Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damn Neighbours *Shakes Fist*

Options
  • 04-09-2006 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

We've 3 cars between the family, and for the past while i've been parking outside on the road just at my grass verge, before i had my car, the neighbours 2 doors up used to always park infront of our house, we didnt mind it too much, but now i need to park my car there as there is no room in my drive, so i came home tonight to find the bloody neighbours car in my space, as i was late home the space was gone!! GRR!! i wouldnt mind too much but they have room in thier drive for another car and our road (cul de sac) is tight as it is without having cars parked either side.

just wondering should i say somthing to them, but on the other hand they could say that the space belongs to no one and first in gets it type of **** and cause a row subsequently having the neighbours from hell? these people have been known not to listen to reason.

Thanks for any advice

-VB-

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Annoying, but if it's outside your property and you'r driveway is left clear it's first come first serve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well our road is the same and we honour each others space outside the house

Just say something to them, I remember one of the lads parked in front of the house next door and they went mental saying they would block in all our cars because they got the train into work so none of us could get out. Situation was calmed down when I got back thou, seen the neighbours point thou because before when there was only one car at house they asked if htye could use the space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

park in their Driveway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used to have this problem in the last house I used to live in. It used to be a mad dash home to get the 'spot' outside.

There is nothing you can do - it is a public road and anyone is entitled to park there. The best you can do is explain your situation and hope they are understanding and leave the space for you. If you get on well with them then give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Is there space outside their house? Why do they choose to park outside yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Make a point of mowing the grass verge on a very regular basis and be sure to continually bang the mower handles of their car as you pass. They'll get the message. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy a plastic bollard or three! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Our neighbour has space for 3 cars, owns none, yet her granddaughter comes at 8:30 leaves it on the road outside, goes to work and returns around 6 to remove it from the road. My boss also parks outside his parents nextdoor similarly, but they only have room for 1 car.

We got the driveway done (grass removed) and the pillar widened this week so now we can fit 3 instead of 2 very tightly. So we don't need to park on the road anymore.

Can you not park across your own gate????? I would.

We still park outside as other neighbours have loads of kids who visit at the same time clogging the road and making it difficult to get into the driveway, never mind out!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mike65 wrote:
    Buy a plastic bollard or three! :)

Mike.
    Have you ever seen the old 1980's sit com Bread where with military precision cones left outside the house of the Jag owner were removed seconds before the jags arrival and as soon as it left the cones were back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Volvoboy wrote:
    We've 3 cars between the family, and for the past while i've been parking outside on the road just at my grass verge, before i had my car, the neighbours 2 doors up used to always park infront of our house, we didnt mind it too much, but now i need to park my car there as there is no room in my drive, so i came home tonight to find the bloody neighbours car in my space, as i was late home the space was gone!! GRR!! i wouldnt mind too much but they have room in thier drive for another car and our road (cul de sac) is tight as it is without having cars parked either side.

just wondering should i say somthing to them, but on the other hand they could say that the space belongs to no one and first in gets it type of **** and cause a row subsequently having the neighbours from hell? these people have been known not to listen to reason.

Thanks for any advice

-VB-
    just park out side their house... they will soon get the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Who ever gets home first should park on the road leaving the driveway for the late arrival. The lawnmower thing is probably taking things too far, but you could cover the side of the car with grass whem cutting it, rather than scratching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Burn their car

Move to a place with more parking spaces

Buy a motorbike

Buy an inflatable car and leave that in the space until you need it, then deflate and hey presto.

Plant a flower bed in the parking space and no-one can use it.

Have everyone in your family buy Fiat Pandas and you can park five of them in your driveway.

Get some wheel dollies, put their car on them and leave it down the road in the middle of the night. After a week of this they will get the message.

Leave aerosol cans of paint near their car and encourage the local teenagers to practice their graffitti skills.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Buy an inflatable car and leave that in the space until you need it, then deflate and hey presto.

