Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems in the Photography Forum

Options
  • 04-09-2006 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I wish to bring to attention the way the photography forum is being run.

This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054984925 contains some of the posts I wish to bring to the notice of the administration of boards.ie.

The moderator in question has now threatened me twice with assault and I do not tolerate this kind of abuse from anyone. He and the other two moderators seem to allow all kinds of personal abuse to carry on in the forum. You may not have been aware of this.

This is a PM he sent me on 25 April 2006.
    reporting posts

While I encourage you to report inappropriate behavoir on the photography forum, it is perhaps inadvisable (and certainly fruitless) to report a mods post.. to the mod. I can't speak for the other mods but I for one am becoming tired of constantly seeing your name in reported post emails. If you request criticism in any form, be prepared to take it. If you can't take same from some of the more sharp tongued members of the photography forum, you shouldn't ask for criticism in the first place. If you continue to whine and bitch about every partly disagreeable post made in any of your numerous threads, I can only imagine it'll lead to bad places.

Feel free to report this pm to any mod of your choice, should you feel the need.

I did not follow up my complaint at the time because his implication was that it would do no good.

One of the other mods sent me this PM around the same time.
    Re: Complaints Procedure

Those being the most "rude" to you have been given a warning via PM.
    Any repeated offences or higher levels of "abuse" on their part may result in a temporary ban from the photography forum.; but in isolation they do not warrant any further action.
    I hasten to add that the posts you have reported for "being rude" are frankly quite mild compared to some of the stuff I have had to deal with.

When you are submitting your photos to a public internet forum for critique you should be prepared for some critical and less than mannerly responses which you may not like. The internet, or Boards.ie for that matter, is not kindergarten.

This is one of his posts today in the above thread
    rymus wrote:
    If it came to pass that someone was in need of the aforementioned good slapping, then yes. As I said, feel free to report me if you think it's called for. Otherwise, stop going on and on about nothing. If this forum and it's moderator offend you so, perhaps you'd be better off somewhere that tries to observe political correctness and humourless chatter. You're never going to find either of those here in any great quantities.

His answer to any criticism of his behaviour is to tolerate it or go elsewhere. I think it is a proven fact that is the attitude that most bullies have and that the other person was asking for it. To my mind this is the thin end of the wedge and cannot be tolerated in a civilised society. I would prefer to stand up for values of common decency in communication than to cut and run.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I hasten to add that the posts you have reported for "being rude" are frankly quite mild compared to some of the stuff I have had to deal with.

When you are submitting your photos to a public internet forum for critique you should be prepared for some critical and less than mannerly responses which you may not like. The internet, or Boards.ie for that matter, is not kindergarten.

End of, tbh.

If I'm a 'bully', why isn't the majority of the photography forum calling for my head on a pike? I'll provide the teacup if you provide the storm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

A thread that I contributed to in the last week was deleted for no apparent reason other than it could be seen to be critical of rymus.

This is where he threatened violence against me for the first time.
    Jools, if you open another similar thread immediately be prepared for a good slapping.

rymus wrote:
    End of, tbh.

If I'm a 'bully', why isn't the majority of the photography forum calling for my head on a pike? I'll provide the teacup if you provide the storm...

I see he is still refusing to treat the matter seriously. I don't look for his head on a pike I just ask that he treat others with a little respect and not thuggish and sarcastic comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

joolsveer wrote:

ha ha ha ha ha :D

I understand that I'm not being constructive, but its worth a laugh anyway!

I thought publishing PM's was a no no anyway :confused:

joolsveer wrote:

So.... you think the hand of rymus is going to come through your computer screen and beat you about the head? Either you haven't been on the internet too long or you take everything a wee bit too literally.
    I thought publishing PM's was a no no anyway

Well... I didn't want to point that out in case I was accused of sexual harrasment :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i would have thought this might be better suited in the thunderdome...
    i'd just hit rymus back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

joolsveer wrote:
    A thread that I contributed to in the last week was deleted for no apparent reason other than it could be seen to be critical of rymus.

1. If a mod threatened someone with violence, I would siteban them. I don't give a **** whether they're a mod or not, that sort of behaviour is not on and I would stomp on them fast.
    2. In saying I would "stomp on them" I am not saying that I would go around to their house and bounce my New Rocks off their head, I'm saying I would ban them, using a metaphor.
    3. The extreme lack of leniency I will show towards threats of violence also leads me to be extremely intolerant of false allegations of such claims. Now, you may well have not realised that "slap" can be used as a metaphor for any sort of punitive, disciplinary or restrictive action taken against someone, and hence have made this allegation in good faith. I trust that you are now aware of this. The next time you accuse Rymus of threatening you with violence, one of the two of you are going to be sitebanned, so make sure you have more to go on than the above.

rymus wrote:
    that must have been the elite circle all the conspiracy theorists are going on about... The elite group of Canon users :D

Marvellous jools, I look forward to reading yet another flamebait thread.

