Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chances of pregnancy.

• 04-09-2006 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I had unprotected sex with this girl las weekend. She said it was around her 13th day. She was afraid 2 ask someone to bring her to the doctors for the morning after-pill. So what are the actual chances of her being pregnant?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wadda you think?
    She has a chance of getting pregnant.
    Isnt a chance enough to be worried about?
    Its possible, even maybe likely that she isnt, but it depend on the girl, the month, the sperm, the position, a load of x-factors that we dont know.
    So yes, there is a chance she is pregnant. So talk to her, get her to get a test possibly, and do something pro-active with your worry!
    I cannot believe she was afraid to ask someone to bring her to the doctors for a morning-after-pill, how scary is pregnancy woman??????!!!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It is possible, have a chat with her and make sure she goes for a test like dr.bollocko mentioned to put your mind at ease at least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

LucasOli wrote:
    She was afraid 2 ask someone to bring her to the doctors for the morning after-pill.

Was there a reason she couldn't go by herself?
    So what are the actual chances of her being pregnant?

Everytime you have unprotected sex there is a chance of becoming pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

[QUOTE=LucasOli She was afraid 2 ask someone to bring her to the doctors for the morning after-pill. [/QUOTE]

That strikes me as very odd. Why can't she go on her own? What age is this girl?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes there's a chance. Encourage her to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

So yes, there is a chance she is pregnant. So talk to her, get her to get a test possibly, and do something pro-active with your worry!
    I cannot believe she was afraid to ask someone to bring her to the doctors for a morning-after-pill, how scary is pregnancy woman??????!!!!???

I agree! surely the thought of getting pregnant by far out-weighs the fear of going to the docs/asking someone to bring her! she could have made up ANY excuse to go!!? id definately check it out with a test because you cant be sure she's not pregnant until she'd had one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Miss Fluff wrote:

That strikes me as very odd. Why can't she go on her own? What age is this girl?

My thoughts exactly !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LucasOli

She's 17. I think she's an eejet! I told her to go but she said her mother couldn't find out. But i wanna know what are the odds in or around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

LucasOli wrote:
    But i wanna know what are the odds in or around?

Are you trying to have a bet on it or something, you have been told it is very likely. You have been given some advice as to what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

LucasOli wrote:
    I think she's an eejet!
    Pot, kettle.
    LucasOli wrote:
    But i wanna know what are the odds in or around?
    Substancially lower than had you used protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well she has 72 hour in which to take the morning after pill, how would her mother find out unless she does not have the money to pay for it ?
    Really while condoms are not 100 % they are cheaper then the morning after pill and would have protected her from sti.

If a preson is not grown up enough to go get and use contraception, condoms or the morning after pill then they are not grown up enough to be having sex. This inculdes you LucasOli.

There is no way to rule it out with out a test saying day what ever doesn't mean much as her cycle could be between 26 to 34 days in length so ovulation can't be determind that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cycle

Why don't/didn't you go with her ?
    after all it took the two of you and you didnt' use a condom and if she is pregant it is your dna and your potential child.

Her gp or either the welwoman centre or the irish family planning centres will see her and keep medical confidencailty once a person is over 16.

Even if she is not pregant there is the issue of sti's for the both of you.

Don't be stupid don't be silly wear a condom on your willy.
    If you can't be good be safe if you can't be safe buy a pram and get an sti assement.
    Pregancy in most cases doesn't kill, hiv and aids does.

Substancially lower than had you used protection.

Nice one. Thanks man.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Pregancy in most cases doesn't kill, hiv and aids does.

If i'm after getting her pregnant my mother will kill me!

And i didn't bring her or go with her to the doctors because she lives an hour away from me and she's not my girlfriend or anything like that. She just rang me and told me she was worried. I realise its stupid and everything. I don't think there's really much than i can do but worry. I jus don't know how much to worry! Are the chances lik 1 in 50 or more like 45 in 50?

I'm only 17 and i don't have a clue really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

LucasOli wrote:
    And i didn't bring her or go with her to the doctors because she lives an hour away from me and she's not my girlfriend or anything like that.

I'm sure you'll be really helpful if she needs a termination then (or child support for nappies).

If she has an average cycle of 28 days and you had UNPROTECTED SEX on the 13th day then it it is highly possible that you could have impregnated her. Days 12-15 are the high risk days. If you're sexually active you should know this and protect yourself accordingly. Sorry to be harsh sweetie, but you seem completely clueless. Hope for both your sakes she's not.

When you say last weekend, do you mean the one just gone or the one before. She can still get the Morning After Pill up to 72 hours after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Very high risk of pregnancy on day 13 of cycle - very high.

she needs to get the pill now. If the 72 hours are not already up. The later she leaves it the greater the chance of it not working.

tell her to pick up the phone and book an appointment NOW- her mother does not have to know - unless she doesnt take it and gets pregnant.

if she is old enough to have sex surely she can venture a trip to the doctor alone - at 17?!?

