Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gps Software for Palm PDA

• 04-09-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this does'nt make sense but i have bought from Ebay a PalmOne pda with viamichelin gps software on it. I thought it was an actual gps gadget. But the viamichelin software on it is crap, I wouldnt say it has 10% coverage of Ireland. What im looking for is somewhere on the net I can buy software which will run on this unit and has very good coverage of ireland. I have tried for days on the net, but no joy. Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

*BUMP* Anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tom Tom have a version that runs on PalmOne I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

paddy, did you get any joy with the TOM TOM version or did you give up on it ?
    I'm curious as I have access to a Palm Tungsten E2 with GPS that has Viamichelin maps of Europe. The Viamichelin maps that cover Ireland are not worth spending money on but maybe TOM TOM are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Talk about a blast from the past!! i never bothered doing anything since. Its still sitting here doing nothing, such a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

Well let’s keep it going…

My understanding of the whole island of Ireland map issue is that the Ordinance Survey of Northern Ireland and Ordinance Survey Ireland (26 counties) don’t get on with each other. So TomTom etc. will supply maps of Great Brittan (England, Scotland & Wales) but carefully avoid maps of the United Kingdom (i.e. they exclude Northern Ireland).

I have had a long look at GPS and maps for Palm and I now basically use two. TomTom (I use v5) has the best software, easy to use, the display is well laid-out, HOWEVER, the maps are of main roads only.
    ViaMichelin has street-level maps for most of the 5 main cities. I use v4.4. The display is OK, the Bluetooth connection is a little flakey but it gets you to a detailed address.
    So to travel from Cork to Dublin I use TomTom on the main roads and then switch to ViaMichelin to gt the individual street in Dublin.

The estimated time of arrival calculation on TomTom is freakishly accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

tks for the response guys
    Oneway, do you know if it is possible to upgrade your version of Tom Tom to the new V6.6 version of teleatlas maps which supposedly have almost 100% coverage of Ireland ? This would make it worth spending a few quid ....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sorry to drag this up again but is there any gps software for Palm Lifedrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

Mapopolis has excellent maps for Ireland,
    and if you have 3G or GPRS, you can use google earth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

niallb wrote:
    Mapopolis has excellent maps for Ireland,
    and if you have 3G or GPRS, you can use google earth.

The life drive doesnt have 3g or GPRS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Try checking for Destinator & Route 66. Both are well respected though you will have to check if they're compatible with that device. I'm running tests on Destinator on an XDA Orbit at the moment and it's fairly good. I will be looking into testing Route 66 if I can get a version with reasonably up to date maps.

Based on the versions I have I think Destinator(2006 maps) looks better but gets locked up every now and then. Route 66 was fine but I can't do much testing of it until I source a version with more up to date maps.

Have a look/post in the GPS forum for better responses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement