Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I cheat?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WasIWrong

To the best of my ability, it has...

We both still love each other. We're planning our summer together for next year.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I'll keep you informed of our progress in this epic ordeal... and to those nay-sayers who think open relationships don't work, we haven't ruled out the possibility that we might still have one. Perhaps it was a matter of getting over that first hump (if you'll excuse the unintended pun), after which, you know what to expect.

Regards,

WasIWrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cupsoftea

OH MY GOD,

Are you seriously still pushing for an open relationship???!!!! She will of course cop on eventually and marry your best friend if there is any justice in the world.

Sorry but I just can't get my head around your relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

WasIWrong wrote:
    we haven't ruled out the possibility that we might still have one.

Don't you mean you haven't ruled out the possibility that you will ask your girl friend again to let you have one?

Where did this "we" business come from. This appears to be all coming from you. From what you have said your girlfriend seems to have little desire for an open relationship, and clearly is not happy at the idea of you sleeping with other people.

Or put it another way, do you think if you said "nah, I've changed my mind, I don't want an open relationship" your girl friend would be disappointed, or say "yes but I want one". Doesn't sound like it from what you have described.

As I said, though you profess you love her deeply, you seem to continue to put what you want well ahead of consideration for her feelings or what she wants.

Is that really love?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

From what I can gather from your gf's reaction she really does not want an open relationship - initially I had a lot of sympathy for you, I have been in the position of not being certain and needing my freedom to find out that I really loved my partner but the fact that you still want and open relationship suggests an inability to understand your girlfriend and a certain selfishness...she may very well stick with you because she loves you but it would not be a healthy relationship for her.

My partner and I split under very bad circumstances and I had every right to start a new relationship but in the end we could not bear to be apart but the fact that both of us had been in other relationships haunted me for a long time even though the new relationship that I had was a very nice one...I wish that we had never split up in the first place, though I am very thankful that we are still together and we are totally in love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Originally Posted by WasIWrong
    Oh, and to hell with all of you saying you don't think I love her. You don't know her. Clearly neither do youAnd you don't know me.very glad of that
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Wicknight wrote:
    As I said, though you profess you love her deeply, you seem to continue to put what you want well ahead of consideration for her feelings or what she wants.

Is that really love?

For some people, that is exactly what it is.

Good luck OP, but be careful.... sometimes where the genitals go, the heart follows. You are seriously risking losing her. Do you want that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Can't believe you are STILL pushing for the open relationship! It is clear from her reaction that it is not what she wants...If you REALLY loved her you would want her to be happy, you would stop thinking about whats in your pants and start thinking about this girl that you "love" feelings.

From what I've read it seems that she has forgiven you for what you have done and all you can think about now is your next one night stand??!! :eek:

TBH I think making plans for next summer together is a waste of time as I've got a feeling you're not going to last...

God bless your girlfriend, hopefully she'll do what cupsoftea suggests and marry your best friend! ;)

Who said I was pushing for jack s***?

Why does everyone on this board insist that they know my girlfriend better than I do?

Okay, I'll admit as easily as she has, that there was no way of knowing how she'd react. We found out the hard way.

Now we're in the stage of talking and reflecting on what happened. Perhaps open relationships aren't for us. We're thinking, as is our god-bestowed right as human beings.

I feel that there are those among you who simply don't get what open relationships are about, and are taking those bias and prejudices out on me and my situation with my girlfriend.
    You are seriously risking losing her. Do you want that?

Thanks for your word of warning, but trust me when I say that I'm not risking losing her. I never would.
    sullivk wrote:
    From what I've read it seems that she has forgiven you for what you have done and all you can think about now is your next one night stand??!

She has moved on from the situation. She had no need to forgive me, given that I hadn't done anything wrong. We both know and accept that. And to say that I'm only thinking of my next one night stand is simply talking out your arse. Again, like everyone else here, you're taking what you think about open-relationships (ie. f*** all) and trying to fit every couple into that paradigm. There is such thing as variation, and not every couple are alike.

My girlfriend and I are still very much in love. She means more to me than any one night thing could. Again with the insistence that you all know her better than I do.

Do you feel this experience has made you stronger as a couple?

Im genuinely curious. Sometimes it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Great thread this.
    The question is did you cheat? The answer is no, of course you didn't. You both agreed to an open relationship.
    All the people saying it was a terrible thing to do and how dare you, are either women or men who think like women.
    Women are funny at times.
    I wonder why she agreed to this 'open'' relationship though? As a guy who doesn't know you or your girlfriend I have no idea why. Maybe she thought she might meet someone better than you and maybe you thought the same. She's probably right about not knowing how she'd react though. Jealousy reared its ugly head and we all know what happens when women have a strong feeling about something. All logic and reason goes out the window. Women like to think they can be reasonable but if a strong feeling comes along reason goes bye bye and the guy gets the blame.
    Women are funny.

