Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stans ban... what a joke

• 04-09-2006 5:07pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

firstly i dont want this to turn into another should he have the job thread.

Steve Staunton was sent from the sideline against Germany for kicking a bottle in frustration after a decision went against Ireland, and now it is being decided what action is to be taken against him with a one game ban most likely. Is it just me or is this taking the piss? He was simply showing a bit of emotion, he did not verbally criticise the ref he kicked a bottle. Kicking a bottle is the type of thing someone does to relieve frustration without going to the lenghts that could get you banned i.e he was annoyed at the decision and kicked the bottle instead of giving the ref an ear full. Does anyone else not find this just a little stupid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Heh, seems a bit silly to me but I guess we will find out Friday (when the hearing is). I'd be suprised if it goes any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Well he kicked the bottles, was constantly outside of his technical area, caused a lot of problems for the fourth official and was demonstrably unhappy with the referee.

A one game ban would be quite good if that's all he gets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

If he was sent from the bench to the stand i reckon he'll get a one game ban. His carry-on was ridiculous though. What was he even giving out about? If anything i thought ireland got the rub of the green on saturday regarding the ref. The germans should have had a penalty, a lot of the frees in the early stages of the game were given in irelands favour. He looked way out of his depth on saturday night, never looked comfortable and i also thought he was about to cry in the post match interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Agreed with previous posts. Stan did more than just kick a bottle. He was being a complete pest!!! The referee had already warned him so he probably gets what he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Bottles have feelings too....

I dunno, I think he deserves what he gets, he is doing the whole "one of the lads"/"kick every ball with the" routine. What we actually need is professionalism and leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

firstly i dont want this to turn into another should he have the job thread.

Steve Staunton was sent from the sideline against Germany for kicking a bottle in frustration after a decision went against Ireland, and now it is being decided what action is to be taken against him with a one game ban most likely. Is it just me or is this taking the piss? He was simply showing a bit of emotion, he did not verbally criticise the ref he kicked a bottle. Kicking a bottle is the type of thing someone does to relieve frustration without going to the lenghts that could get you banned i.e he was annoyed at the decision and kicked the bottle instead of giving the ref an ear full. Does anyone else not find this just a little stupid?

He was outside the area at least twice before he kicked the bottles. The ref then warned him. He kicked the bottles, bye bye Stan.

I seen managers removed for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ruu wrote:
    Heh, seems a bit silly to me but I guess we will find out Friday (when the hearing is). I'd be suprised if it goes any further.
    You get an automatic ban if you're sent to stand just like a player does. You have to appeal it if you want to get off. As it is, Stan won't appeal as he won't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I'm not worried, I'm sure Duffers agent will do a fine job as stand in manager.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I think a fair punishment would be to give him the sack. He is brutal and has no experience even at club level.

"All the players number 1-14 were all magnificent tonight" What a crap statement.

Stan, do the honerable thing and walk away now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Rules are rules. If it wasn't that way you might see managers with better kicking ability than Stan accidently wellying waterbottles at Torsten Frings head and then explaining it away as "a bit of emotion".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

he did not verbally criticise the ref he kicked a bottle.
    I'm not a great lip reader, but it looks like he shouted in the refs direction **** off, and when the 4th official came his way, he shouted 'and you can **** off as well'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Ban him for life ! We can only improve

BolBill wrote:
    Ban him for life ! We can only improve
    We'd likely hold onto Pat Devlin as manager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Thus "outburst" by stan was prob one of his best tactical moves of the game! Getting sent off ensured it would be a focal point in all the post match analysis which would escape him interview time in exactly how poor the team was :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Not excusing what Stan did, but the German TV director refusing to show a replay of the penalty incident would seem to indicate that Stan may have had a point...

Its laughable people complaining about a 1-0 defeat away to Germany, especially when the goal was a fluke and we missed an easy chance in the last second. In actual fact the game wasnt dissimilar to the last time we played a European championship game in Stuttgart. Three differences being our keeper didnt have as many saves to make this time, the last time our opponents didnt get a lucky deflection to score a goal, and this time their left back didnt make a howler to gift us a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I found myself agreeing with Dunphy on this one. With twenty minutes to go he had a job to do, we were 1-0 down and needed some inspired substitututions. Instead Duff is whipped off and I don't care what Stan said in the post game interview but I don't believe they meant to take Duff off. If it was a mistake do you really think he'd stand up and say they meant to take somebody else off?

I heard that and thought he was being a hypocrite - he'll defend others walking away from a job to be done (not aluding to anything, honest!) depending on whether he likes them or not. Also he's hijacked himself and his own career on more than one occasion when his employers might have been expecting some professionalism.

I'm not saying that he was wrong - just think it's a bit rich coming from him.

I agree with the source of the citicism not being the greatest but what I'm saying is that the point he made was a very valid one imo. If it was somebody that Dunphy liked that was managing the team then he'd have a different opinion for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought Dunphy was a disgrace personally. Using national TV to vent his vendetta against Staunton. Calling a 1-0 defeat away to Germany a shambles was just nonsense. He even blamed Staunton for Shay Given not having the wall lined up properly FFS. And he blamed Staunton for the players not attacking the ball after the free was taken short. Crap. And amazingly people take it in.

Johhny Giles had it spot on. As usual.

The apres match skit afterwards was top quality :D

The apres match skit afterwards was top quality :D
    Damn - they'd the tv in the pub switched to boxing before that came on... Still waiting for it to appear on youtube but no sign yet :(

• Advertisement

When i say Dunphy had a valid point, I only mean about Staunton being sent off. The rest was just his usual poison

Advertisement