Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance is surely getting cheaper happy days

Options
  • 04-09-2006 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Are Quinn Direct doing cheap insurance at the minute.

They are €400 cheaper than anyone else.

My premiums is €900 a year and I got a quote from them of €646. My broker stated not to accept quote without first ringing them. My broker is quoting €846. Saving of €200. It really is a buyers market out there at the minute.

Only five years ago was I paying €4000 for insurance.

If anyone has any other good brokers or insurance company recommendations plesae feel free to post.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Happy days for now. Unfortunatly it looks like we might be at the low point of the insurance cycle. Stats suggest the companies are paying out more in damages again. The membership of the ISF turned a huge profit for 2005 but premuims only dropped by 1.5% overall.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Last year I was paying €2,400 on a 1.4, this year come renewal time, I will be paying <€1,000 on a 1.9TDI (130bhp)....I really can't believe how cheap insurance has gotten for me in such a short space of time....ain't complaining! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Quinn definately arent the cheapest in all cases.
    My fathers just bought a 3.0V6 Jaguar S-type which is less than a year old and valued somewhere around 50k. He has 5years company car NCB, a full license and 2 points.
    Quinn Direct quoted him €1025 which I didnt think was bad at all.
    I then rang eagle star on his behalf and they quoted him €477 including breakdown cover which is a stunning offer. Didnt even bother ringing anywhere else, as I cant see how it could become much cheaper!
    My mother and myself will both be ringing them when it's renewal time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Check out Tesco online - saved €250 on my quote and got free roadside assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Am with First Ireland Brokers

Got in touch with them today they said that they would match the Quinn Direct quote.

I have two issues - please help.

1) In the two years I have been insured with them I have never received a NCB cert from the insurance company through them.

2) The existing insurer motor policy is under St. Pauls, it states Wrightway Underwriting on the renewal policy.

Enquired and they say the St. Pauls is the parent company of Wrightway Undertaking, is this right?

What is peoples opinions. Go to Quinn Direct?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

It is coming down in price but the male/female divide is still a joke

Have a female friend who wrote off a car and did a good bit of damage to a truck, all claimed off her insurance. We both are the same age and have the same driving experience except for I have never had an accident thankfully. However after the accident her comprehensive premium is the same as my third party fire and thief..... am fuming!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheap insurance is a sign your getting old. :D

My renewal with FBD was actually more expensive than last year. After a bit of haggling I got them down to €20 cheaper than last year. They were still cheaper than the others though.

Bazz what do you think about the above should I stay or go with Quinn Direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye quinn are good. buy it online and it's cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

They quoted me e784 to renew with them. Just for the craic I put my details into their site and it came out at e616, so they've given it to me for that. Was paying 2800 in my first year with a Hyundai Coupe, 1400 in the second with a Toyota Sera, 800 lat year, and now 616. Adding the girlfriend who's on a provisional has never added a penny to the quote for me alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

mine is 1100 I think and I have my wife on it - cost nothing extra and she only had a provisional for 1 month... can't beat their prices.

Ok so I reckon ill switch to Quinn Direct and see how I get on with them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Quinn use this ply to pull customers in, on your renewal you will get creamed by them compared to other companies, its best to keep jumping ship every year to get the best deal for yourself. If you stay with the same company year after year they will take it for granted that you are staying with them where as other firms are trying to get your business from the competition so they will offer cheaper!!

I was with quinn.... 20 provo €3555 TPF&T on a micra, 21 Provo €2200 TPF&T Corolla 1.4
    Quinn for the 3rd year offered me €2000 TPF&T and I refused cos I got fully comp with no claims protection and a tonne of other stuff off allianz like open drive for €1500!!

kluivert wrote:
    Bazz what do you think about the above should I stay or go with Quinn Direct?

I don't know really as I have had no first hand experience of QD myself, I have only heard stories that they are bad to deal with in the event you have to make a claim. Then again every insurance company is probably the same when it comes to paying up.

Again only second hand information but I have heard QD being referred to before as the Ryan Air of insurance companies, so make what you want of that yourself.

My advice would be to study each policies and take note of what is covered and not covered, eg. windscreen cover, NCB protection, etc. Also check how much the excess is on the policy before deciding which one to go for.

jonny24ie wrote:
    Quinn use this ply to pull customers in, on your renewal you will get creamed by them compared to other companies, its best to keep jumping ship every year to get the best deal for yourself. If you stay with the same company year after year they will take it for granted that you are staying with them where as other firms are trying to get your business from the competition so they will offer cheaper!!

I was with quinn.... 20 provo €3555 TPF&T on a micra, 21 Provo €2200 TPF&T Corolla 1.4
    Quinn for the 3rd year offered me €2000 TPF&T and I refused cos I got fully comp with no claims protection and a tonne of other stuff off allianz like open drive for €1500!!

This is true especially up to a few years ago when it was like getting blood from a stone to get your current insurance company to issue you your NCB so that you could shop around. Thankfully these days the laws are a bit more straight forward. Insurance companies have to send your renewal out weeks before your policy is up, plus they must issue your NCB also. As always shop around and play these companies off each other for the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

jonny24ie wrote:

R u still on a prov license?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As they saying goes "you get what you pay for" - while this is true of most insurance companies, I am reliably informed by a work colleague who was with Quinn that the same does not apply to them.

Cheap- not always best, Have you tried Britton??????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

sofireland wrote:
    R u still on a prov license?

I am indeed!

Am going to stick with the company am with.

They are offering Breakdown assistance, windscreen cover, Excess is the same if slightly higher.

Thanks for the advice lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement