Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a cheque??

Options
  • 04-09-2006 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know people are going to think im a right bastard when they read this but anyway's.

I was sellnig somethnig on buy and sell a stick of ram for 30E.

Some guy e-mailed me saying he know's a guy that wanted to buy and he would send me a cheque.

Anyway's got the cheque this morning but the thing is it's for 3,000.00
    It's AIB my name is on it there is also an ESB mark on it, it also has two Authorised signatory which are signed by two different name's.

Anyway's what do ye think could I change this? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is it written "three thousand euro" also? Contact the buyer and let him know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Three Thousands Euro Only ****

When I said change it I didn't mean change it to 30Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Hi

I know people are going to think im a right bastard when they read this but anyway's.

Some guy e-mailed me saying he know's a guy that wanted to buy and he would send me a cheque.

It's AIB my name is on it there is also an ESB mark on it, it also has two Authorised signatory which are signed by two different name's.

I have a feeling that the buyer will be in touch asking you to send them a cheque for the €2970 balance, do not do that under any circumstances as the original €3000 cheque WILL bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's a scam - destroy the cheque immediately. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This is the trade mark scam, he's going to ask you just to send a cheque back for €2,970 and then he's cheque is going to bounce and your left with out your stick of ram and possibly €2,970.

• Advertisement

BingoBongo wrote:
    This is the trade mark scam, he's going to ask you just to send a cheque back for €2,970 and then he's cheque is going to bounce and your left with out your stick of ram and possibly €2,970.

Me send him a cheque :eek: wouldn't be a chance.

Yeah I think there is something up it's irish cheque but came from spain registered post he send the guy sent it to his office in Spain are something like that. But I told him load's of time's it's 30Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yeah scam, just accept that you've lost your RAM and move on.

What you talking about I have my ram here :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

If he has your ram lodge the cheque and forget about the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

EOA_Mushy wrote:
    If he has your ram lodge the cheque and forget about the guy.

EOA: Wrong advice. Do you think these guys are amateurs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

the cheque will bounce, like a fat guy on a trampoline... you wont hear anything from the scammer after you ignore him for a week or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What you talking about I have my ram here :p

Oh okay, well then just ignore the whole lot, put the cheque in a frame and put it on your wall!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

yeah, certainly don't lodge the cheque. You will be charged fees for the bounced cheque.

Best recommendation is to send it back to him and forget about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

shred it or else ask the bank to pay you to look at it for their investigations department (they like to stay up to date you see ) . Its a cashback scam so do not lodge it either like misterq said.

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Nigerian/counterfeit_cashiers_check_scams.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I'd lodge it anyway and see what happens. But tell the bank you think it might be a dud and see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

hi joebhoy,just got a cheque myself today esb one for 2,200 euros.
    was,nt a dr brown anderson by any chance?.

Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

tell your Bank the details of the Deal and ask them to investigate the cheque. They may be able to assist in catching the guy and preventing someone else getting scammed.

hawker27 wrote:
    hi joebhoy,just got a cheque myself today esb one for 2,200 euros.
    was,nt a dr brown anderson by any chance?.

Nope. Where did it come from?

The guy sent me an e-mail saying there was a mistake asking could I send him the 2,970Euro :rolleyes: by western union.

What's the first two digit's on the sort code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

go to the online buying and aution section i have a threadd in there with pictures of the cheque and envelope.
    i deleted all my emails from him and told him i,ll report him to yahoo and the law not heard back him since

The guy sent me an e-mail saying there was a mistake asking could I send him the 2,970Euro :rolleyes: by western union.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Tell him that's no problem but because of September 11th there is higher security features and the below forms must be completed by him,

Tell them to print them off fill them in and then scan back and he'll have his money straight away.

WU-security-validation-form.jpg

That should keep him busy from scamming people for a while.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

Did u really think you could lodge the cheque and just keep the 3k??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL @ the western union form !

Major scam which has taken off here unfortunately (we dont need to go into the reasons). Its a bit like the tayto ad...theres always one.

Fair play tho JoeBhoy, you didnt lose out.

Its a stolen / manipulated chq so if I were you I would bring it to the local branch of the bank that it was issued from, think you said AIB? explain to them what the craic is and they will be only too glad to take it from there, trust me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

...ESB mark on it...

do you mean electricity ESB? could you post an image of it

myhandle wrote:
    do you mean electricity ESB? could you post an image of it

What ever way it's done it's done it has somethnig to do with ESB. I dont really know anything much about them.

Yeah sent it to the bank.

Well for anyone out there who is selling something on buy and sell if you get a cheque with the sort code starting off with 93 and it's for more than you were selling item for burn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

93 is just the first 2 characters of a 6 digit AIB sort code

any cheque from AIB, even a real one! will have a 93 sort code
    and while we at it any cheque from Bank of Ireland will have a 90 sort code
    looking at the sort code alone is pointless

just be wise about the general scam of advance fee fraud, where someone overpays you and asks for the difference back

vector wrote:
    93 is just the first 2 characters of a 6 digit AIB sort code

any cheque from AIB, even a real one! will have a 93 sort code

Ohh

Advertisement