Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Expensive?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Thinking of getting my first car in the coming weeks and was thinking a 3 door ford focus, but looking about on the net they seem pretty expensive. Like between 6k and 7k for a 99. What do you think I should be paying for a 99 or 00 one with around 70 or 80 thousand miles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

ya should be able to get a 99 one for around the €5k mark, have a look on www.cbg.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Didn't really think cbg was that good a site. This looks like a nice one

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=459144

how much would you get the dealer down to? Another 500 off it with cash or that too much?

Or even would anyone know a good alternative for something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I just picked up a 99 Skoda Octavia 1.6GLXi for my brother's girlfriend. 49k, full service history and a/c, all for €4,400. Food for thought, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tony Danza wrote:

how much would you get the dealer down to? Another 500 off it with cash or that too much?

That is a nice example alright.

The 1.6 litre is alot more lively than the standard 1.4 litre Focus. Also it stats that it has air con. I would check this as air con was rare in the Focus back in 1999 especially since this one already has a sunroof. If it doesn't use it as a bargining tool in the price. Start off by offering them €5,100 cash but don't go above €5,400 for it. If they are not that flexible on the price try and get them to throw in an extended warranty on the car. Also check with them when the timing belt was last changed. At 86k it should have been done by now. Possibly another bargining tool.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I had a 99 1.6 3 door Zetec, which had both a s/r and a/c.

It was black. A bugger to keep clean.

Nice car though. Zetec spec. is much better than the LX. Nicer sports seats, leather wheel, and sports suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

bazz26 wrote:
    That is a nice example alright.

The 1.6 litre is alot more lively than the standard 1.4 litre Focus. Also it stats that it has air con. I would check this as air con was rare in the Focus back in 1999 especially since this one already has a sunroof. If it doesn't use it as a bargining tool in the price. Start off by offering them €5,100 cash but don't go above €5,400 for it. If they are not that flexible on the price try and get them to throw in an extended warranty on the car. Also check with them when the timing belt was last changed. At 86k it should have been done by now. Possibly another bargining tool.
    Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Anan1 wrote:
    I just picked up a 99 Skoda Octavia 1.6GLXi for my brother's girlfriend. 49k, full service history and a/c, all for €4,400. Food for thought, perhaps?

Sounds like an excellent deal. Where did you get it? Have looked to change to an Octavia but have found it hard to find any with AC which is a necessity for me. Does the GLXi fall into the ambient/Elegence categories or how do their system of models work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ChewyLuey wrote:
    Sounds like an excellent deal. Where did you get it? Have looked to change to an Octavia but have found it hard to find any with AC which is a necessity for me. Does the GLXi fall into the ambient/Elegence categories or how do their system of models work ?

1998 - 2000 Octavia MkI trim levels:
    LX (Basic spec model)
    GLX (Middle spec model)
    SLX (High spec model)
    Laurin & Klement (Top spec model including leather and climate control)

Air Condtioning was an expensive optional extra on all Octavias (as it is with most VWs too) except the Laurin & Klement model which is as rare as hen's teeth.

2001 - 2004 Octavia MkI trim levels:
    Classic (Basic spec model)
    Ambient (Middle spec model)
    Elegence (High spec model)
    vRS (Sport spec model)
    Laurin & Klement (Top spec model, special order only)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tony Danza wrote:

Thats a savage example imo. I see its now sold, did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ChewyLuey wrote:

I bought it on eBay, collecting it from the UK on Sunday. I wouldn't buy a car without a/c either, I think it's standard on the UK GLXi, although to be honest I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

when were on the focus subject, anyone wanna throw a rough price for a 2003 focus 1.4 3 door with 31k miles? i'm wondering if i have mine priced too high

Advertisement