Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Stress

• 04-09-2006 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys

Iv just found out that I have very high blood pressure. The thing is is that there is no obvious cause for this....Im of average build,so not overweight,not a heavy drinker at all and Im only 29 so there is nothing that is obviously the cause of my blood pressure

The thing is though that Im a senior manager in a high stress enviroment which is fairly relentless. I know prolonged stress aint so good for you but how long does stress need to go on for before it starts to effect ur health?

The other thing I was wondering was if anybody else is or was in the same suituation how they dealt with reducing thier stress levels with out it impacting on thier preformance in work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Cant say i know much about it but stress can definately affect your health and well being and obviously blood pressure

There are stress management courses a lot of the larger companies will actually pay for.

other than that take frequent breaks, learn deep breathing techniques and prioritise your workload. The company shouldnt go under if you need to take a 10 minute time out for some fresh air or a breather should you feel yourself getting worked up.

cant really avoid the stress in that environment all you can do is release it regularly and not let it build up.

Not sure about exercising or gyms with the blood pressure situation but if you can find a relaxing hobby or ones that relieves stress then that might be beneficial. Find out what you can do that makes you totally relaxed.

just dont let it build up too much is basically what i am saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

You haven't mentioned diet, which can be a huge factor in high blood pressure. If you think stress is an issue it can contribute to blood pressure issues in a lot of ways. Your physiologic response to stress can lead to pressure problems, I'm not going into it since this isn't a medical board, but talking to your doctor would seem like the obvious course if you haven't done so already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I totally agree with 'AngryBadger', I assume as you already know about your high blood pressure, you must have been to your Doctor/G.P.

Have they put you on preventative medication such as Aspirin or Lipitor to control your cholestorel which is very important.

If not, then I suggest you go back to your G.P. ASAP.

P. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

it sounds like its your lifestyle. For a start u need to get blood pressure tablets immediately as high blood pressure damages your cardio vascular system over time, and maybe u have had it longer than u realise. consider changing your lifestyle considerably as your physical body can not deal with your current life. ie. leave your job and get a relatively stress free job or u will have a premature death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Kaiser1: First of all, consult and follow the instructions of your GP. You might also ask him about diet and exercise? Certain foods and drinks may raise your BP, while others mediate it? Also, some things we consume are good for us, if limited. Wine comes to mind. A small glass a day can be good, while two or more not so good. But once again, ask your GP.

Exercise is a great stress reducer. I do taekwondo, which, unlike many other sports, can be started and performed by persons of any age. Find something like this that you can stay with for most of your life, but once again, consult your GP about it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I'm 31 and I have had high blood pressure for years now. It's not necessarily the stress of your job. I have worked in some very high stress positions. In my case it's simply my genes. My grandfather suffered from very high blood pressure for many years.

For me it's tied to my weight. About 5 years ago I first got my proper diagnosis. I knew about it before that because I had high readings on previous check-ups over the years. I wasn't particularly over weight, just 20lbs. I did some exercise, lost some weight and it improved. Since then I have fallen off the wagon and need to lose those 20lbs again. My doctor has been on to me about it just recently. Also, my last cholesterol check was very good, better than average, so the two do not go hand in hand. I will probably have to go back on some drugs myself for a while until I shift this weight.

I would recommend exercise to both reduce your blood pressure and reduce your stress levels. If you go on medication do it with a plan to step back the doses when you make other life style changes. It will also depend on the doctor. Some will just write a prescription and send you on your way without working with you on lifestyle changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

kaiser1 wrote:
    hey guys

Iv just found out that I have very high blood pressure. The thing is is that there is no obvious cause for this....Im of average build,so not overweight,not a heavy drinker at all and Im only 29 so there is nothing that is obviously the cause of my blood pressure

The thing is though that Im a senior manager in a high stress enviroment which is fairly relentless. I know prolonged stress aint so good for you but how long does stress need to go on for before it starts to effect ur health?

The other thing I was wondering was if anybody else is or was in the same suituation how they dealt with reducing thier stress levels with out it impacting on thier preformance in work.

I had a similar problem about 5 years ago - my blood pressure went through the roof, and it was almost certainly stress related, as normally I have normal BP. Its certainly worth taking stock of things. For me it was a very negative relationship I was in at the time that was literally destroying my life and my sanity. There are real alternatives to a high stress job, if you are willing to let go of some of the economic benefits. I myself eventually moved to the south west and lost weight - lifestyle doesn't help either. Now I'm extremely fit, not overweight, and in much better health. Giving up smoking if you smoke is also helpful. It will not take long to start causing other helth problems - though obviously this would vary from person to person.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Kernel32 wrote:
    In my case it's simply my genes.

Yup
    There is no escape from your genes. I remember when I was pregnant, I would sit in the waiting room for over an hour, sometimes two, for a doctor to give me a check up. By the time he did, my bp would be through the roof.
    So I'd be checked straight into hospital. One hour later it would be down to normal again as I just lay there resting.
    I have always found waiting around very frustrating hence the bp shooting up. Same thing happened again last month while waiting for a doctor to see me :/ - stress is a big factor with regards to bp imo.
    My doctor also said that coffee doesn't help and for sure, anything with salt is a killer.
    How come your doctor hasn't told you all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

kaiser1 wrote:
    h...how long does stress need to go on for before it starts to effect ur health?....

If you have HP then stress is already effecting your heath.

You should be talking to your GP and dealing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Beruthiel wrote:
    I would sit in the waiting room for over an hour, sometimes two, for a doctor to give me a check up. By the time he did, my bp would be through the roof.

There's a documented condition whereby people anticipating a BP measurement will develop elevated BP, called white coat hypertension. Read all about it in wikipedia. Sounds like you might have had it.

A more accurate reading for people with this condition can be done by attaching a cuff, which takes regular readings over a 24hr period in the comfort of your own home (or office or wherever).

• Advertisement
Advertisement