If she is clued in enough to know its day 13 of her cycle then i bet she knows the risk - she can count the days herself. Shes obviously been reading up on it.

You might want to do the same and Use Condoms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Day 13 is very high risk.

You have also put yourself at risk of STDs. You behaved stupidly and your age is no excuse.

If you think you're big enough to be having sex, you're big enough to use a condom. For your sake, but more particularly for her sake, I hope she's not pregnant, but I REALLY hope you have learned a lesson here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

LucasOli wrote:
    She's 17. I think she's an eejet! I told her to go but she said her mother couldn't find out. But i wanna know what are the odds in or around?
    Well, what's the odds her mother will find out anyway in about six months time?

And the Morning After pill is only effective 72 hours after intercourse.

I'll spare you the lecture as there's a queue building up behind me with baseball-bats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

LucasOli wrote:
    So what are the actual chances of her being pregnant?

Approx 250,000,000 i think it is... Enjoy fatherhood.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Look its a young fella who didnt know any better.
    He made a dumb, stupid mistake, and if he doesnt pay for it with babies, he might still with STD's so if we could ease up on the condemnation it might make things easier for him.
    I mean yeah, sometimes I wanna reach through the screen and slap someone, but it probably won't help.
    OP If you get away with this one, just remember this feeling, feeling stupid, reckless and completely freaked out at potentially being a DAD, or getting AIDS and the next time u get lucky enough to get laid wear a fricking condom. And then theres no personal issue. And not everybody in PI will be lining up to slap you with varying types of heavy wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

LucasOli wrote:
    I'm only 17 and i don't have a clue really!

You only require a slight clue to get her down to the Doctors or similar to get her the Morning after pill.

You may not have a clue, but thats not beyond you.

Sort yourself out before its too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭judybaby

LucasOli wrote:

She's an eejit? Yeah but it takes two to tango hunni! Get her round the doctors and get yourself to the chemist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

Planned parenthood says her chances of getting pregnant from one instance of unprotected sex in weeks two and three of her cycle are about 8%.
    Might be higher because she is young and therefore more fertile.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-control-pregnancy/emergency-contraception/effectiveness.htm

Combination EC reduces the risk of pregnancy by 75 percent if started within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. Only two out of 100 will become pregnant after taking combination EC.

According to the link you put up that is if the morning after pill is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Mola.mola

I'd love to give the original poster a thump. I can't really hit the girl but like, I'd call her something unnice. I really really really really hope she isn't pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well as someone already mentioned, 8-14% is your chance of becoming a father, and becoming a father with a rant that you had with a girl wont help your situations. She wasn't your girlfriend yet both of you engaged in a dangerous activity with protection.......
    Well, clueless would be an under-estimation on my idio-monitor. Tell your parents at least, they will afford the two of you a doctor. They'll go Mental or No-Mental, they need to know...
    For the moment stop worrying, it's making things worse and it's decreaing your mental health, just tell your parents in a gentle way, let them deal with it. They gave birth to you so they must have been around a similar road 17 years ago. Begin worrying if they tell you you're about to become a father but until then. CALM DOWN...

And just for curiosity...Why didn't you use a condom?

nevf wrote:
    And just for curiosity...Why didn't you use a condom?

Quiet stupidly...Because i didn't ave one on me at the time.

Well the 72 hrs is up neway! But it was the 8-14 % statistic i was looking for. Thanks. And i realise i could do with a slappin'! Hopefull this will turn out alright and i know i won't be that stupid again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

LucasOli wrote:
    I had unprotected sex with this girl las weekend. She said it was around her 13th day. She was afraid 2 ask someone to bring her to the doctors for the morning after-pill. So what are the actual chances of her being pregnant?

I've had unprotected sex twice in my life - I have 2 children - got pregnant the second time while breastfeeding which is supposed to act as a contraceptive - so how likely? Depends on your sperm & her ovum. Best of luck

I've had unprotected sex twice in my life - I have 2 children - got pregnant the second time while breastfeeding which is supposed to act as a contraceptive - so how likely? Depends on your sperm & her ovum. Best of luck

Ouch that old misnomer, it may have been the case over 50 years ago but not currently with the increase in diet.

