Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECDL - experiences/thoughts?

• 04-09-2006 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭

right, so, now in TY, the ECDL is coming soon enough. so what are people's thoughts on it, and people's experiences after completing it?

are you confident about it? how do you think you will do? how have past people done? etc.

advice etc all welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah we do it too, because of timetabelling and me wanting to do both French and German I may miss one of my two ECDL classes a week but I'm fairly computer-literate so it shouldn't be too bad, the only thing I'm not too familiar with are Excel and Acces. In the ECDL do you get to familiarise yourself with different OSs or just Windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm starting it soon, there's a new server being put in right now in school so we'll start when that's done.
    I did most of the stuff that's on it in computer class in first year, so it should be easy.

You got Computer class? Snazzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

I started it the last day. The discs you get just teach you how to do it so the teacher does nothing. Its so boring though. If only the person thats narrating the stuff on the cd had a more exciting voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Piste wrote:
    Yeah had it once a week, made our own websites and all, it was fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We're doing it, stupidly enough, in 5th and 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

apparently its meant to be a pisstake, I did the one from the Irish Commercial Board or something, got highest mark in it :D

I may be missing one ECDL class a week for French class, but if it's really as easy as it's made out to be that shouldn't be a problem. So is it only Windows you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

THE most BORING class ever. I've been using a computer since I was 8, and teh otehr morning I had to watch a pc teach me how to open a word document and how to save it. I was after being hyper all morning(coffee with 5 sugars when ur not used to caffeine does that to you), and I was yawning my entire way thorugh teh class. Worse was at home though when I heard yer womans voice....why did my parents pay for this????

Piste wrote:
    I may be missing one ECDL class a week for French class, but if it's really as easy as it's made out to be that shouldn't be a problem. So is it only Windows you use?

yep its with office applications... its generally done in Windows anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Piste wrote:
    I did it last year. Our teacher gave us out bick thick books and went through it with us, while most of just used bebo and the like (untill he blocked it). Boring stuff, and fairly easy for anyone who's fairly familiar with a PC. The thing that anoyed me is that we went so slow and only got 5 of the 7 modules done.

And, it's only Windows. (well for us it was anyway:confused: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im doing it now and its the biggest waste of time ever!the teacher acts as though weve never seen a computer before and dosent even let ya turn it on before he tells you.its a waste of a class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Piste wrote:
    Yeah, we got to learn how to type up CVs.

"hey miss,how do you spell ugly?".
    :rolleyes:

I had my first ECDL class today, 10/15 minutes spent logging on, the rest was spent on how to make folders, how to make folders WITHIN folders. Then for my second ECDL class (we have a double a week) it was spent in a different class with a different teacher where we had been told to "familiarise ourselves with windows" so I just played minesweeper and spider solitare for the class. My Lord, it's such a wastye of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

I have double computer class four times a week and we have been doing the word processing module or whatever it's called since the first day of school. I actually think I will do really badly in it because I just cannot listen in that class,I find it really boring. :( The minute my teacher starts talking with all these big fancy computery words I just stop listening and I spend the whole class watching this little computer dude dancing in the corner of the screen!

yep it can be boring having a teacher yabbering on about stuff... especially boring when you knew how to do it all already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

the ECDl cert is a waste of time, it has being used and abused over last few years by companies selling courses 1 day course 3 day course, 1 week course online courses 24 hour course 72 hour course, that most employers are not interested in the qualification because it is no indication of real ability. the full syllabus for European computer driving licence is 3,500 pages long.
    if you want a decent applications(office) qualification do the MOUS course microsoft office user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

uhm...do we even have a choice in TY? O_o
    or did you even know that this is the TY forum...

I wanted to just sit the exams of the modules we didn't do in class. I passed the others without any work, and I'd love a full ECDL qualification to put on my CV.

Actually does anyone have a full list of all the different modules in case I want to sit one we don't do in class?

• Advertisement

Module 1 - Basic Concepts of Information Technology (IT)
    Module 2 - Using the Computer and Managing Files
    Module 3 - Word Processing
    Module 4 - Spreadsheets
    Module 5 - Databases
    Module 6 - Presentations
    Module 7 - Information & Communication

Source: http://www.ecdl.nhs.uk/qualification/modules

I think I got 1 to 5 done.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

ECDl is the most boring class that ever existed.it appears to be designed for someone who has never seen a computer.i have one of the tests done,the teacher basically gave us the answers if we didnt know them.apparently a few people didn't pass,which amazed me.i spand the whole class on the internet www.hidemyass.com gets passes the block on bebo :D

already!?

jesus we're only doing our first exam on monday :s

its Word so like, lol

CM>*>word

I don't think we do the tests till the end of the year. I also spend most of my time on Bebo, they blocked most of the proxies for ages, but then the web design class needed collegepie.com for class and so that can be used for Bebo. Unfortunately webmessenger and ebuddy wont work though :(

bebo wtf, bebo ****ing sucks donkey dick. biggest heap of ****e ever.

anywho, module 3 done today, guarentted 100% on it, it was fecking piss easy, had it done in under 30 mins.

I like Bebo.

[on topic] We're doing module 1 and 3 tests after midterm. My timetable for tuesday is weird so I have one ECDL class with my teacher who "teaches" us, then another with another teacher who teaches another class while we have to do whatever the last teacher has set us to do (which is usually "read this page" which really doesn't take 40 mins) so today I just skipped my second ECDL class and went home for a shower because I hate having my time wasted[/on topic]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My god...ECDL = Piece of ****

I have all my 7 done.

I have 4/7 done. Gonna sit the powerpoint one next time I can, I did most of the other ones like file management and IT and communications before we'd done the modules cos it's basic computer literacy which as easy to pass. I wont be able to wing access or excel though cos I havent a clue how to use them so I''ll have to wait till we do the module in them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

As far as I remeber Database was the hardest. Leave that till last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I've got my databases one on friday. Done word and excel already, though some girls have still to PASS them... But yeah. Disc is so GOD AWFUL. God I loathe the way it works. So so so slow. If I didn't have to wait for every little bit of information to slowly appear, I'd probably have the thing done in an hour. (thing being module 5, don't think I could do 7 modules in an hour, as easy as they may be).

We're not getting an option as to what we do/when we do it either, which is annoying. We spent the first month or two of school doing... word... which I could have done without even looking at the disc. Grr. So long as we get it done before the end of 6th year I'll be happy.

Advertisement