Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne skatepark

Options
  • 04-09-2006 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

alright lads,
    Dunboyne skatepark opened on friday evening last . it's more modular crap from rhino ramps , however it's not too bad .......! It's big for a modular park ,and has a few interesting obstacles...!

I skated it this morning for the first time , and had the whole place to myself....... Thank god for school being back , it looked so busy on saturday and sunday.......!

Now it's modular **** at the end of the day , but i have to admit that parts of it are fun .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where in Dunboyne is it? Not like I can get there any hours the kiddies can't, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 expn

If you are coming in on the the main maynooth - dunboyne road , it's on your right hand side , just after dunboyne castle hotel , behind the playground.......! you can't miss it if you come in from this way.... It's visable from the road.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Any chance of a few picks? And whats the surface like?
    Also any chance of a small map?
    Im going to go on a driving tour one of these days and with all the new parks going up it be nice to have a map! Same applies to Bushy, any1 got one?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sanitarium

I'm going out there today so I will get some pics for you guys.

I just got back from the skatepark, and I am impressed. Me and my friends were the only ones in the park and the builders who were working on installing bins were very friendly. I got some pics for you guys:

017ch9.jpg
    018ab7.jpg
    019ee1.jpg

The only negative thing about it is, as soon as it started to drizzle, you were basically skating on ice. It was realllly slippy.
    I will be back soon. :D
    -San

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks okay for modular, but thats the point, ok for modular :P

Also looks like I need a new deck before I can go and make an idiot of myself so it'll have plenty of time to get destroyed by scummers before payday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Sanitarium wrote:
    I just got back from the skatepark, and I am impressed. Me and my friends were the only ones in the park and the builders who were working on installing bins were very friendly.
    -San
    Not sure about you guys, but the most important thing for me with skating any new park is not the design, flow, construction and orginality of the obstacles, but the friendliness of the blokes installing the bins. You idiot. That's a sh.it park - everything here is a good park - learn the differences. Parks looked like that in 1995 and have changed sh.itloads since, something which I doubt you're aware of. That's an outdoor version of Ramp N Rail/Ramp City/Cork/Newcastle/Radlands/etc., nothing new or innovative there whatsover. How much did that cost? E100k? Ripped off mate. They'll be burnt down for community BBQ on Hallowe'en.

I am just glad of something to skate. Why do people have to be so bitchy when it comes to something like this. We have been waiting a good while now to get something like this, and then when it is built you whine on about how it isn't good enough or isn't technical enough. It deffinatley wont be world class, but it is better than a curb and a couple of home made ramps. If you dont want to skate it, then dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Whats with the attitude? Dunboyne might be easier to get to than one in another country. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

But the real problem (apart from the distinct possibility that it'll become firewood) is that other councils will see this as a 'Skatepark'.
    Technically it is, but it could be so much better.

Ireland is in the excellent position that it could be full of GOOD parks
    - not just ok modular ones.

I know that the intentions are good & that it'll keep some of the local kids happy, but parks like that get very boring & as previously mentioned the design is far from original.
    This all comes down to people gettin involved at an early stage.
    Lucan (which will be open in a matter of days) was originally goin to be a modular piece of crap. Because enough people got involved, its now an excellent concrete structure.
    Bushy is another example of what can be done
    (although both of these cost more, it is money well spent)

Anyway, enjoy it while its there - if/when it burns maybe Meath council will think about doin somethin else

JohnBoy

• Advertisement

Cheers for the pics but the guys are right, the money could have been spent much more wisely, but hey we're dealing with councils who dont understand what a skaterink is!!!! :D:D:D:D
    F**king Suckers!! Rhino ramps are laughing all the way to their big bank account!!! Dumb councils! Will it ever change?

Sanitarium wrote:
    I am just glad of something to skate. Why do people have to be so bitchy when it comes to something like this. We have been waiting a good while now to get something like this, and then when it is built you whine on about how it isn't good enough or isn't technical enough. It deffinatley wont be world class, but it is better than a curb and a couple of home made ramps. If you dont want to skate it, then dont.