• Advertisement

WasIWrong wrote:
    Who said I was pushing for jack s***?

Why does everyone on this board insist that they know my girlfriend better than I do?

Two reasons

1 - We are not biased, there is nothing we want out of this situation. There is something you want (ie an open relationship). Has the possibility that this desire for a certain outcome could have made you hear what you wanted to hear not occured to you. You continue to use "we" everytime you start a new sentence, as if all this discussion about an open relationship was a joined idea. It clearly isn't, and in my experience someone who insists a little too much that their partner is on board with something is probably attempting to convince himself or others that she is.

2 - This isn't rocket science WasIWrong. The majority of people have issues with an open relationship, and apparently your girlfriend does too. Why you can't accept that she has is beyond me. As I said you seem more interested in getting your girlfriend to agree to this than actually doing what she wants.
    WasIWrong wrote:
    Okay, I'll admit as easily as she has, that there was no way of knowing how she'd react.
    A lot of people would disagree with that rather naive assumption. I bet you if you had posted a PI saying my girlfriend has agreed to an open relationship, but do you think she really means it, you would have got a torrent of "hell no" replies.
    WasIWrong wrote:
    Perhaps open relationships aren't for us.
    Yah think ... :rolleyes:
    WasIWrong wrote:
    We're thinking, as is our god-bestowed right as human beings.
    Again with the "we" bit. Surely you mean you asking her to give the idea another chance? Or do you insist that half of all this desire for an open relationship is actually originating from your girlfriend?
    WasIWrong wrote:
    I feel that there are those among you who simply don't get what open relationships are about, and are taking those bias and prejudices out on me and my situation with my girlfriend.
    No, I feel you don't get that your girlfriend is probably not suited to having an open relationship. Just because you want one doesn't mean she will. Open relationships aren't for everyone. The odds that you would find someone who is geniunely ok with the idea are small.
    WasIWrong wrote:
    And to say that I'm only thinking of my next one night stand is simply talking out your arse.
    What exactly are you thinking about then, considering this all blew up only a few days ok and yet you have already brought up the idea that you should continue with the open relationship?
    WasIWrong wrote:
    She means more to me than any one night thing could.
    Then why are you asking her again for an open relationship when she clearly has such objections to it?

Do you feel this experience has made you stronger as a couple?

Im genuinely curious. Sometimes it can.

Strangely enough, I think it has. Although we don't talk half as much as I'd like right now (I have laryngitis, which makes taking on the phone hard), I think we're more appreciative of our time that we do spend together.

And those of you who keep saying I'm pushing her still, even after all that's happened, I wish you'd just drop it. If you must know, I'd be happy to have her and just her. There's no malice in saying that I could be happy in an open-relationship, also. My girlfriend is the one who has deferred on any decision. She said she'd rather wait to make any final decision.

Did it occur to anyone that maybe she's honestly considering it? I wish you'd put it out of your heads the idea of me, the oppressive boyfriend, constantly at her to let me sleep with other women. It's a long distance relationship, for crying out loud... I could easily get away with cheating if I so felt like it. But I choose not to. I'd rather be in a rewarding relationship.

She told me she'd dump me if she stopped loving me, or if she had suspicions that I didn't love her anymore. Throughout this whole ordeal (and beyond, in fact, given that this was all so last week, if you'll excuse my tone), we've never doubted even for a second one another's love. This might have come as a shock to both of us, mixed emotions, confusion, but above all, our love wasn't jepordized. And that's the bottem line.

I know for a fact that there is a guy where she lives that she would like to have sex with (I choose that term not to be vulgar, but to be objective... we won't be in any other relationships, after all, there is a world of difference between open relationships and polyamoury.) I mention this just to illustrate that this is not a girlfriend under immense pressure of making one of those difficult decisions where she might risk losing her boyfriend. I'm going to stay with her no matter what, because we're perfect for one another. She might see the other side of the coin, the benifits that an open relationship can bring.

Oh, and while I'm at it... two years ago, my ex-girlfriend and I broke up because she wanted an open-relationship, and I didn't. So don't think that I'm merely some typical horny guy who can't keep it in his pants. It wasn't right, then, for us, so we broke up. My girlfriend (now) is by far the more liberal of the two of us, and some would say that she rubbed off on me. Normally, it would be her that would have asked for an open-relationship. Last year, she did, and I told her it was ok. The guy she wanted to sleep with eventually ended up blowing his opportunity, and she was turned off and in the end nothing happened. That was four months that i kept it in my pants for, for all you nay-sayers.

