Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

brake lights stay on

• 04-09-2006 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 2002 Ibiza. I noticed today when I took my foot off the brake pedal the brake lights stayed on.
    I pushed the brake pedal up towards the steering wheel and there was a clicking noise but it turned the lights off.
    This is the only way I can get them to switch off.
    Any ideas whats causing the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

It sounds to me like it's just a short in the electrics. The same thing happened to me last year after I fitted a new brake light bulb. The garage had given me the wrong one and the brake lights wouldn't turn off. I went back to them and got the correct bulb and it was fine after that. Did you recently change a bulb on the car? Or if the car was serviced, the garage may have replaced a bulb themselves and not told you.

Hope that helps.

Although, if you're hearing a click when you pull the brake pedal towards you, chances are that the switch under the pedal is jamming and that's why the lights are staying on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

likely to be a faulty switch on the pedal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Is there anything causing the pedal not to return to the height it should when you take your foot off the brake. Failing that it's a faulty brake light switch located behind the pedal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Avns1s wrote:
    Is there anything causing the pedal not to return to the height it should when you take your foot off the brake. Failing that it's a faulty brake light switch located behind the pedal.

I had a look behind the pedal and found the brake light switch. When the pedal is up fully it is not touching the end of the brake light switch.
    There seems to be nothing blocking it but I still have to pull it up towards the steering wheel to make it touch the switch and this in turn switches off the brake lights.
    Is there such a thing as a spring broken or something like that to stop it returning to its correct position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

Faulty Brake light switch, very common problem.
    Not easy to fit and new switch can be damaged if not done correctly.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I agree with previous posters - brake light switch. Very common problem accross the VW group. I imagine its similar to the one on my 2000 Bora which I changed in 10 mins. Just remove the lower dash panel and locate the switch. Twist it gently and it will slip out of its mounting. Refitting, as they say, is the reversal of removal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

crosstownk wrote:
    Refitting, as they say, is the reversal of removal.

Hi,

If you just push it in and twist into place at best it wont work and at worst you will damage the switch. The switch has a ratchet type plunger which has to be set up with the pedal before the switch is locked in.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hi,

If you just push it in and twist into place at best it wont work and at worst you will damage the switch. The switch has a ratchet type plunger which has to be set up with the pedal before the switch is locked in.

HTH

Really? Mine has worked fine ever since - maybe I just got lucky!

Advertisement