Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I cheat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

WasIWrong wrote:
    As much as i hate myself for hurting her the way I did (however inadvertently), I would hate myself even more if i deceived her.

She would of been happier if you deceived her though. Unless she found out, but that would of been unlikely.
    WasIWrong wrote:
    And Dr. Bollocko, a face to face isn't possible for at least two months (with my flying over to see her)... if I could see her, I'd guarantee to sort it out in half an hour. To be able to hug her and comfort her would be enough, i think... but I'm thinking that deep down, it's her missing me that's interlaced with this anger that's making it so damn hard to get through to her.

Chances are its the thought of you throwing your lad into another girl after only 3 weeks that is probaly making her anrgy.

If you only lasted 3 weeks shes probaly thinking to herself that this wont be the last time you find some other girl to crack it into in the next 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cupsoftea

I'm not sure you will get her back to be honest. You don't seem to think you did anything wrong , you were just sticking to the agreement right? I'm sure she doesn't give a damn about the agreement.

What she wants is to get the image of you with another girl out of her head. Not sure how that will ever happen. Like a previous poster said, keep grovelling and in 40 years time she might forgive you. That is probably going to be the score.

If you want to get her back, you need to get on a plane get over to her, tell her it meant nothing, that it was a huge disappointment, that you didn't enjoy it , the other girl had no personality compared to her, was fatter, less pretty, etc etc But you need to mean this, you need to be absolutely sure that your girlfriend is the best thing in the world and be prepared to prove this every day for the said 40 years, if you are lucky enough that she can ever face you again that is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you could beg borrow or steal the money to see her it may well be worth it. But then again you have to be true to yourself as well and not be running away from life everytime a romantic pitfall comes your way.
    I myself quite often cant see the wood for the trees with my lovelife and often tend towards the overly dramatic. (The overly dramatic is really working out for me by the way)
    I let myself get a bit carried away, assume others get carried away too. But some people are.... rational.

Good luck, but no matter what happens there are good sides.
    It might be good to be able to get to know yourself again, know what I mean? After all the non-single life for the last 8 or so years it is hard to hold on to your own personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Flork

Did you cheat? Technically no.
    Did you cause great hurt to the girl you love so much? Yes.
    But it is ok, you didn't cheat par sé.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WasIWrong

If you only lasted 3 weeks shes probaly thinking to herself that this wont be the last time you find some other girl to crack it into in the next 4 months.

It's not a question of lasting only three weeks... we've been together for a year and a half, already, sometimes going 3-4 months without seeing each other.

This year is different. Final exams, less time to talk, both of us neglecting one another. We made this decision for both of us. Sure, I suggested it, but she didn't have to agree. I might have been resentful, perhaps, it's true, if she hadn't agreed. But if she'd expressed more concretely that she would have a problem with it, then perhaps I would have thought it over a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its time for the GRAND GESTURE. Do that or let it go. IM email or the phone just aint gonna cut it.

Forget the agreement - you need to make her feel better if you want her back.

Its time for the GRAND GESTURE. Do that or let it go. IM email or the phone just aint gonna cut it.

Forget the agreement - you need to make her feel better if you want her back.

EXACTLY, that sums it up perfectly. GRAND GESTURE EXTRA LARGE.
    You suggested sleeping with other women and would have been resentful if she said no!! Please , you are going to have to go all out to get back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

i can't understand why people do these type of things. if you care for someone enough you will be hurt if they sleep with someone else even with an "agreement".

basically, she gave you licence to sow you oats and you didn't dawdle. it is actually possible to go for a few months without having sex.
    Woaah. Both parties agreed to have an open relationship.

Your statement basically implies that the girl only agreed to do so as a stealthy test of the relationship?

Feck that. That's a bit like saying God only planted those dinasour bones to test the faith of the true believers who belive in creationism.

We're guys, and as such, we need simple and plain instruction. Play head games with us and you'll lose through no fault of our own.