Sometimes, it feels right. Sometimes not. Above all, this isn't going to ruin my relationship. It might make it stronger. We might have an open relationship... we might not. At the moment, it's her decision, which she'll arrive at unaided and in her own good time, without duress from me.

And that's about all I have to say. Anyone with any specific questions may go ahead and ask them... I think I've been pretty thorough, though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She agreed to an open relationship for one reason, she's obviously Mickey MAD!!

Lol, you can not blame her for that... I knew that much when I asked her out...

WasIWrong wrote:
    Sometimes, it feels right. Sometimes not. Above all, this isn't going to ruin my relationship. It might make it stronger. We might have an open relationship... we might not. At the moment, it's her decision, which she'll arrive at unaided and in her own good time, without duress from me.

What is that phrase about history repeating itself ...

You already did this.

You asked for an open relationship. She went away, and took some time to considered it. She eventually said yes. You slept with someone. She freaked out, got very upset demonstrating that despite what she said she does clearly have issues with the thought of you with another woman.

So where are you now, only a few days later ... oh yes

You have asked (again) for an open relationship. She has gone away, and is taken some time to consider it (again)....

Anyone else see where this is going ... :rolleyes:

Why are you doing this to your girlfriend if, as you claim, you aren't even that bothered with an open relationship? Why are you asking her again to consider a proposition that upset her so much only a few days ok. You are bearly back to talking to each other and yet you are still on about an open relationship.

Talk about a mind f**k. I weep for your girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

the big issue I see is that you treat an 'open relation' as something you can just turn on and off as you see fit in the actual relationship.

I would say by ecperience that the majority of people out there can't handle this type of relationship and agree to it far to fast without thinking through the consequences of it to the other partner.

for an open relationship to work , you need two things, imho, the first is an Ego as big as Australia, and the second thing is a large quantity of common sense, ON BOTH SIDES!!!

personally I don't think you did a mistake and think that your g/f just completely messed up when she agreed to this 'arrangement' but on the other hand you probably shoudl have discussed this with her more in detail instead of saying, no strings attached and it will be over as soon as she is back in the country.

Man both of you really messed up on this one, that's all I can say to that.

My longest relationship to date was an open relationship and both of us had no problems whatsoever with the other going out out and even shagging someone else. I tried explaining how one can justify an open rel. to a friend, but it is practically impossible. but from this aspect I can tell you theat making agreements for short time periods won't work and is ALWAYS a garantee to destroy any otherwise monogamous relationship

Wicknight wrote:
    What is that phrase about history repeating itself ...

You already did this.

You asked for an open relationship. She went away, and took some time to considered it. She eventually said yes. You slept with someone. She freaked out, got very upset demonstrating that despite what she said she does clearly have issues with the thought of you with another woman.

So where are you now, only a few days later ... oh yes

You have asked (again) for an open relationship. She has gone away, and is taken some time to consider it (again)....

Anyone else see where this is going ... :rolleyes:

Why are you doing this to your girlfriend if, as you claim, you aren't even that bothered with an open relationship? Why are you asking her again to consider a proposition that upset her so much only a few days ok. You are bearly back to talking to each other and yet you are still on about an open relationship.

Talk about a mind f**k. I weep for your girlfriend.

I agree. Maybe the OP should just leave the poor girl alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I knew a guy who was in an open relationship - everything was fine until he fell in love with one of the girls that he was dating (me, though we never had sex)...it broke up their relationship and ours as he felt too guilty afterwards. Relationships are complex enough without adding extra people. If it were me I would just wait until I could be with the person I love, there are such things as phone calls, video calls etc in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Me and my ex were going to do the whole open relationship, we were together 4 years from a young age... and i personally felt it was time to see other people, BUT i couldn't NOT be with her... But, before either of us could take advantage of teh open relationship, i said it was best if we just broke up, because the day i found out she had been with another guy, toucher her, being inside of her would be the most destuctful day of my life, and i KNOW i would not have been able to handle that. And likewise for her.

Moral of the story, if you have any feelings for your girlfriend, you would

A: Not ask her if you can sleep with other women when she is conveniantly away
    B: Not be exactly thrilled by the thought of her being with another man.

It would seem to me that this relationship has met the beginning of the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

tbh you are a fool for telling her there and then. I mean I know you agreed to keep no secrets, but the way you told her about your boom boom was like you were rubbing it in her face. By no secrets I think it meant when she came back and asked "did you meet anyone" that then you confess to her, not the next day and deffinitly not over the intarweb

Where do you draw the line on "open?" Can you go away for weekends, vacations etc with someone else? Can you bring someone else home to meet mum? Can you lie with them and tell them your deepest dreams and histories?
    Can you go with them as a date to a wedding?

Advertisement