Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to check broadband speed?

• 04-09-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Have finally got wireless broadband into my home and was wondering how do I check what speed my connection is at.

I sign up for 2MB, and I have checked in "All Connections" and I seem to have 2 icons showing the following:

1394 connection (Speed: 400.0 mbps)
    and
    Local Area Connection (Speed: 100.0 mbps)

Which one is correct and how do I check?

Thanks for any help as I would prefer to check before I ring the provider.

(I only have the connection 3 days, so there maybe a mistake?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Click here for a speedtest.

1394 is something connected to your firewire port, nothing to do with BB afaik.
    The LAN 100.0Mbps is the speed from the computer to the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Maxwell wrote:
    I sign up for 2MB
    That's 2MB from your receiver to the Wireless base station.
    , and I have checked in "All Connections" and I seem to have 2 icons showing the following:

1394 connection (Speed: 400.0 mbps)
    That's a "firewire" card in your PC - used for connecting a video camera or an external hard drive.
    Local Area Connection (Speed: 100.0 mbps)
    That's the speed of ethernet interface that connects you to your wireless receiver.
    Which one is correct and how do I check?
    They're both correct, and you've just checked them.

To see how fast your broadband connection is, download something from a fast server, such as ftp.heanet.ie. It doesn't matter what you download, you're just checking your speed.
    You can also do "speedtest" at www.speedtest.ie or www.irishisptest.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thanks very much for that - I appreciate it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

To get as close a reading as possible, don't run your speed test over a home wi-fi connection [if you have one] Physically connect to your router by cable. I have done a few internal tests at home over wireless [802.11g] and have noticed that it peaks at about 150KB/s to 180KB/s. This is when computer to wireless access point distance is less than 2 meters with line of sight.

Cheers, thanks for that.

I checked it out and Im connecting at just under 1MB, so I logged a call with the provider to get me the extra 1mb Im paying for.

On another note (and please excuse the stupid question), but when I turn on the PC initially and then click on Internet explorer, it then displays the message: "Detecting proxy settings" - but this takes about 20seconds - is there a way of improving on this (i.e. allow it to automatically detect the settings and open the home page faster?) *Im using IE 6*
    This is the same when I try to open an extra internet explorer page (to go to another site)

**Im very happy to be moving from dialup after 3 years of waiting - but I would love to have the best experience possible and hence my questions**

Appreciate any help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Maxwell wrote:
    Cheers, thanks for that.

I checked it out and Im connecting at just under 1MB, so I logged a call with the provider to get me the extra 1mb Im paying for.
    Don't expect to get a speed test result of 2MB on a 2MB connection. 80% of the rated service would be considered a pretty good result in most cases.
    On another note (and please excuse the stupid question), but when I turn on the PC initially and then click on Internet explorer, it then displays the message: "Detecting proxy settings" - but this takes about 20seconds - is there a way of improving on this (i.e. allow it to automatically detect the settings and open the home page faster?) *Im using IE 6*
    Tools/Internet Options/Connec tion/LAN Settings. Uncheck "Automatically detect settings.

Foxwood wrote:
    Don't expect to get a speed test result of 2MB on a 2MB connection. 80% of the rated service would be considered a pretty good result in most cases.

Tools/Internet Options/Connec tion/LAN Settings. Uncheck "Automatically detect settings.

I presume if I get in and around 1.5mb - that pretty good then? Im happy with the speed and just wanted to make sure that I was on the correct option.

Thank you very,very much for the help re: the settings - its perfect now and lightening quick (hey, everything is lightening quick after dial up!)

God I love it!! (Who would have thought that movie trailers play straight away and there is no wait ...................there is a GOD!)

Happy camper saying thanks again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Maxwell wrote:
    I presume if I get in and around 1.5mb - that pretty good then? Im happy with the speed and just wanted to make sure that I was on the correct option.

Anywhere between 1.6 and 1.8 is good for a 2Mb connection. So I wouldn't be concerned about 1.5Mbps
    Maxwell wrote:
    Thank you very,very much for the help re: the settings - its perfect now and lightening quick (hey, everything is lightening quick after dial up!)

God I love it!! (Who would have thought that movie trailers play straight away and there is no wait ...................there is a GOD!)

Congratulation dude. I remember the first time I got 512Kbps "broadband" I was chuffed with myself. Then onto 1Mb, then 2Mb. But I won't even talk about the jump to 6Mbps...... Woah.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Borris

Maxwell wrote:

LOL I know what you mean Maxwell. Just moved from 56K to 3Mb wireless broadband. :-D i dont think i can stop grinning yet!

Advertisement