Genius.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's on a public road I'm not sure any space is "yours".

I'd try for flexitime at work and come home earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I used to have problems with neighbours parking in my private driveway. Cheeky bastards. Had an abadoned car there at one point (Landlord had to break into it and move it down the road, months later the gardaí finally took it away after kids broke the windows and started playing in it).

A friend of mine puts traffic cones outside his house. I must try if people start parking in my space again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i suppose because technically the road is public there isnt really anything you can do, although neighbours should respect eachother and let eachother park outside their own property but legally im sure they dont have to :(

try chatting with them over a cup of tea or something if you get on with them. Also is there no space outside their house to park??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

My street has an increasing number of vehicles on it, so I've had this with neighbours I do, and donb't get on with.

You can't talk to some people, but you can try. If soemone parks outside my house on the road, it fvcks us up because I work nights and she days. That means I have to go to bed later than her, and get up at the same time to let her out of the drive.

A neighbours boyfriend once left his car there without moving it for a week, and another's daughter did the same while she was on holiday.

Just tell them the situation, and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I have the same problem. House 2 doors down have a massive white van (merc?) we live in a keyhold cul-de-sac if you know what I mean with houses at the rounded end and walls at the straight bit. White van man lives at the wall end.
    He insists on parking his van outside my house even though he would not be causing an obstruction if he parked it along the wall beside his house.
    The way the space outside my house is it cuts right into my garden so when I look out my living room window I can just see a big van its horrible.
    I have a big driveway but my husband is in a job where he sometimes is on call out and could be called out at any time of the day or night so on those days I park on the road so I dont have to get up to move my car or he doesnt and vice versa. If I do this white van driver parks his van right across his driveway and the next door neighbours driveway blocking the road. They asked him nicely one morning to move the van as the mother an elderly woman couldnt manage to get her car out. She was told to take driving lessons. He leaves it there when on holidays and all weekend.
    They dont let their kids play with my daughter who used to be their kids best friend before they were asked to move the van because I park my "half a car" (the wifes words) outside my own house not letting him park there:con
    fused: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

The girlfriends house is in a similar cul de sac area. Couple of weeks ago I noticed a dent on her car which she didn't know was there as it was on the passenger side. Obviously her neighbours across the road banged into it. I say obviously is was them because there was a few flecks of purple paint in the dent. The neighbours own a purple Polo.

She said she had thought it strange for a week because they ALWAYS drive straight into their drive but then for a week or so they started reversing in. In hindsight it was obviously to hide the mark on their car until they got it fixed.

Naturally I went mad but at the same time it's nothing to do with me. Any body know what action can be taken? I don't know if anything can be done as we don't know exactly when it was done and the neighbour has obviously got their car repaired since the incident. But the purple paint and the fact they have a purple car which would have reversed into her car is failry obvious but at the same is it just circumstantial?

Is she just stuck with the damage herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Can you get the first person back to your house, (i.e your parents/siblings/wife/kids?) to park on the road first, leaving the spaces on your property available to you?
    Or which ever car is used least often could be parked outside, after a few months they will develop a new habit of parking elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Legally, anyone can park outside your house (once they're not causing an obstruction to your driveway), but in the spirit of neighbourlyness, maybe a polite and friendly word might sort it out to your satisfaction.

A neighbour of my parents got the council to put a disabled parking space outside her house (complete with sign and road paint), so only she can park there. I'm not sure what her disability is supposed to be, she seems to have no problem taking her dog for long walks, but she's got a disabled sticker on her windscreen.

The driveways in our estate comfortably fit 4 cars (we only have 2). I looked out the window one day to see a strange car sitting in the driveway, blocking me in. Turns out one of our neighbours 'accidently' parked in our drive, even though his drive was empty, and then walked out of our garden and on into his house without noticing his mistake. I suspect he would have been a prime candidate for a random breath test. He's since moved.