OP - you didn't cheat and don't be prepared to be put on a guilt trip over it.

No he didn't cheat.
    BUT he wanted the open relationship in the first place.
    HE would have resented being denied his open relationship.
    HE took the very first opportunity to be with another girl.

He didn't cheat, if this is what he wants fair play to him. But he can't honestly expect his girlfriend to go congratulating him on his success. Of couse she is going to be pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

"Lets see other people"

"Ummmm, okay, I suppose"

[time passes]

"Hi honey, I had sex with someone else last night, cool, right?"

Just split up with your girlfriend and learn something valuable about this for future relationships - namely that very, very few women from Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales will be "all right" with you having sex with someone else and then telling them about it.

Oh - and "do you think we should see other people" is the male question equivalent of "does my bum look big in this" for women - you're always going to say either nothing, or what you think the other person wants to hear.

Look. It doesnt matter what label you stick on what happened or didnt happen. This is what you have on your hands right now.

A girlfriend who is very upset with you. You cant go back and changed what happened just as you cant squeeze toothpaste back into the tube.

Do you want her back? If so you will have to do something about it, and that is to SUBJECTIVELY REFRAME her feelings, which means drop the objectivety, drop all this agreement **** and show her that you are worth more than this miscommunication or tactical error.

There comes a point where you need to put aside who was right and who was wrong and focus on the concept you share for your future, and this goes for any relationship.

"- you're always going to say either nothing, or what you think the other person wants to hear.

No, no you're not, not if you're responsible with your words. Her agreeing to this shows complete lack of ownership over her words and her feelings. I dont know how hes supposed to invest any faith in whatever agreement they come up with next.

Most of say if you cheat on me I will kill you or leave you or both:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Jasus, Everone, Give the guy a chance. It's typical of Boards to have people saying the same thing four pages long....

He made a mistake, he realises now, an open relationship isn't necessary, let's move on from that issue, EVERYONE has made that clear...

If that made her angry despite having a verbally clear agreement, she must be having her own problems. If she's angry, dont be guilty, your open agreement wasn't broken.

I presume you didn't say anything like: "we didn't use condoms", "she's better than you"...typical words on MSN that trigger many people, watch out!

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Well I wouldnt say you necessarily did anything wrong as ye did agree on an open relationship. Maybe she was using the open relationship thing to test you or something .

But to be fair ye werent going to be apart for that long and you say you love this girl , agreement or no agreement you must have known fuc*ing another woman was going to hurt her , Id say reassess the entire thing , if you feel the need to have an open relationship whilst going out with the girl you supposedly love things dont sound right . Thats just my take on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭judybaby

I think your girlfriend was testing you somewhat! Sometimes as humans we play games and it all comes bac to haunt you.....hope things work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

you say that you haven't had much time for one another what with final exams and everything.
    You say that you've been going out a year and a half but been apart 3-4 months before, ehm? so when have you been together??
    Sorry, for sidetracking but the above is just an aside as I am trying to conjure up some sort of idea of the relationship.
    "This year is different. Final exams, less time to talk, both of us neglecting one another."
    After a year and a half and you're already neglecting each other.
    That doesn't sound very healthy really to me.

I would say that you are on the road to dumpsville personally.
    And forgive me if I'm wrong but you'r attitude is coming accross a little callous and scary.
    Sure, I suggested it, but she didn't have to agree. I might have been resentful, perhaps, it's true, if she hadn't agreed
    no pressure there then.

I agree that open relationships do work in some circumstances, but in this particular one, it sounds like a cake and eat it situation for you and an attempt to give you what you want from your gf.
    It didnt work out.
    Some contracts don't.

I think that you should figure that whether you did right or wrong in this case isn't the issue.
    It's the fact that after the matter you seem to be missing a sensitivity chip or three on the matter of your gf's feelings.