As you said yourself "as soon as it started to drizzle, you were basically skating on ice. It was realllly slippy." That's just dangerous and it doesn't happen with a concrete park. I "whine on" because the reason that parks like this go in is because of people like you who don't know their arse from the elbow and have decided that facilities like this are the dog's bollocks.

Parks like this one will never, ever get contests, visitors and foreigners coming to skate it, unlike Stoke, Marseilles, Livi or whatever - in short, it won't pay for itself and it'll need constant maintaince to fix the steel mats at the bottom when they inevitably start to peel upwards. If you're glad of something to skate, then get out into town more - there's a huge wealth of street spots all over Dublin once you go looking. Parks like Dunboyne get overrun by little gougers using it as a slide and their older knuckle dragging bretheren will claim it as their own for practising their skids on mini motos, then burn it down. Lucan is just down the road and that place will be far, far busier than this one. Fools and their money are easily parted...

Of course it is not going to get any foreigners and competitons to come, it is almost in the country. If this was in dublin now, it would be a different story, but it is just something small for the locals and maybe the surrounding towns. If it was in dublin, you would want to be attracting competitions to it, and make it nice and technical - but it isn't. A couple of years ago we only had 2 or 3 parks.
    I see where you are coming from and I partially agree with you, but I dont think that if they were going to build a really good park, I would want it to be in Dublin, not Dunboyne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

street spots in dublin city eh? i only skated it twice and i couldnt find anywhere good! any tips on some spots?

Sanitarium wrote:
    Of course it is not going to get any foreigners and competitons to come, it is almost in the country. If this was in dublin now, it would be a different story, but it is just something small for the locals and maybe the surrounding towns. If it was in dublin, you would want to be attracting competitions to it, and make it nice and technical - but it isn't. A couple of years ago we only had 2 or 3 parks.
    I see where you are coming from and I partially agree with you, but I dont think that if they were going to build a really good park, I would want it to be in Dublin, not Dunboyne.

Ever hear of "Build it and they will come"? A la Livingston? It's about 35 miles outside Edinburgh in a real ****hole of a "modern" planned town, but the park itself is world famous. Similar for Marseilles, which is a downright sketchy, shi.tty city if ever there was one. Don't for one minute think that any major contests will ever, ever happen at the likes of Dunboyne, purely because of the design it is. If the design for Bushy was there, it would get international attention - there's no reason why Bushy couldn't hold one of the legs of the Quiksilver Bowlriders contest.

And what's a "technical" park? Never heard of one. You seem to be confusing a proper, contemporary concrete design with a pick n mix catalogue from a playground company.

skate4evr wrote:
    street spots in dublin city eh? i only skated it twice and i couldnt find anywhere good! any tips on some spots?
    Take the 15 whatever bus into town. Get out at Portobello Bridge.

skate4evr wrote:

I havent skated Dublin city in years but my god man just open your eyes!!!!
    I see them all the time walking or driving round!! eveything is skateable!! LOL

And fisheye is damn right in what he said, a park like Dunboyne will never attract much interest. Im hoping to travel to Marseille next summer, for the fine wine, the food, the women ...NO!! the skatepark!!! Sad I know!! :)

And to everyone else: why shouldnt we have a Stoke plaza style skatepark? If the coucils around the country put all the money that they are going to invest in modular together, they could affords one!! Just one, thats all we need! Its like swimming pools!...Bear with me. We have many swimming pools in this country but i dont think that we have 1 olympic sized pool here!!! Correct me if im wrong but you get the point!

Once again its the councils who are the people who control YOUR/OUR money so get emailing your councils and your local politicians, most are monkeys and will jump on any bandwagon, they will listen to you. Post them links to threads here to show them the differences between modular and concrete!!!