Luckily altho we weren't actively trying, we weren't against the idea of a 2nd but I was shocked I got pg without having a period & while breastfeeding No1....just goes to show you that regardless of the odds against, the OP may still be a parent! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

youre 17, you shouldnt have slept with a 13yr old girl, especially in the current climate of whats being happening with underage sex.

but im not going to condemn you, im just going to say that you should have insisted she take the morning after pill to be safe, because at 13 shes far too young. if she was too embarassed to ask someone to take her for the morning after pill, she should have been too embarrassed to have sex with someone 5 years her senior...sorry, but thats just the way i see it

its in gods hands now, and thats no joke, i hope it works out ok for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

youre 17, you shouldnt have slept with a 13yr old girl, especially in the current climate of whats being happening with underage sex.

but im not going to condemn you, im just going to say that you should have insisted she take the morning after pill to be safe, because at 13 shes far too young. if she was too embarassed to ask someone to take her for the morning after pill, she should have been too embarrassed to have sex with someone 5 years her senior...sorry, but thats just the way i see it

Reading the thread properly, the OP has stated that she is 17, and on the 13th day of her cycle...

youre 17, you shouldnt have slept with a 13yr old girl,

Jesus man i don't do that kind of thing!

LucasOli wrote:
    youre 17, you shouldnt have slept with a 13yr old girl,
    Jesus man i don't do that kind of thing!

Cue the thread going completely off course and exploding. :rolleyes:

A read of the whole thread might have been useful lads.

Just for the hard of reading -

shes 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

LucasOli wrote:
    Well the 72 hrs is up neway! But it was the 8-14 % statistic i was looking for.

I don't think you can reassure yourself with a percentage statistic delivered on the internet, to be honest.

You can't 'play the odds' on whether or not someone is pregnant - there's a whole bunch of pill-taking condom-using pregnant women out there that'll tell you nothing is 100% effective at preventing pregnancy, and another whole bunch of desperate couples who'll tell you that conceiving a baby isn't necessarily that easy.

Could she be pregnant? Yes, she most definitely could be, and you and her both sticking your heads in the sand like a couple of ostriches hasn't helped.

You've missed your chance with the morning after pill.

Now you have two weeks of stress waiting for her period. Stress which may very well delay her period.

So what are you going to do at the end of week three when her period still hasn't come and you're frantic? Are you going to keep fretting, or are you going to go and buy an early home pregnancy test kit?

So what are you going to do at the end of week three when her period still hasn't come and you're frantic? Are you going to keep fretting, or are you going to go and buy an early home pregnancy test kit?

I don't know....Like what can i really do. I can't make her do anything. I rarely see her anyway. I just met her in a pub one night.

LucasOli wrote:
    I don't know....Like what can i really do. I can't make her do anything.

Cop on to yourself. Its not about making her do anything. Its about giving her support to get the morning after pill, so you can both breath a sigh of relieve. Dont you think she's sitting at home ****ting herself too?

You ought to give up sex until you grow some balls. Your behaviour as described in this thread has been the actions of a boy not a man.

You're not emotionally and mentally mature enough to be having sex tbh.

Just because you're scared of the consequences doesnt mean you should let fear paralyse you into doing nothing until its too late.

Imagine looking back on this in a years time as you push the consequences of your actions around in a pram, having had to take a McJob to pay for its up keep - and all because you didnt act when you had the chance.

• Advertisement

How about you find out what the options are ?
    http://www.positiveoptions.ie/home.html

I would also suggest you take the time to eduction yourself on how human reproduction works and contraception and sti.

ah Ireland in the 21st century and people wonder why there are so many teen pregancies and babies left abandoned to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I've had unprotected sex twice in my life - I have 2 children
    I've had sex unprotected against pregnancy (i.e. not counting sex with a pregant woman or with men or anything that has STD risks but is low risk for pregnancy) 3 times and have 4 kids.
    got pregnant the second time while breastfeeding which is supposed to act as a contraceptive - so how likely?
    The chance of pregnancy is considerably reduced if you are fully breastfeeding and your periods haven't started up again.

You seem to be sitting around ****ting yourself. Take action!

You didn't have a condom that night and she didn't have a brain to take the Pill 72 hours later. Bit late...eh? What a match.....!

Tell your parents at least, bring her to a doctor
    Outcomes
    1) she's pregnant
    2) she's not pregnant
    3) an STD has been transferred....

You say she's "probably" ****ting herself too?
    Have you not had contact? a time of crisis and ye're ****ting ye're-selves without contact? Meet up with her, simply calling her talking isn't going to help
    ...or better again, go to a doctor, it'll cost €50(average) or a pregnancy test(somewhere between €20/€50)...Money well spent...Remember a doctor must hold confidientiality, this includes her parents. Pregnancy Test will be totally confidential anyway. Buy her one, meet her and give it to her....

Before you Hump, Cover your stump.....

Talliesin wrote:
    I've had sex unprotected against pregnancy (i.e. not counting sex with a pregant woman or with men or anything that has STD risks but is low risk for pregnancy) 3 times and have 4 kids.
    The chance of pregnancy is considerably reduced if you are fully breastfeeding and your periods haven't started up again.

