Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damn Neighbours *Shakes Fist*

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

just do the same to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

MercMad wrote:
    Couldn't have been easier ! I should have done it in the first place. I simply started off along the lines of
    " Hi, how's it goin', jeeeeeez parking is getting really tight around here isn't it ! I wonder if there is anything we could do between us to make it easier, an agreement sort of, where I park my car outside my own house and you park yours wherever you like, as long as its not in my way ! !! " ......said with a menacing smile !!

I don't think this will work the the van driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

put your bins in the way and leave old raw chicken pieces on the handles, or fish.

Ha ha thats good might try that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

paint some yellow lines outside your house

Sure, because otherwise inconsiderate people always pay heed to yellow lines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I have the same problem. House 2 doors down have a massive white van (merc?) we live in a keyhold cul-de-sac if you know what I mean with houses at the rounded end and walls at the straight bit. White van man lives at the wall end.
    He insists on parking his van outside my house even though he would not be causing an obstruction if he parked it along the wall beside his house.
    The way the space outside my house is it cuts right into my garden so when I look out my living room window I can just see a big van its horrible.
    I have a big driveway but my husband is in a job where he sometimes is on call out and could be called out at any time of the day or night so on those days I park on the road so I dont have to get up to move my car or he doesnt and vice versa. If I do this white van driver parks his van right across his driveway and the next door neighbours driveway blocking the road. They asked him nicely one morning to move the van as the mother an elderly woman couldnt manage to get her car out. She was told to take driving lessons. He leaves it there when on holidays and all weekend.
    They dont let their kids play with my daughter who used to be their kids best friend before they were asked to move the van because I park my "half a car" (the wifes words) outside my own house not letting him park there:con
    fused:

I've got the same problem - bloody enormous van parked outside my window the whole time. Nice.

TBH you shouldn't let your children play with the children of people who drive vans for a living anyway, so everyone's a winner.
    BTW the laws for parking commercial vehicles do exists.

Must check on this

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

As long as you got a place close enough, i wouldn't worry about it.
    If your parking infront of someone else house causes a problem for them. then you got a real reson to bring the arguement up ith your neighbour. Explain to your neighbour that the Old Wagon down the road is giving out. Any chance we can reorganise the parking. Then you and your neighbour understand the problem and are a little more friendly agains the ould one down the road

magpie wrote:
    TBH you shouldn't let your children play with the children of people who drive vans for a living anyway, so everyone's a winner.

:D must say that to my 11 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ye magpie, thats class, if ever kids come and eclipse my cars Ill be tellin em that.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ay Cee wrote:
    The girlfriends house is in a similar cul de sac area. Couple of weeks ago I noticed a dent on her car which she didn't know was there as it was on the passenger side. Obviously her neighbours across the road banged into it. I say obviously is was them because there was a few flecks of purple paint in the dent. The neighbours own a purple Polo.

She said she had thought it strange for a week because they ALWAYS drive straight into their drive but then for a week or so they started reversing in. In hindsight it was obviously to hide the mark on their car until they got it fixed.

Naturally I went mad but at the same time it's nothing to do with me. Any body know what action can be taken? I don't know if anything can be done as we don't know exactly when it was done and the neighbour has obviously got their car repaired since the incident. But the purple paint and the fact they have a purple car which would have reversed into her car is failry obvious but at the same is it just circumstantial?

Is she just stuck with the damage herself?

It's worth checking the height of her bumper compared to the scratch and for any signs of new paintwork on her car.

gonker wrote:
    I have the same problem.... <snip>

He insists on parking his van outside my house even though he would not be causing an obstruction if he parked it along the wall beside his house.

It's already nasty, but if it gets any worse you should try and find out if it's a company van or his own. If it's a company van, it must be parked on the company premesis out of business hours, or else the driver will be liable for benefit in kind tax. It's nasty, but that should see the end of the van from the estate.

• Advertisement

Its a company van alright but I wouldnt do that thats really nasty. Sure he doesnt use it after work he just parks it outside my house:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

alias no.9 wrote:
    It's worth checking the height of her bumper compared to the scratch and for any signs of new paintwork on her car.

I would say almost impossible to prove unless you really have hard evidence such as a CCTV video of the 2 cars making contact.

I'm afraid it would be one neighbour's word against another.

Slightly off topic but we had a neighbour putting their rubbish into our bin early on the morning of collection for a time. Only noticed this when the bill came in as we have a "pay & weigh" colleciton system down here. Well we have a small CCTV camera in the front of our house for some time now because of another issue we had a one time (I will not bore you with the details). Went back through the video tape and caught the culprit. Took out their rubbish from my bin and left it on their door step one morning. Never had the same issue again.

