Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowances for Flooring?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, I am about to embark upon a self build so will be bugging you guys for at least a year!
    I was just wondering if anyone could guide me in relation to how much I should allow for flooring in terms of budget....tiles, carpet, hardwood solid/semisolid, laminate. I've seen some of the posts where prices per square foot/metre are quoted, but I thought I might do a bit of a breakdown and wasn't sure if things like flooring would be covered within that price anyway.
    At the moment the plans are with the Council (fingers crossed) but I'm trying to do a bit of pricing....to give me an idea what I am letting myself in for....

Obviously there are other things to consider but I was calculating my floor areas there over the weekend.....and while we might not 'finish' every room, we'll probably floor most of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

How long is a piece of string? How big are the rooms? :confused:

It all depends on personal preferences. I think you would be better off getting quotes from suppliers on flooring you like and then asking if its a good price per sq yard or if someone recommends cheaper/better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Are u sure u would not like us to build the house also.

Calculate ur areas, decide what is going where and then get on the web and get prices or call people up.

Tiles can run from € 20 to € 200 a sq meter and the same applies to all other finishes.
    Then, are u putting them down ur self [I doubt it, prolly expect us to do it]

In general prices on the forum would not include finishes as they vary sooo much.

There is such a wide range of materials now that average prices can be very misleading.

You could spend 30k on tiles for the bathrooms, and that is before labour!

You need to put some effort into the post if u want meaningful responses, after all there are some serious issues elsewhere on this forum that need our attention, such as giving smookey-eyes advice on what color to dye the collar and cuffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Get over yourselves. A bit of advice was all that was requested.....I expected 'as long as a piece of string' but not the other crap. I've seen previous posts relating to 'average' costs comparing solid flooring to laminate, etc, but obviously got ye on an off day. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Calluna wrote:
    Get over yourselves. A bit of advice was all that was requested.....I expected 'as long as a piece of string' but not the other crap. I've seen previous posts relating to 'average' costs comparing solid flooring to laminate, etc, but obviously got ye on an off day. Thanks

Yourselves?? ...........I think I gave you an honest appraisal of your post and what would be a reasonable course of action to take.

I agree with you that the other poster should have been more constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Apologies Naux....heat of the moment...you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Calluna wrote:

Please clarify exactly u mean by "not the other crap"

Did u not think for a moment that perhaps my comments were made in jest.

To be blunt:
    From your first post

"I've seen some of the posts where prices per square foot/metre are quoted, but I thought I might do a bit of a breakdown and wasn't sure if things like flooring would be covered within that price anyway."

is not the same as, (from your second post)

"I've seen previous posts relating to 'average' costs comparing solid flooring to laminate, etc,"

If u have seen these posts, have u looked for them?

Perhaps when you clarify what exactly u are after some of the others may be able to help.
    I am done here.

Advertisement