One of my neighbours reversed into my car when it was parked outside on the road but they were nice:D enough to leave a note on the windscreen and then they paid for it to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I used to have all these problems when I lived in Dublin, but now that I live in Galway I have a house on a half acre with parking for fourteen cars in front of my house. You can all park there if you want, I only have six cars so theres plenty of room...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

We still have this problem, but theres a strange twist to it now... we are the oldest family on our estate. I have 2 cars (but dont live there anymore,so I have 1 car in driveway), bro has a car, as does dad, and sis. Then my 2 sisters boyfriends do be there often. So thats a lot of cars.
    Anyhow we have this neighbour, who used to park outside his house leaving his 2 car driveway clear, just to keep pressure on us for parking. We all used to say 'wait til his kids are 18, and get cars etc).... well that time has come... the mans kids have boyfriends, who have cars... and we are getting them back now.
    hahahahahahahahahahaha how we laugh... we always have a 'spare' car to put outside his house, and then he arrives home and has to use driveway, then the boyfriends arrive, and have to park around the corner... hehehehehehehe:D :D:D:D:D:D .. its so sweeet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I have friends who are plagued with non residents parking their cars outside and getting the bus or train into town. Occasionally people have left cars there for 1 to 2 weeks while they were on holiday etc.

Their solution is to out a wheelie bin in the space, as if you've put it out on the wrong day etc. Most people are too lazy to move it out of their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I lived near the IFSC, used to get a lot of people parking right outside the house, nothing I could do about it though, they have every right. However, my neighbours never parked outside my house and I never parked outside their house... until a couple from Cork moved in.

The white merc van story sounds terrible however. A real bully you have on your hands there. Can you get in touch with the residents group or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Get a place of your own maybe ?

Yeah Lightning he is just a fool but technically he can park it outside my house if he wants. He fell out with the people who we bought our house from too over the same thing and wouldnt let his kids play with their kids either. My little one is distraught over it but tbh we didnt do anything except park outside our own house.
    He blocks the path way around the road as the over hang of the van is so big does anyone know if that is an offence mmmmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I've bought the T-Shirt on this one guys ! Firstly I have to say that outside one house I have rented there is space for one car in the driveway and one one the road, there were 4 cars all belong to our house looking for space at one point !
    One neighbour, on the second day there, reversed straight into one of the cars and stated " There was never a car there before !! ".............as though blaming me for parking there..............I saw here angle and retorted " Really, well there was a 5 year old girl standing there 40 seconds ago, maybe you should take a glance occassionally ! " Anyway she paid up €500 there and then !

At the last house we lived in we had room for 2 cars in our driveway, as did everyone else. It was a cul de sac, then in the space of 1 month my neighbour on one side bought a classic, so he now had 3 cars with one on the road, the neighbour opposite got a dog and left BOTH cars on the road and the guy on the other side insisted on parking his taxi outside my house to allow his wife enough room to swing in !!

The whole place just went from feeling quite spacious to being very clogged, but there is nothing worse than arriving home from a long journey to find a taxi parked in your spot. Sure, strictly speaking there was nothing I could do so having "moved" it a few times and having borrowed a third car to park there all the time I decided to have a chat.

Couldn't have been easier ! I should have done it in the first place. I simply started off along the lines of
    " Hi, how's it goin', jeeeeeez parking is getting really tight around here isn't it ! I wonder if there is anything we could do between us to make it easier, an agreement sort of, where I park my car outside my own house and you park yours wherever you like, as long as its not in my way ! !! " ......said with a menacing smile !!

Never had any trouble after that !

BTW the laws for parking commercial vehicles do exists. You used not be able to park them on the street in a development at all, but these laws may have been relaxed since it appears to happen everywhere. I would check that angle though, in fact vyou used not be allowed drive a comm. on a Sunday at all !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

paint some yellow lines outside your house, or put your bins in the way and leave old raw chicken pieces on the handles, or fish. if possible plant a shrub where they usually park... this is war and they're winning.

Advertisement