Sorry for going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Why dont you invest a few quid in a clamp !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ay Cee wrote:
    The girlfriends house is in a similar cul de sac area. Couple of weeks ago I noticed a dent on her car which she didn't know was there as it was on the passenger side. Obviously her neighbours across the road banged into it. I say obviously is was them because there was a few flecks of purple paint in the dent. The neighbours own a purple Polo.

She said she had thought it strange for a week because they ALWAYS drive straight into their drive but then for a week or so they started reversing in. In hindsight it was obviously to hide the mark on their car until they got it fixed.

Naturally I went mad but at the same time it's nothing to do with me. Any body know what action can be taken? I don't know if anything can be done as we don't know exactly when it was done and the neighbour has obviously got their car repaired since the incident. But the purple paint and the fact they have a purple car which would have reversed into her car is failry obvious but at the same is it just circumstantial?

Is she just stuck with the damage herself?

Just get their insurance details off their windscreen and lodge a claim with their insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

sorry for not replying back chaps, anywho some mad replys here arson anyone?

anyways, last night when i was manouvering the cars into the one drive the ignorant b****x walked straight out of his house i thought ''maybe i had him wrong'' but no he walked straight by me and proceded to walk his dog!
    but today i got off early from fas and i was able to claim the spot before anybody go onto the road, if yer man parks in my spot again i'm going to have words or put a clamp on his car and tell him to call O' Brien Parking Solutions and a €80 fine and a big fat sticker on his car.

Thanks for your wierd and whacky replys

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

regarding commercial vehicles is there any way to find out what is / not allowed. I live in a cul de sac which gets 2 driving instructor cars parked in, plus 2 staff cars AND the owners car, a total of 5 bloody cars taking up a lot of the space outside. is there anything that can be done with the 2 commercial cars? (these are branded driving instructor vehicles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think any vehicle thats of a standard size can be banned.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Hey,

Three cars one house...

Why don't you sell one of the cars... and protect against global warming.

Every persons action makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Mam need her's for work 1.0 arosa goes on the smell of petrol. needs it for work in clontarf

Mams significant other 2.4 accord, can be going anywhere in the country at any given day.

Me 1.4 almera need it for work and to go to and from ballyfermot everyday, it works out cheaper than the bus 4 buses everyday 4x€1.55= €6.20 perday

€6.20
    €31 on bus fare per week

i put 30 in the car a week so i'm saving €1 and having the luxury of a car.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Volvoboy wrote:

i put 30 in the car a week so i'm saving €1 and having the luxury of a car.

Wow, you're lucky.
    I have to tax and insure mine as well as put petrol in it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It BeeMee wrote:
    Wow, you're lucky.
    I have to tax and insure mine as well as put petrol in it.....
    Yes, but you don't have to share it with 44 other knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathers which makes the expense worth it...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

:)

It's being able to actually travel sideways in the city that makes the expense worth it imo. Sideways, imagine. You can't do that with Dublin Bus now, you can travel in a "V", but not sideways ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Gonker crude as it sounds buy a car and park it there. Get a .8cc r wat ever so ya can keep it taxed cheaply... In college last year residents resented the fact of students having cars so they used actually block our driveway... our solution was to buy a project car an do it up durin the year. had to be taxed cause was in a public place but didnt really matter cause to pay for parking was as much as it. Had a damn nice car and a lot of ratty neighbours. Found out after that a bunch of gittery younglads moved into it for the summer and smashed up one of the cars who parked across the drive for it. Couldnt be prosecuted unfortunately because it happened while they were all fast asleep in bed lol :p
    Brute force always wins eh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MercMad wrote:
    in fact you used not be allowed drive a comm. on a Sunday
    MercMad - are you confusing the law with insurance policy stipulations. Some commercial policies used to state that the policy would only cover from Monday to Saturday.

gonker wrote:
    Its a company van alright but I wouldnt do that thats really nasty. Sure he doesnt use it after work he just parks it outside my house:D

If it's parked on the company premesis outside of his working hours, there's no benefit in kind liability. A quick call to the revenue should ensure it's parked safely at the company premesis and never bother you again. Parking vans in estates or cul de sac's is dangerous. It blocks the view of people trying to get in and out of their driveways and also can make it very difficult to see children playing, you said you have an 11 year old. Why should you put up with this crap.