I'm all for a bigger better park. Just don't see the point in slagging off the baby steps some local authority is making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

fisheye, I know how you feel on the matter but don't let your blood come boiling over into the forum by calling people idiots, cursing and just being downright rude and obnoxious to other forum users. Next time it happens I will remove your posting privileges for a week. Play nice please!

I'm all for a bigger better park. Just don't see the point in slagging off the baby steps some local authority is making.

Yeah but we dont need to take baby steps when we know we can already run!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭adiobam

Cool i might go there

TacT wrote:
    fisheye, I know how you feel on the matter but don't let your blood come boiling over into the forum by calling people idiots, cursing and just being downright rude and obnoxious to other forum users. Next time it happens I will remove your posting privileges for a week. Play nice please!
    Yaaaaaawn. You know I'm right.

Kenjd wrote:
    Yeah but we dont need to take baby steps when we know we can already run!!

What skate park did you build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

i think he was one of the builders in bushy, or maybe that was someone else

Nope, not bushy - it's some other bloke called Mark who worked on it. Rhino, GBH and their ilk are utter cowboys who don't care about skating in the slightest. Profit is their only motivation, not building proper landmark parks wherever possible. The thing is that Dunboyne and such parks will never, ever be seen as a proper success purely on account of what they are - modular pick n mix crap. You can plonk Marseilles's or Stoke's skateparks in Dunboyne and the people will come from far and wide.

one other thing - notice how every other skater/biker/blader is genuinely excited and looking forward to the opening of Bushy Park and Lucan, despite the indefensible 2 month wait on the TDs photo opportunity for a ribbon cutting ceremony? But there's not even a fraction of the same enthusiasm about this facility? Or the fact that the Bushy and Lucan got mentions in Kingpin and Sidewalk, but not even a whisper about Dunboyne, Portlaoise and the other pick n mix piles at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

prissick looks better than stoke, but thats only cos ive seen more footage from prissick, it only cost £500,000 which is about €742,000, why cant the government invest in something like that and just stick it on an easy train/ road route, not necessarely in dublin?

My point was that we know what works in terms of skateparks and what doesnt. Im sure we'd all agree on that!
    Take a look at the thread titled Skatepark Design Inspiration!!!!!
    16 years ive been waiting for a council park in this country so to see the lovely skaterinks going up everywhere is amazing!!!! DOH
    fisheye wrote:
    one other thing - notice how every other skater/biker/blader is genuinely excited and looking forward to the opening of Bushy Park and Lucan, despite the indefensible 2 month wait on the TDs photo opportunity for a ribbon cutting ceremony? But there's not even a fraction of the same enthusiasm about this facility? Or the fact that the Bushy and Lucan got mentions in Kingpin and Sidewalk, but not even a whisper about Dunboyne, Portlaoise and the other pick n mix piles at the moment?

Very well said fisheye! ...piles... hahahahaha

Take a look at the thread titled Skatepark Design Inspiration!!!!! Oh losing it now!!!

Kenjd wrote:
    My point was that we know what works in terms of skateparks and what doesnt...

Why was that not put to the people who sanctioned it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

fisheye you are one person who makes reading this forum painful, you sometimes have a point but the way to put it across is painful...

sorry but read this a lot and your attitude is very annoying..

• Advertisement

Why was that not put to the people who sanctioned it?

It probably was!!!! But these people who control the funds dont have a clue! for goods sake they cant get our health system up to stratch! I was in Monkstown about a month ago and the photos in the leisure center have changed!, gone are the photos of a nice 'crete park and in its place are photos of various modular ramps! Now if a bit of campaigning and moaning gets us another crete park bring it on!
    Modular is ok ONLY if you have nothing better to skate and anyway who would prefer this over 'crete??? :confused::confused:

Now Dun Laoghaire /Rathdown CoCo have €100,000 to play with..which is allocated for a skatepark AND THAT ALONE!!! Why are they doing this! Cos they dont have a clue!!! I'd love someone from the council to try and defend themselves in regard to this! But oh no that would be a human thing to do! And beleive me things aint quite the same down Town Hall way....MUHAHAHAH

Advertisement