This was posted to the Photography forum I started the thread in this forum. I think rymus treats the Photography forum as a private fiefdom where all must be in thrall to him.

I haved looked up flamebait on the internet and I am not surprised it turns out to be a disparaging remark again.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait
    rymus wrote:
    Jools, get a life. You've got your answer on the feedback board. If you're feeling extra miffed I dunno, contact the media or something. Also, don't take "get a life" as a personal insult, it's more of a suggestion. Flamebait is a term I used to describe the last few pages of the thread. Take it as a personal insult to you if you wish.

Marvellous, thanks for clearing that up. Now can we get on with gettin' on?

Remind me never to use "I'm going to come around to your house and go at you with a rusty chainsaw" as a metaphor for banning someone :D

joolsveer wrote:
    I haved looked up flamebait on the internet and I am not surprised it turns out to be a disparaging remark again.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamebait
    Nothing says you can't disparage a thread. More to the point, this thread is flamebait in itself.

I can actually feel the patience ebbing out of me.

Now if you're going to post in Feedback, make an actual constructive piece of feedback; positive, negative, I don't care. By all means attack a moderator's decision if it's something at least slightly more concrete beyond "he said 'slap'" or that he isn't prepared to hold your hand and change your nappy for you, but please do not threat the feedback forum as a "Whah! something involving an interaction with several other people didn't go entirely my way and I can't handle that" forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I rather doubt the comment(s) were made as actual threats of violence. Might well not have been the way I'd have framed it myself but then again I've been accused of being a patronising hoore in the past.

I'm a rather irregular reader of the Photo board (usually dip in about once a week or so) and an even more irregular poster so I'm not familiar with the culture of the board and I've little interest in posting on this issue with anything other than my regular user hat on.

I mean, it's not as though rymus or the other mods are actually abusive to or denigrating of other users is it? It's not as though anyone's going to get banned for opening their gob.

Talliesin wrote:
    1. If a mod threatened someone with violence, I would siteban them. I don't give a **** whether they're a mod or not, that sort of behaviour is not on and I would stomp on them fast.
    2. In saying I would "stomp on them" I am not saying that I would go around to their house and bounce my New Rocks off their head, I'm saying I would ban them, using a metaphor.
    3. The extreme lack of leniency I will show towards threats of violence also leads me to be extremely intolerant of false allegations of such claims. Now, you may well have not realised that "slap" can be used as a metaphor for any sort of punitive, disciplinary or restrictive action taken against someone, and hence have made this allegation in good faith. I trust that you are now aware of this. The next time you accuse Rymus of threatening you with violence, one of the two of you are going to be sitebanned, so make sure you have more to go on than the above.

To me a slapping is an act of assault and I can see no other interpretation other than it refers to this type of thuggish behaviour. Maybe English now means what you want it to mean.
    If you wish to ban me for bringing rymus's behaviour to notice it would not be the first time for the messenger to be shot.

slap1  /slæp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[slap] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, slapped, slap‧ping, adverb
    –noun
    1. a sharp blow or smack, esp. with the open hand or with something flat.
    2. a sound made by or as if by such a blow or smack: the slap of the waves against the dock.
    3. a sharply worded or sarcastic rebuke or comment.
    –verb (used with object)
    4. to strike sharply, esp. with the open hand or with something flat.
    5. to bring (the hand, something flat, etc.) with a sharp blow against something.
    6. to dash or cast forcibly: He slapped the package against the wall.
    7. to put or place promptly and sometimes haphazardly (often fol. by on): The officer slapped a ticket on the car. He slapped mustard on the sandwich.
    –adverb
    8. Informal. directly; straight; smack: The tug rammed slap into the side of the freighter.

sceptre wrote:
    I rather doubt the comment(s) were made as actual threats of violence. Might well not have been the way I'd have framed it myself but then again I've been accused of being a patronising hoore in the past.

I'm a rather irregular reader of the Photo board (usually dip in about once a week or so) and an even more irregular poster so I'm not familiar with the culture of the board and I've little interest in posting on this issue with anything other than my regular user hat on.

I mean, it's not as though rymus or the other mods are actually abusive to or denigrating of other users is it? It's not as though anyone's going to get banned for opening their gob.

The difference is that rymus is a moderator and you are not (I presume). If someone else on boards abuses me I can complain to a mod. If the offender is a mod what do I do?

Talliesin wrote:
    Nothing says you can't disparage a thread. More to the point, this thread is flamebait in itself.

I can actually feel the patience ebbing out of me.

