Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after idea

Options
  • 04-09-2006 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

Ok...I think I have, what could be a very good website idea. Question is, I don't really know what to do next.

Help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm a bit cynical about it all really... even if you have an amazing idea and nobody has done it already... what's to stop mega-company X coming along, taking the idea and doing it better, with millions poured into marketing and advertising their site and completely eclipsing you.
    So... eh... wish I knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

fade2black wrote:
    Ok...I think I have, what could be a very good website idea. Question is, I don't really know what to do next.
    Talk to someone who knows something about the Internet and you can trust about it and ask them for advice.
    what's to stop mega-company X coming along, taking the idea and doing it better, with millions poured into marketing and advertising their site and completely eclipsing you.
    It's often cheaper for them to buy out an existing site with an existing user base and develop it than starting again from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Talk to someone who knows something about the Internet and you can trust about it and ask them for advice.

It's often cheaper for them to buy out an existing site with an existing user base and develop it than starting again from scratch.

Ok...what to do. This would need some capital but the possibilities for it are vast. The only problem with it though is that for it to be done properly, well it would need some time, effort, skill, and money.

What would you need to do regarding setting up a prototype (for want of a better word)...and who could you bring it to?

fade2black wrote:
    Ok...what to do. This would need some capital but the possibilities for it are vast. The only problem with it though is that for it to be done properly, well it would need some time, effort, skill, and money.
    As I said, talk to someone who has experience and/or works in the Web business and discuss your idea first. It may be that your idea is not as good as you think or that it needs refining before it can work. They will also be able to give you and idea of what will be needed to make it happen.
    What would you need to do regarding setting up a prototype (for want of a better word)...and who could you bring it to?
    I’d suggest looking into a feasibility study grant first so you can answer those questions for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Personally i wouldn't take such a business orientated approach in setting up the website. I presume this is going to be a sideline and not a "all in" venture?

Get a taste for what you want to do early and take it from there. Make contacts in both the devlopment side and the business side of your plan.

Too tired to give advise....
    Adios

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Personally i wouldn't take such a business orientated approach in setting up the website.

I agree. Many of the most successful sites were spawned from a few hours work on and off each week. A labour of love rather than setting out with profit in mind.

I have an idea myself that I will attempt to work on over the coming months, but like anything, my 9 to 5:30 job is what brings the money on the table, so that gets priority.

I agree. Many of the most successful sites were spawned from a few hours work on and off each week. A labour of love rather than setting out with profit in mind.
    I agree, but that depends on the OP's skillset - if they can't develop for the Web, it's going to be far more difficult to make it a labour of love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Ah, yes I assumed that fade2black has those skills as he posted in here rather than under the Business category.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

First thing I'd do is buy the domain names.

when you get the domain for the site try to make it contain a keyword from the most obvious search term that you expect users to search for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

And also if you have a good name get the trademark for it.
    Will be a great help and you don't fall into that trap....

speaking from expierence louie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

more or less

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I'd advise talking to someone such as a business consultant and also an Internet consultant. You'll be able to ask questions, and form a basis for your idea and why you think it should work.

Basically, I come up with Internet business ideas all the time. I've got an investor (business angel) that I run them past and any that make it to the "i like it" stage... we go with and start to research. I was pipped at the post on one, the day I registered mybill.ie, comreg launched callcosts.ie. I was sick! I could of killed eddie hobbs who was doing the launch!!!! I've had a couple like that!

Anyway, I'm in the process of setting up 2 new website ventures with 2/3 more in the planning stage. If you want to meet and discuss the possibilities of your idea, I'd be glad to. If nothing else, I can try give you some good advice and post you in the right direction. I've no problem signing a confidentiality agreement, which is your first step before talking to anyone!!! :D

Rgds,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Well ask yourself these questions....

Programming: PHP, HTML or ASP
    Employment: Do you need a programmer?
    Cost: Will it cost you €80 or €80000

Interest: Will people like your product
    Industry: Is that business, idea got a stable economy, or will it flop in years time
    Advertising: Will you get it, and what companies will you expect to advertise in it

Profit: Will it make me money, or will I go bankrupt
    Legal: Will I have a company on my ass suing me cos' they say I slandered their company

If you answer these positevely, contact an internet consltancy firm, get together a budget, get a web host, employ whoever you need....and BINGO!

No matter what you do, Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Make sure you get a signed a NDA with any company you speak too, this is important so they dont steal your idea. before you get a chance to launch your project

Advertisement