Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extending wireless signal

• 04-09-2006 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I've a BT ADSL modem with wireless enabled and am wondering what is the best way to get this signal into the office at the back of the garden? Wireless signal is faint and when the door to the office is closed, signal is lost.

Is it a bridge I need or if not what?

Thanks,

TD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What distance? What obstacles(Apart from the door)? What's the exact model of the router?
    Generally, to get a reasonable distance - as it sounds you may require - yes, an AP / bridge is required. Otherwise, reposition the router and/or respoitioning antennae or using a defelector may do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Distance is probably no more than 30 feet. Can't think of the model no. off hand, but it's the standard BT ADSL modem with wireless.

There are three walls in the way - one interior (plasterboard) and two exterior (house external and office external).

Any recommendations on model of bridge? Am I correct in assuming that I simply sit the bridge half-way between the wireless modem and the office? If that's the case, the bridge will be sitting beside the kettle in the kitchen :)

Also - any info on the repeater? What exactly is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I think I know the model of modem you are talking about. The coverage is a load of ****e on these.

A modular extender of some sort (like a cantenna etc,) would be useless as you cannot hardwire these into the antenna i/face on the modem motherboard.

Most AP's can be configured to operate in 'repeater mode' nowadays. i.e.. most Belkin devices. It basically suspends all operations bar switching and shoots all its power and resources into 'broadcasting' your WLAN. It should definitely extend your coverage.

Advertisement