang rang Smart to see if they covered my area, as it happened they said they did, but they dont. But anyhow, they said both times of speaking to them that all I need to do is make sure the line is 'enabled'.

I ring Eircom, "hello dont want to sign up with Eircom, as I haven't made a decision yet, but can you tell me if my line is enabled?" - CSR says " what's your address?". I give it to her, CSR says "it is indeed, if you plug a phone in you should get a sort of engaged tone".

I ring BT, tell them my line is enabled and I'd like to sign up. What's your Eircom account or Phone number Im asked. I tell them my situation, the line is enabled, first time connection etc. Sorry sir we need an account or phone number. OK, I hang up.

Back to Eircom, what do I need to get an account or number I ask. They say you need to sign up to one of the packages available. (Makes sense really). But the snag is Im signing a year contract for any of the packages. No thanks, so I hang up.

Can anybody please tell me who's right and who's wrong and what's the procedure involved?

Cheers..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom refuse to give out your account number (its called a UAN) by phone.

you may email complaints@eircom.ie and get it that way .

once BT have all of name/address/phone/UAN you may move to them

minimum contract is 1 year and the number will be on your bill when it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

Sponge Bob wrote:

Firstly cheers for the reply.

But let me understand this. I have an Eircom Account number and associated phone number even though this new connection and I have no history with them (apart from the pre-wiring and initial enabling). Is that correct?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:

But presumably you have to actually open an account with Eircom to get an account number?

I have never heard of a 12 month requirement for a telephone account with Eircom?

dub45 wrote:
    But presumably you have to actually open an account with Eircom to get an account number?
    or else eircom opened one for you without you asking for it and the eircom broadband modem will arrive through the post some day soon :D , just like that .
    I have never heard of a 12 month requirement for a telephone account with Eircom?
    correct, one month minimum is the contract length for a phone line.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    or else eircom opened one for you without you asking for it and the eircom broadband modem will arrive through the post some day soon :D , just like that .

correct, one month minimum is the contract length for a phone line.

I was referring mostly to broadband during my initial conversation, so the 12 month contract could have come from that, or perhaps, she did mention free installation, maybe you get that on the grounds of a 12 month contract.

But anyhow, you reckon I need to setup a Telephone account with Eircom for one month, pay them the installation fee, then switch to BT? Now that's just plain silly!! But am I surprised. NO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

YoYOPowder wrote:
    Back to Eircom, what do I need to get an account or number I ask. They say you need to sign up to one of the packages available. (Makes sense really). But the snag is Im signing a year contract for any of the packages. No thanks, so I hang up.
    You don't need to sign up to eirconm for a year to get a phone number. You get your phone nuber (NOT YOUR DSL!!!!) from eircom, and then the following day you order yor broadband (and calls, if you want) from BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If all you're getting is a "soft dialtone" then you don't have an active phoneline. It just means that the wiring is complete at both ends. You do not have an account with Eircom, so no account number and no phone number.
    You need to ring Eircom and tell them you want your line activated for calls and sign up. There is no minimum contract for line or calls. You will then be given a phone number and later an account number.
    Once you have those and your line is tested and passed for BB you can sign up for BB with who ever you like. The most you'll have to pay Eircom is 1 months line rental. Connection is free atm if all the wiring is in place.

kaizersoze wrote:
    If all you're getting is a "soft dialtone" then you don't have an active phoneline. It just means that the wiring is complete at both ends. You do not have an account with Eircom, so no account number and no phone number.
    You need to ring Eircom and tell them you want your line activated for calls and sign up. There is no minimum contract for line or calls. You will then be given a phone number and later an account number.
    Once you have those and your line is tested and passed for BB you can sign up for BB with who ever you like. The most you'll have to pay Eircom is 1 months line rental. Connection is free atm if all the wiring is in place.

Conclusive, correct and right :)

What they had done was try to sell me Broadband/Phone & Phone Watch all setup for free with 12 month contract, this included three months free line rental and one month free BB.

Thanks Kaizersoze..

ah right !

the 12 month contract is for PHONEWATCH but that locks the other 2 (rental and BB) into a bundle with Phonewatch for 12 months. so you do not bugger off to BT who are a hell of a lot cheaper.

They explained it really clearly though , they always do :D

Advertisement