Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

I would like some help please

• 04-09-2006 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey i did a diploma n tv and film production, now i wud like to switich and study special effects makeup. I was wondering if there was anywhere you could recomend. I googled it and alot of places you have to have a portfolio, i dont have one. Another course costs 3500 for about 4 months and i jus dont know if i can afford it. I would appriciate your advice, as my heart is in this big time. Plz stir me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Start from scratch all on your own... then go to America and enroll in Tom Savinis Course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if you dig back a bit, there' a group in cork doing filmmaking that specialize in special effects make up, contact them to see what advice they can give you.

EDIT:

wait a sec, thats you trendkill...Talk to this guy (points up) about special effects of that sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

When i was in st.johns, we were looking for a guy for especila fx make-up and prosthetics. There was a guy in the class that was good at it, but wouldn't do it for us. Our Set Design Lecturer, Don did a little bit of it, but thats as far as it went. Then that left us nowhere, so it was upto ourselves to teach ourselves. Lots on the internet, takes alot of practice and alot of mess. The carpet of a friends appartment is wrecked with Latex, lots of clothes too, and when alginate goes off, the smell!!!!. Then plaster paris... all the dust, dried plaster in carpet..... i could go on.. but its good fun. The first head cast we did, we didn't have foam latex... which is a must have for it to look good, so we just used normal latex, here is a link to pictures of our early attempts from last year for a zombie short.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8948558417366018434

http://web.mac.com/deeconproductions/iWeb/Deecon%20Productions/SPECIAL%20FX_files/15-05-06_1414.jpg

http://web.mac.com/deeconproductions/iWeb/Deecon%20Productions/SPECIAL%20FX_files/LESTA.jpg

The last one was from along time ago, we used normal latex, but foam latex can be blended to the skin to look as one, completely seamless. But a new material to use is Prosthetic Grade Gelatin which can be made easily, its starting to take over from Foam Latex. (theres just something about crushed cow bones being put on someones face that stops me from using it though and eating jelly sweets... uhhhh!)

Advertisement