I'd say she is possibly preping to get rid of you.
    And as someone else said, made it was the final test for her to see if the realtionship had any future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

No - I do not think that you cheated. However I do feel that your gf gave you freedom to test the relationship and see if you would go back to her/stay loyal to her during your time apart...you did not and now she is hurt, she may or may not get over it, time will tell.

I think that it is only when you are truely free from a relationship that you can see if she is the right person for you - by your actions I would question if she is. Please do not take this as a criticism, I have a great deal of sympathy for you and while I have not been in an identical situation to you I can relate. For me, being given my freedom made me realise how much I wanted to spend the rest of my life with the person (it is a lot more complicated than that but that is the jist of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

As has been said, if ye couldn't last 4 months apart, ye had no hope to begin with. Also, what kind of a foolacháin tells his gf about another woman when she's obviously already pissed off? What kind of response did you expect?

who was better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

WasIWrong wrote:
    - Did I do something wrong? Or is this just the shock that something happened so soon?
    - Has this happened to you?
    - Is this relationship over? I'd do anything to make it better, but I'm not going to accept blame for wrong-doing that didn't happen.

It doesn't matter if we think you did something wrong, it doesn't matter if a jury of 12 of your peers think you did something wrong.

What you did fundamentally altered your relationship with this woman, for the worse.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the same time one has to wonder how well do you know this girl that you didn't realise she was not actually ok with this. You say it is a long distance thing. Out of the year and half how much time have you actually spent with her. A year and half isn't that long anyway, but coupled with having months where you hardly see her, do you really know this girl very well?

The motivation for this open relationship seems to have been coming exclusively from you, and it took her a long time to agree to it. Its not like she jumped at the idea, it took her days to consider it which means she had lot of issues with the idea. In those few days she was probably convincing herself that she was ok with it, but when reality struck she realised that she never was. She seems to have agreed to it because it was something you wanted to try.

So were you wrong? Does it matter? If you get her to agree that you weren't wrong do you think that will change how she feels?

I would say you were naieve and probably blinded to the effect this would have on your girlfriend, by your desire to have an open relationship. There is nothing "wrong" with that, but it doesn't bode well for your relationship. You point out that you have gone a lot longer than 4 months without sex, so why did you want to have this agreement now?

Wrong doesn't really come into it because ultimately right or wrong isn't going to change how she feels.

Its sad to say but I think it would probably be health for both of you to end the relationship.

The long distance thing, coupled with your desire for your "teenage years", coupled with this (which is going to have a massive negative effect on the relationship) is far far to much negative pressure on a relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Do unto others & all that.

Personally I would feel a bit sick if my gf was wrapped in the arms of another man with his appendage lodged into her.
    And because of that I wouldn't agree to what you did. Never mind suggest it.

Now the fact is that you have no qualms about this - which is fair enough. And you agreed to it - so it stands to reason that you've nothing to be feeling bad about, and instead you should be angry at her for being angry at you. Afterall you've no issue with what you've done (and she agreed), so why are you altering your standards and beliefs because she suddenly doesn't share them.

If you really stand by the decision you made together, you've nothing to be sorry for, and you should tell her this.

On the flipside - it's possible you've learnt that the idea of boning another girl (something men by their nature desire) doesn't go hand in hand with loving and caring for a particular girl. Go back to what I said at the start of this post does that stand true for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

The only thing you did wrong was telling her.
    WasIWrong wrote:
    Okay, tricky situation here. Gimme your honest opinion on this one, people.

About three weeks ago, my girlfriend went away for four months. I won't see her again for a little while, and I'm not okay with it. We discussed what impact this would have on us, and we decided to make our relationship an open relationship. We would allow the other to see other people, do whatever they wanted to, with the promise that there would be no secrets, and that you'd never put yourself at risk of disease, etc, always using contraception, and whatever. And then she left.