An alternative, if you really want to be nice about it and build bridges and all that would be to suggest that you have no problem with them parking their car outside your house if it means he'll keep the van in his own drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

alias no.9 wrote:
    If it's parked on the company premesis outside of his working hours, there's no benefit in kind liability. A quick call to the revenue should ensure it's parked safely at the company premesis .

That's interesting to know. I presume small self-employed business people who don't have a 'premises' are entitled to park their vans outside their houses? (eg. tradesmen).

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

We've a similar situation here - I live in a cul-de-sac which means that there is limited parking, especially for people who live in the "ends" - 4 houses in a row but only enough space to park 2 cars.

A taxi driver lives in one of the end houses, and his car was always being damaged by kids on bikes, people being careless with driving etc. Because he works nights it was difficult for him to get any parking spot at all, so I offered him the use of my driveway (didn't have a car myself at the time).

I got a car last year and my neighbour told me I could park outside her house, leaving my drive free for the taxi driver and making parking easier for me while learning (my drive is very narrow with high pillars either side).

All was grand for a while. Then an elderly neighbour who lives at the back of the cul-de-sac died and his grandsons moved into the house to stay with their grandmother; fair enough. Then they moved their girlfriends in. Then their parents decided it was more convenient for them to stay 4 or 5 nights a week instead of returning to their home in Sallins. Each grandson has a car and one drives a huge white van as well (what is it with white van drivers; do you have to have a certificate of ignorance before you can get one?). Each girlfriend also has a car and one has 2 cars, one being driven each day and one just left there because it's not taxed. Each parent also has a car and the mother is a taxi driver so she leaves her mini-van taxi there too. One of them also has a motorbike. There is space in the drive for the big van and 2 cars or 4 of the smaller cars and the bike. Instead they park outside everybody else's house. They wait for somebody to move and one of them will move one of the cars into a space until the van driver comes home and then they swap. It's possible to park 2 cars outside most of the houses but they park in such a way that anybody else will block a drive if they try to park there.

Several neighbours have complained to the grandmother (the only real resident in the house, the rest just stay there and park their cars) who just shrugs and says that she doesn't want to upset them by suggesting they park elsewhere.

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Sadly, all this speculation on BIK is wide of the mark: From the Revenue BIK site
    Private use of Company Cars The notional pay to which PAYE and PRSI must be applied is determined by reference to the cash equivalent of the private use of the company car. The cash equivalent is determined by applying a percentage based on business mileage to the Original Market Value; (OMV) of the vehicle supplied (whether the vehicle is owned, acquired new or second-hand or leased by the employer).

Meaning of Car For the purposes of the PAYE and PRSI charges, a car means any mechanically propelled road vehicle designed, constructed or adapted for the carriage of the driver or the driver and one or more other persons, other than:

A motorcycle the weight of which is less than 410 kilograms, or
    A van, or
    A vehicle not commonly used as a private vehicle and unsuitable to be so used.

This includes cars within the ordinary meaning of the word, estate cars and crew cabs/jeeps (with side windows and seats to the rear of the drivers and front passenger seats).

Cars in Car-Pools There is no charge to tax in respect of a car which is in a car-pool.
    A car can be treated as being in a pool if:

The car is made available to and is actually used by more than one employee to the exclusion of the others, and
    Any private use of the car by any employees is merely incidental to business use, and
    It is not normally kept overnight at the home of any employees.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing etc.

If it's available for private use, it is liable to BIK, it seems however they changed the rules slightly in 2004 allowing vans to be kept at an employees home provided they're only used travelling to and from work, and spend at least 80% of their working hours away from the employers premesis.

http://www.revenue.ie/faqs/faq_bik.htm#car12

12. Are all vans exempt from the benefit in kind charge following the Ministers recent announcement?

No. Where all of the conditions outlined in the Minister for Finance's statement (as set out in the answer to the previous question) are not satisfied, the taxable benefit is 5% of the original market value (VAT / VRT inclusive) of the van less any amount made good by the employee directly to the employer.

the previous question...

http://www.revenue.ie/faqs/faq_bik.htm#car11

11. Where an employee who has the use of a company van goes directly to work from home in the morning and brings the van home every evening, will there be a taxable benefit?

Where a van is available for private use, a taxable benefit arises. However, such private use will not be taxable where the following conditions are met:
    (1) the van is supplied by the employer to the employee for the purposes of the employee's work,
    (2) the employee is required by the employer to bring the van home after work,
    (3) apart from travelling from work to home and back to work, other private use of the van by the employee is forbidden by the employer, and there is in fact no other private use,
    (4) in the course of his or her work, the employee spends at least 80% of his or her time away from the premises of the employer to which he or she is attached.

• Advertisement
Advertisement