Now if you're going to post in Feedback, make an actual constructive piece of feedback; positive, negative, I don't care. By all means attack a moderator's decision if it's something at least slightly more concrete beyond "he said 'slap'" or that he isn't prepared to hold your hand and change your nappy for you, but please do not threat the feedback forum as a "Whah! something involving an interaction with several other people didn't go entirely my way and I can't handle that" forum.

I regret that you have become impatient. The action that I am looking for is that rymus be required to moderate his behaviour or removed from the post of moderator. It should not be impossible to find someone with good manners who is not a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

joolsveer wrote:
    To me a slapping is an act of assault and I can see no other interpretation other than it refers to this type of thuggish behaviour. Maybe English now means what you want it to mean.
    If you wish to ban me for bringing rymus's behaviour to notice it would not be the first time for the messenger to be shot.

Oh grow up. Have you never heard the phrase "slap on the wrist"? You're overeacting if you think that is a physical threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

joolsveer wrote:

It is really unfair that rymus has a "Slap this user in Real Life" option in his drop-down menu. Only DeVore was supposed to have that option.

Why didn't you complain when he said he would slap people for abusing you if he agreed with your complaint?

Because you are trolling.

There is one more word I am going to allow from you regarding this allegation. Begins with "S", rhymes with "Lorry".

Alternatively find something to actually back it up.

Otherwise I am going to threat this like you are maintaining an allegation that someone threatened you with violence without having any evidence to support the allegation - and threat that as the criminal libel that it is.

I take exception to being called a bully. While my manners may be far from perfect I'm certainly no bully...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

joolsveer wrote:
    Welcome to the Internet.

Goodshape wrote:
    Welcome to the Internet.

This definition comes from www.dictionary.com

slap1  /slæp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[slap] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, slapped, slap‧ping, adverb
    –noun
    1. a sharp blow or smack, esp. with the open hand or with something flat.
    2. a sound made by or as if by such a blow or smack: the slap of the waves against the dock.
    3. a sharply worded or sarcastic rebuke or comment.
    –verb (used with object)
    4. to strike sharply, esp. with the open hand or with something flat.
    5. to bring (the hand, something flat, etc.) with a sharp blow against something.
    6. to dash or cast forcibly: He slapped the package against the wall.
    7. to put or place promptly and sometimes haphazardly (often fol. by on): The officer slapped a ticket on the car. He slapped mustard on the sandwich.
    –adverb
    8. Informal. directly; straight; smack: The tug rammed slap into the side of the freighter.

All seem to relate to violent acts.

While I have used the internet for a good number of years I have never come across slapping meaning something other than the dictionary definition.

• Advertisement

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861734636

5. transitive verb apply something as penalty: to apply something as a punishment, penalty, or restriction to somebody or something ( informal )

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/slap?view=uk

verb ... 3 (slap down) informal reprimand forcefully. 5 (slap on) informal impose (a fine or penalty) on.

From www.m-w.com :

4 : to subject to a penalty

[edit]
    Actually, the page you linked to has those definitions too. What do you think I am, too stupid to follow a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

The moderator in question has now threatened me twice with assault and I do not tolerate this kind of abuse from anyone. He and the other two moderators seem to allow all kinds of personal abuse to carry on in the forum. You may not have been aware of this.

Wow. Route one to making a complete fool of yourself.

Do you proof read contracts for fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

joolsveer wrote:
    The difference is that rymus is a moderator and you are not (I presume).
    Mod of Politics and Literature. SMod on the site at large which basically makes me a janitor with a bigger broom.
    If someone else on boards abuses me I can complain to a mod. If the offender is a mod what do I do?
    I guess you or anyone else who feels they've been wronged could complain to one of the people mentioned here, here or the relevant CMod (which in the case of the Arts category is LoLth). They're the people who watch the watchers. I'd recommend one of the admins but the Feedback forum is there as an option if you don't mind all of us proles sticking our oar in.

joolsveer wrote:
    Well I use it sometimes metaphorically when instilling discipline on the politics board.Seriously you should chillaxe.It means I will ban if the muppetry doesnt stop.
    Now you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

sceptre wrote:
    SMod on the site at large which basically makes me a janitor with a bigger broom.

Always wondered what an SMod was. thanks for clearing that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Blackjack wrote:
    Always wondered what an SMod was. thanks for clearing that up.

Thats just sceptre. The rest of the SMods are different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

kaimera wrote:
    Thats just sceptre. The rest of the SMods are different ;)
    you....you....you mean there's more than 1??!.

/runs off scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

@ Joolsveer . I can tell by the tone of your posts that you are a tough man, Should Rhymus attempt to slap you you kick him in the nuts, Problem solved.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Tristrame wrote:
    Seriously you should chillaxe.It means I will ban if the muppetry doesnt stop.
    :eek: Did you just threaten someone with an axe??

• Advertisement

alas it seems that someone got there with the slappage before I did. Some people just dont stop talking until no further course of action remains

Advertisement