Exactly, that's my point - knowing the odds of how unlikely it is to get pregnant doesn't stop it happening & the OP's gf could be the 1-in-100 or whatever that it happens to so quoting the odds against is completely pointless. We reckoned the chances of getting pregnant either time was fairly unlikely & yet it happened - twice! :o:D

The generic odds of a preganacy are not much of a help as they apply to women of all sorts of ages and ranges of fertility.
    Some people are more fertile then others and from the ages of 16 to 28 are a womans most natural fertile years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

LucasOli, whatever you do (or don't do, as it appears), tell your parents.

Yes what you did was stupid, but you have to face the consequences of your actions. Shoving your head in the sand won't solve any problems, only make them worse. get some sense into you would you? I'm also 17, but at least I feel I have a bit of common sense.

I'm 99% sure I have an STI. No, I didn't have full on unprotected sex, but what myself and my girlfriend did was enough for me to catch something. I've been absolutely bricking it for the last week. But instead of acting like a child, I took responsibilty for myself.

I researched the symptoms and got a rough idea of what I had, read up on the sticky STI thread and walked into St. James' today to get my free test. Bear in mind I hadn't told anyone about this. It turns out for under 18's you had to make an appointment, so I made one, but the soonest they could give me was next Thursday.

Fúck that I said, I can't just wait around for this STI to get worse. So today I told my Dad about everything, and I asked him to book an appointment with a private doctor. He's going to go with me too. I already feel ten times better than I was earlier today, just because I told someone.

For Christ's sake tell your parents about this. For the peace of mind at least. Tell them, take whatever punishment they give to you (which you deserve), and thank them in 9 months time when you're not pushing a baby in a stroller down the street.

We're the same age, in similar situations. Grow up would you?

trust me wrote:
    I'm 99% sure I have an STI. No, I didn't have full on unprotected sex, but what myself and my girlfriend did was enough for me to catch something.
    I feel sorry for you, an STI isn't an easy thing to live with, Is it a more serious STI? Best of luck with that...
    trust me wrote:
    Fúck that I said, I can't just wait around for this STI to get worse. So today I told my Dad about everything, and I asked him to book an appointment with a private doctor. He's going to go with me too. I already feel ten times better than I was earlier today, just because I told someone.
    Fair Play to yah! Telling one's parents is usually on eof the biggest ordeals to have to suffer!
    trust me wrote:
    For Christ's sake tell your parents about this. For the peace of mind at least. Tell them, take whatever punishment they give to you (which you deserve), and thank them in 9 months time when you're not pushing a baby in a stroller down the street.

We're the same age, in similar situations. Grow up would you?
    Good Advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

You need to find out if she is pregnant or not, talk to her, If she is pregnant you then need to come to a decision with her.
    If she's not pregnant you can count yourself very lucky.
    Both of your inaction is very irresponsible. Always carry condoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

nevf wrote:
    I feel sorry for you, an STI isn't an easy thing to live with, Is it a more serious STI? Best of luck with that...
    Turns out I was wrong. That 1% of doubt payed off! No STI, just a minor thing that's nearly all sorted.

/and back on topic.

Turns out she is pregnant! Well i'm fu(ked!!

hahaha...

Sorry, i mean.... yeah... so what ya gonna do?

Jesus thanks for laughing! I don't know. Tell her to get a paternaty test anyway. Because if she was willing to have an un-protected one-night stand with me she could quite easily of had others and just pretended i got her pregnant because i'm the best of a bad lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm not trying to be rude here LucasOli, but what you're suggesting is a means of shirking your responsibility. By trying to imply that she's a bit easy, and that it could be anyone's, you're trying to distance yourself. Act a little more responsible.

It might well not be yours, but there is no need to inform the whole world that you think that she's a bit easy.

LucasOli wrote:
    Jesus thanks for laughing! I don't know. Tell her to get a paternaty test anyway. Because if she was willing to have an un-protected one-night stand with me she could quite easily of had others and just pretended i got her pregnant because i'm the best of a bad lot!
    Oh man, would you grow up!!!! You made a decision, you must now live with that decision...

So, how does it feel pappy? For the next 18 years of your life you will have to provide for your child, that mean getting a job to provide for your family, waking up in the middle of the night feeding him/her... buying clothes, school books, uniforms, paying for child care etc etc..

Yes, you made an adult decision, and now you must live by your decision...

Or of course there is the option of a termination, something i know you will most likely suggest, and if that doesn't work out.. Maybe abandonment? who knows, the world is your oyster.

It might well not be yours, but there is no need to inform the whole world that you think that she's a bit easy.-dudara

Well she obviously is! It's not like I'm saying her name is it? And yes i kno i'm shirking my responsibility! How much are those test yolkes does anyone know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement