Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice regarding buying a used motor

Options
  • 04-09-2006 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Over the past while I've been looking to buy my first car (a used car). After weeks of looking at cars and assessing deals, over the weekend I finally found the deal I've been looking for. I made the guy an offer of €100 short of what he was asking, and paying cash. The car was advertised for about 2 days when I did this, and according to the seller there was only one other buyer interested. I made him an initial offer, to which he said "I will accept it as long as nobody else offers me higher", to which I said fine! and left. Then about an hour later I decided to hell with this, and rang him back and made him another offer (because this car is perfect and I am happy to pay the extra few quid), which he accepted. I told him it was nice to do business with him and asked him to make no further adverts. He said fine.

Today I asked my girlfriend to give him a ring and ask was the car still available for sale (obviously pretending to be someone completely independent). The seller said "I have an offer on the car already, but it depends on your offer if it's sold or not". So to bail out she asked him the mileage and just said that she was not interested due to the level of mileage to cost ratio. The seller is european and seemed like a decent chap (with excellent english) and is heading back home. My girlfriend rang me moment ago to tell me that she made this call today and that he may not keep his end of the deal and sell the car to me.

Now to answer the question, most of you probably have at this stage. He can't let the car go for another few weeks, because he needs it for work and is leaving the country shortly after. I also have the cash for the car ready to go right now. So I am the one letting it slide that the car is not ready to go immediately albeit this was never mentioned in the advert. So from the point at which he accepted my offer, he even sent me a text message to say "nice doing business, see you on the date that the car is ready to go". This to me is a verbal agreement between me and the seller.

Am I right to be annoyed or is this the nature of the game?

He even told me when we agreed on the sale that he would get the change of ownership process in motion!.

Also can I ask ye guys, how does this process work? What needs to be done?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you are 100% happy with the car ring him and tell him you want the car now, and have the agreed price in cash available.

If he does not want to complete the transaction immediately, walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Laura Fitz06

make no payment untill u fill in the change of owner ship form as this is the proof u own the car other wise he could say u stole it be careful .....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you paid a deposit and received a reciept stating the agreed price, the deposit paid, and the terms of the sale? If not then I wouldn't consider the car sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

"make no payment untill u fill in the change of owner ship form as this is the proof u own the car other wise he could say u stole it be careful"

I have done exactly this (no sign, no payment). As I said the car is not available for a few weeks so this is why this has not been done.

"Have you paid a deposit and received a reciept stating the agreed price, the deposit paid, and the terms of the sale? If not then I wouldn't consider the car sold."

He denied my first offer, and then accepted my second. I've had another person ring him and he told them the same thing "Car not sold, but has an offer slightly higher than what I offered him".

Should I ring him back and go down there and take the change of ownership application off him with his signature and get the wheels in motion? (pardon the pun). I just think he sholdn't have told me he accepted my offer if he wasn't willing to consider the car sold for my offer price. This was my thinking anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you're sure want the car then why not agree to pay him a deposit and get a receipt stating the agreed price, the deposit paid, and the terms of the sale? This way, he's obliged to sell you the car and you're obliged to buy it. I'd also include a get-out clause in the event that the car is damaged in the meantime, taking pictures of the car now. It's unreasonable to expect him to part with anything, the VLC included, until the car is paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep once a deposit is given its called "consideration", if I remember my Law classes in Uni, and he hasn't a leg to stand on if he tried to pull a fast one on you after that. Just make sure he gives you come kind of note that states his name, the amount of money and what its for and has his signature, doesnt matter if its written on a ciggie packet or a bog roll, once you have proof of it, the car is yours (when the other conditions are met..full payment , keys swapped etc).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement