Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dive Sites in Ireland

• 04-09-2006 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Have done some travelling through Asia and Australia last year I managed to get my PADI and Advanced.... I really love the whole diving experience and would like to do some dives in Ireland. Could someone recommend some good diving sites in Ireland... the usual, places where theres lots of marine life and lots of colour (if thats possible in Ireland). Also what are wreck dives in Ireland like, I've never done a wreck dive.
    Finally, how does diving in Ireland compare to diving in eg. Thailand.... obviously colder!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Will have ago at answering some of your questions!

Well I dive outta Cork and there are only a few good shore dive sites because of the silt & muddy bottom composition and this seems to have settled all over the place, a pain but have to deal with it!!
    Roberts Cove (in Cork) is a general good all rounder, vast amounts of marine life, everything you could want to see or photograph.

As for wrecks, well if you can imagine sheets of steel plate and general metal junk lying around on the ground then thats, usually, your average wreck. Most of the wreck I dive are usualyy like that alot of stuff to get snagged in, in saying that there not all like that, some are proper intact ship's or sub's.

And as for diving here compared to abroad, yes its alot different, viz in generally poor (compared to what your used to) average 5-8m in summer and can be nil in winter, just all feel! Exposure protection is another serious issue that you'll have to consider, this year my computer didnt head above 15 degrees and lowest was 5 degrees so thats something to think about, drysuits are extremely popular for obivous reasons! With this in mind, your air/gas comsumption will go up also so you'll either want a bigger volume cylinder or just do shorter dives:eek: Again reg's need to be cold water rated so forget any reg you might of brought back with you!

If you just ask in a dive shop/centre they'll be more than happy to chat about it with ya and you;ll get a better idea.

All the best,
    Ian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

It varies... as Ian said it could be nil but i've seen up to 40+ vis and regularly over 20m vis in places like donegal.

Have a look through the dive reports sticky up the top and there is another useful links sticky at the top as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

TallGirl wrote:
    Could someone recommend some good diving sites in Ireland... the usual, places where theres lots of marine life and lots of colour (if thats possible in Ireland). Also what are wreck dives in Ireland like, I've never done a wreck dive.

When i came back to ireland from the US I dived in baltimore, cork. Had a really bad experience with the dive company but there is more than one operating there, and there are supposed to be some good wreck dives off cork but i havent done them so cannt recommend.

I have had some great dives with scuba dive west in renvyle in galway, they are really excellent as are the dive centre in kilkee, clare.

Obviously it is alot colder than what you are used to and not at all as colourful but i have seen regularly when diving out west, seals, dolphins (loads of them), lobster, eels and the usual small fish that are around.

One thing that I found really freaky when I did my first shallow dive in Ireland is getting used to kelp which gorws everywhere. It freaked me out because when you are swimming over it you, it is moving with the surge and looks like it is coming up towards you, but of course it isnt.

TallGirl wrote:
    Finally, how does diving in Ireland compare to diving in eg. Thailand.... obviously colder!!
    I learned to dive in the US and did all my diving for the first 4 years in warm tropical water. It was a shock to dive in ireland but after doing it a few times i got used to it. The water temperature varies from about 12 degrees C in May to about 18 degrees C by around september. If you dont have dry suit you will dive with 7mil suit with a 5 mil shortie over it or a semi dry (i thin its 7mm all over) if the dive centre has one. Gloves and hoodie are essential earlier in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TallGirl

Thanks a million for all the tips. I don't have any diving gear myself so would have to rent it all off a dive centre..... will definitely be looking for a dry suit.... I'm Irish so know all about how cold the water can be.
    So, I suppose the main question now is.... "Where to go". Where are the best dive sites? I know, its a bit of a general question but just from your own experiences?
    Cheers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Hi there, Recommending where to go will depend a bit on where you are based. I'd highly recommend the North and West coasts, as they get fantastic viz. I was doing a 48m dive off Rathlin in June and got 25m+ viz at that depth, and the dive centre apologised as it hadn't been that "bad" all year! There's a list of dive centres on my website, along with their websites and contact info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

TallGirl wrote:
    Thanks a million for all the tips. I don't have any diving gear myself so would have to rent it all off a dive centre..... will definitely be looking for a dry suit.... I'm Irish so know all about how cold the water can be.
    So, I suppose the main question now is.... "Where to go". Where are the best dive sites? I know, its a bit of a general question but just from your own experiences?
    Cheers:)

Scubadive west are good. You can rent all your gear from them. You can do some local dive sites like the Conger run (loads of Conger Eels). Last time we went one of the instructors was feeding them from a Tuna tin. Lots of local dive sites and they used to do trips to the Aran Islands (weekend trips).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Mullaghmore in Co.Sligo is nice, you can dive there with northwest adventures I think they're called. If the weather is nice they will take you across to St John's Point which is a lovely dive.

Otherwise, my best diving here has been off Inishbofin with ScubaDive west dive safari - BRILLIANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cluin

I dive in Asia, Winter and Ireland summer. I like both equaly. The visibility here on the South West coast is generaly good but depends of course on weather.

This year I have been with Dolphins and seen trigger fish (in ireland). As for colour there is plenty... Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cluin

dolphin2.JPG

Not the best photo but you get the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Check the CFT site:

http://www.irishunderwatercouncil.com

and you can get the Guide to Irish Dive Sites (2nd Edition), that book will give you a good idea of what's available.

Enjoy,

Seadeuce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

Ditto http://www.dusac.org/Guide

Cheers, Stephen

Advertisement