So the other night, I met a girl and we really hit it off. We went out for drinks, and it became apparant that she liked me, too. So, one thing led to another, and I made my move. She reciprocated, and we went back to my place. I didn't lead her on, or anything. She knew I had a girlfriend, and that I wasn't going to leave her, and that this thing that we had that night wasn't leading anywhere. We had sex.

The next day, the girl left, and I went about my business, work, then home again, and spoke with girlfriend online. She was in a bad mood, but I remembered our agreement. No secrets! So I told her what happened. I did feel a little guilty, at first, this being the first time either of us had been with someone else since this new agreement took effect. Of course it was going to be weird.

To make a long story short, she flew off the handle. Angry at me, can't stand the thought of me, can't look at photos of me anymore. She's guilt tripping at me, upset at me all the time, and it really stretches my nerves.

Keep in mind that this is the girl I love. I would never intentionally hurt her for any reason. I would do anything for her, including calling off the open relationship. She's more important to me than any other girl could be. But it doesn't seem to be enough anymore. Even if we went back to being monogamous, she said things wouldn't be the same.

She seems to want me to beg for forgiveness, but I'm still adamant that I've not put a single foot wrong. I did everything we agreed on, including coming clean first chance I got.

Comments please:

- Did I do something wrong? Or is this just the shock that something happened so soon?
    - Has this happened to you?
    - Is this relationship over? I'd do anything to make it better, but I'm not going to accept blame for wrong-doing that didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

*No no no no no no no no no noooooooooooooooo (Dr. Cox in Scrubs)

If you are both immature enough to agree to a break then there is no future for you in my opinion.

If you really love her you would not have agreed to allow another man have his wicked way with her. Kissing her and making love to her. (put yourself in her shoes now)

No. If she's mad tough, you should have been strong enough not to do it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

WOW! :eek:
    Put yourself in your GF's shoes, what would you say if she had f**ked another man??
    If you weren't happy with her going away why didn't you just end it with her there and then??
    Because you wanted to have your cake and eat it!!
    I agree with previous posters in that she probably agreed to the whole open relationship thing just to test you, and you FAILED with flying colours! :mad: You couldn't even keep it in your pants for 3 weeks for f**ks sake!!

Couldn't you have just had a w**k or something??? :confused:

Hopefully she'll dump your ass when she gets back, if she has any sense!
    You deserve everything you get! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Young love eh.......

It seems to me like you were both looking for answers concerning your relationship.

You've both got them.

Move on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

sullivk wrote:
    WOW! :eek: You are a complete w*nker IMHO.

It's quite obvious sullivk that you have not read this forums Rules and Charter.
    Personal abuse will get you a ban in this forum.
    Consider this your warning.

stp
    You're here long enough to know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

While you are "technically" correct in that you didn't do anything wrong I can understand why she might be miffed slightly

She was SO important to you that you couldn't wait 4 months. She leaves and 3 weeks later you shag another girl, well it just screams romance to me.

The statement above is WRONG in so many ways its unreal.

Obviously she intended to do the same thing if she got the chance ... why would she agree to an open relationship otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

WasIWrong wrote:
    my girlfriend went away for four months.

This is the girl you love but yet you couldn't wait 4 months! :eek:

Well I don't think you cheated on her and I don't believe you love her.

katrien_ie wrote:
    Obviously she intended to do the same thing if she got the chance ... why would she agree to an open relationship otherwise?

Why does anyone agree to something in a relationship that they are not happy about? Why does Jada Pinket Smith let Will Smith stray when he is on location? Why did Ali Landry, one of the hottest women on the planet, keep letting Mario Lopez away with cheating?

The reason? To please the other person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

stp wrote:
    who was better?

hilarious!!!!

But seriously, from my experience alot of women like to say one thing and mean the complete opposite. if she had done it first then it wouldn't be an issue for her, but therein lies the problem, you can't do something like that untill she has done it 1st. I think you reallly need to be sure you love the girl, i love my girlfriend and if she was going off for a few months i'd be slapping a chastity belt on her just in case she was tempted & wouldn't cross my mind to head out on the pull. I think that also the fact that you went straight in for the one-night-stand, and not just a snog in a bar/club might have something to do with it. when it comes down to it, i wouldn't say you cheated if the original conversation went exactly as you put it, but that you need to learn a bit more about the inner workings of the insane mind of the female of the species!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

No, you didn't cheat. You have to find out why your gf agreed to an open relationship if she didn't want you to have sex with anyone else. I think the very fact you both entered into an open relationship because you wanted to test the water elsewhere shows massive cracks in your relationship anyway. Perhaps you found this girl on the rebound & you need to spend some time as a young, free & single man? Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Sorry Beruthiel, comment edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

A deal is a deal!!! your totally in the right dude... i reckon she's reeking cos you got there first!

You managed to wait a whole 3 weeks? Wow, you must really love her.

From what I can see, she went into the open relationship for your benefit which is fine. And no, technically you didn't cheat. You did however jump into bed with someone else the first chance you got. If I were in her shoes, I'd certainly be questioning your supposed "love" for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Don't you know ANYTHING about women????

If a girl says she dosen't want a present for her birthday, you better be feckin sure you get her the biggest, brightest, sparkliest present you can't afford!!

Example: If you're out looking around shops with your girlfriend and you think you'll be a real charmer and buy her something nice, spur of the moment and suprise her and get in the good books for later, you decide to point out a nice watch...you say "wow, look at that watch, it's really nice, I'm going to get it for you" and she says "No, don't be silly, anyway I don't like the colour of it" .....that isn't her politely, but greatfully, turning down your offer, and that deffenatly DOSEN'T mean she dosen't want the fricken watch, that just means she wants the one beside it that's a different colour, but she's not going to say it, because that's to fricken simple!

So when she's in a huff later and you can't figure out why, it's because you don't love her enough to "read" her or "understand" her or whatever other crap they worry about...and you didn't do exactly the right thing in an impossible situation.

Dude, women are like a ancient chinese riddle...there is no right answer, you just gotta make sure you don't do anything, ANYTHING, that could set them off, cause (No offense girls, cover your ears) they're psycho's!

And they can afford to do this, cause they know, and don't tell me they don't know, cause THEY KNOW they can last a hell of a lot longer without us than we can without them...It's fricken torture man...god is defenatly a chick and us men are her play thing.

So when your girlfriend says you can have sex with other girls, don't be an idiot...don't do it...and don't be a nuclear idiot by doing it then telling her all about it like there's nothing wrong...

No Secrets? Yeah, better feckin believe it, cause she wants to know if you passed the test or not....

DON'T YOU GET IT??? IT'S ALL A BIG TEST AND THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWERS, WE'RE SCREWED, WE CAN'T WIN, WE'VE LOST BEFORE THE GAME EVEN STARTS! BUT WE HAVE TO PLAY!!! WHERE'S THE JUSTICE?? WHERRRREE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WasIWrong

I hate the way people keep harping on about me lasting three weeks. In an open relationship, you aren't celibate, therefor you can do as you like.

And, as said, she told me she knew full well that I'd intend to go out and test the waters. It was only that she didn't know herself well enough to know how she'd react.

And, incidentally, she and i are on speaking terms again, and were skyping last night and tonight and generally having a laugh. We may survive this yet.

I'll keep you updated on whether or not we decide to:

a) Cancel the open-relationship
    b) Keep the open-relationship
    c) Cancel the open-relationship, but to give her a revenge shag to even the balance (a little childish, if you ask me)
    d) Break up.

In the meantime, keep the discussion going, by all means. Crisis seems to be averted, here, though. We've both learned a lot about ourselves, perhaps, but not quite enough to have made the ordeal worthwhile.

Oh, and to hell with all of you saying you don't think I love her. You don't know her. And you don't know me.

WasIWrong wrote:
    Oh, and to hell with all of you saying you don't think I love her. You don't know her. And you don't know me.
    That's the problem, most women can't seperate love and sex.

Don't listen to the bitter, judgemental ones!

You were right.

Nick wrote:

If a girl says she dosen't want a present for her birthday, you better be feckin sure you get her the biggest, brightest, sparkliest present you can't afford!!
    Damn right. Best post of the thread.

Women...can't live with them...pass the peanuts.

Nick wrote:
    DON'T YOU GET IT??? IT'S ALL A BIG TEST AND THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWERS, WE'RE SCREWED, WE CAN'T WIN, WE'VE LOST BEFORE THE GAME EVEN STARTS! BUT WE HAVE TO PLAY!!! WHERE'S THE JUSTICE?? WHERRRREE?

Yeah, I think we all know where you look for it. lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

WasIWrong wrote:
    I hate the way people keep harping on about me lasting three weeks. In an open relationship, you aren't celibate, therefor you can do as you like.

Well you didn't waste any time did you?! Of course she's gonna be pissed if she loves you the way you love her. Maybe she was testing you to see how long it would take you to do something.
    But tbh if you really love her, why were you with another girl so soon? The whole "open relationship" thing is bullsh*t in my opinion. Either stay together or break up, that whole grey region thing never works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 _patchouli

I think that the relationship could be salvaged when she comes to appreciate that you were honest, that you didn't think you'd done wrong by her.
    How much worse the situation could have been if you'd gone out with the other girl, kept it from her and later she found out from someone else.

Your mistake was in the timing and the way you told her.
    You should have waited till the end of the four months, after you'd had some time to rendez-vous before mentioning it.

The original "agreement" may have been less of an agreement than you actually perceived it. So if she said "yes, go ahead and sleep with other girls if you want to", it could easily have been sarcasm that you didn't pick up on.

Hopefully you will both have learned lessons and be able to move on.

WasIWrong wrote:
    And, as said, she told me she knew full well that I'd intend to go out and test the waters. It was only that she didn't know herself well enough to know how she'd react.

No offense but you seem much more interested in showing us (and yourself) that she orignally agreed and is now being unreasonable, than accepting that she obviously did have a problem with having an open relationship, and that maybe you should have picked up on that fact.

She says she didn't know herself well enough to know how she would react. I would say that was obvious from the amount of time she needed to think about your proposal. Is that not a reason not to do this in the first place. She was obviously going along with what you wanted, maybe you should have stepped in an said "look, you clearly seem concerned by this idea, maybe we should leave it"

It is also clear that you didn't know her well enough to know how she would react. You can't really be surprised at the way this turned out, you don't know this girl enough to know that when she says she is "ok" with such a tentative idea like an open relationship, that she is actually ok with it.

Did you consider much about her when you made the suggestion, did you have a prediction about what she would say or how she would react? Or did you just cross your fingers and go "Come on....!"
    WasIWrong wrote:
    b) Keep the open-relationship
    I hope that is a joke?? :confused:

She obviously doesn't want an open relationship, I find it hard to believe you are even considering proposing that you two continue with the set up that has already upset her so much.

If she eventually agrees to an open relationship again how will you know she has not just convinced herself again she is ok with it.
    WasIWrong wrote:
    All we have to go on is your posts, and from your posts it seems her feelings in the matter come a distant second to how you feel and what you want.

You're top prioriety seemed to be getting us to agree you did nothing "wrong", to ease your feelings of guilt that your partner was very upset by something you did.

You seemed to be rather blinded to how your partner reacted to your proposal of an open relationship, I would imagine because you wanted it and didn't wish to notice if she was or was not uncomfortable by the situation, which she obviously was.

And now when it has been made perfectly clear that she is very uncomfortable with having an open relationship you are still considering continuing as you were.

You may believe you love this woman. Love is such a abstract concept a definition is largely meaningless anyway. But it would seem to me that through all this her feelings on the matter have come a distant second to yours, and what she wants is considered so long as it is compatable with what you want. "Love" wouldn't be the first word I would use to describe a set up like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

WasIWrong wrote:

I know that you shouldn't shag another bird if you love your gf.

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

jaysus folks... THEY WERE ON A BREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!

The only thing he did wrong was tell her, and not break up properly.

OP Just make sure she gets over this and doesnt try to hold this over you in the future. good luck.

Magic Pips wrote:
    jaysus folks... THEY WERE ON A BREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!
    They weren't on a break, they had agreed to have an open relationship.
    Magic Pips wrote:
    The only thing he did wrong was tell her, and not break up properly.
    As part of that agreement they had agreed to tell each other everything they did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

WasIWrong wrote:
    c) Cancel the open-relationship, but to give her a revenge shag to even the balance (a little childish, if you ask me)

And with that one comment, I really don't understand you at all.

Do you mean it's childish for her to want to sleep with someone else because you did? Or is the idea of her having sex with another man now bothering you so you're taking the approach of "cancel the open relationship and stay celibate and we'll forget that I had sex with another woman and you can't have sex with anyone else"?

I tell you what baffles me. How anyone, anyone can believe that your emotions will actually be regulated to any extent by the terms and conditions of an agreement.

It's like saying to someone "let's make an agreement that I can slap you in the face", and then being surprised that when you do it, they say "ouch, that hurt, you bastard." Sure they let you do it, but did you really think it wouldn't hurt them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

Nick wrote:

whats all that watch business about nick????, MEN ARE NOT MINDREADERS! If a girl tells you to go off and 'enjoy yourself', then thats what you do!

If she said you can't have an open relationship then you dont!

SIMPLE AS!

you absolutely did not cheat and are 100% in the right!

You guys are not getting it. DROP WHO IS RIGHT AND WHO IS WRONG. Who cares?

They are talking now and they can build from there. It was a misunderstanding. She agreed to something she shouldnt have agreed to and he exploited what was probably meant as a "worst case scenario" clause in an agreement that was made in good faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

katrien_ie wrote:

Because its a Test! 0_o

(Donning my Antiflame suit, this is just my opinion)
    I'll be honest im probably very backward in my thinking because first off I think having an open relationship is b*llsh*t. If I didnt want to be with the girl in the first place I wouldn't have gone out with her, and if I wanted to shag other women then I would break it off. To me its really that simple.

Granted in the OP case I was probably a little harsh in my origional comment but I honestly though it was unreal his claim to love this girl and then going off and shaging another, it just baffles me, agreement or not.

If you love someone you dont shag other people 4 months or not. Agreement or not

Now I know to the rest of the world everything isn't so black and white and I honestly do hope the OP gets his GF back and everything works out for them.
    I think certainly in his case, he should go out and "sow his seeds" etc and see what other women are like so he has no regrets and never wonders again what it would be like to be with someone else. Certainly I would urge him to do it now rather than doing it later

But to your origional question why would she agree to it. Isn't that just one of the things people do when they go away, kinda like saying, "I still think your great and If I wasn't going away Id stay with you but you know 4 months is a hell of a long time ... Who KNOWS what could happen... lots of parties... new city... drinking.. don't want to have any regrets.. just incase lets have an open relationship"

She probably thought it was a good idea too just incase so they wouldn't be doing the dirt on each other, then when the reality of what she agreed too hit her she freaked out at the OP. Or she could be a romantic and have the opinion "Ok, ill give him some room (Open Relationship) and see what he does (Test) if he is true to his word and that he loves me, I will know sooner or later" I dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

They are talking now and they can build from there. It was a misunderstanding. She agreed to something she shouldnt have agreed to and he exploited what was probably meant as a "worst case scenario" clause in an agreement that was made in good faith.

Agreed. I hope it works out for the OP

• Advertisement
Advertisement