Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend an great autobigraphy?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I want to read a good autobiography. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Goodbye To All That" by Robert Graves or "Growing Up In The Gorbals" by Ralph Glasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

The Wildest Dream: The Biography of George Mallory.

Possibly the first person to summit Everest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

John Peel's autobiography/biography. He only got halfway through before he died but his wife finished it off. A fascinating read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

- Winston Churchill's doctor, Lord Moran, wrote a book based upon his diaries during the second world war. I enjoyed it, lots of info, very readable:

http://www.amazon.com/Churchill-War-1940-1945/dp/0786710411

- Nelson Mandela "Long Walk to Freedom"

- Bill Clinton "My Life" .... I read this one for info's sake... glad I did... huge book though at approximately 1000 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

Dylans book Chronicles is a very entertaining read. full of groovy cats and crazy kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Dylans book Chronicles is a very entertaining read. full of groovy cats and crazy kids

I found Chronicles dire, kinda put me off him and his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It's more like half a biography, but very interesting and entertaining all the same: Surely You're Joking, Mr.Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Surely-Youre-Joking-Mr-Feynman-Adventures/dp/009917331X/sr=8-1/qid=1157460917/ref=pd_ka_1/202-6011620-1463858?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

Also Anthony Keidis's biography was better than I expected, but probably not brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Its not about the bike - Lance Armstong, his stories about his cancer battle are very inspiring..

Get Nelson Mandella, as someone mentioned above..

Also, An Evil Cradling by Brian Keenan and Some Other Rainbow by John McCarthy and Jill Morrell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I second Goodbye to All That. Really interesting book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugarman (The Doors' manager)

I read it as a teenager mind - so it may not translate so well for a more mature reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    Keane by Roy Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Nell by Nell McCafferty

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Have to agree about Dylan (very boring unless you know some of the obscure heads in it) and Kiedis (I want to be a rock star!!)

Terry Wogan's is good...no seriously it is.

Robbie Fowler from a sporting point of view is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Charlie Chaplins.

stipey wrote:

I read it as a teenager mind - so it may not translate so well for a more mature reader.

Yes! You have to read this book. Cannot believe I forgot it. Read it when I was 19 or 20, it made a big impression. This book wil make you get out there and live your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

I loved Peter Ustinov's Dear Me - he's very witty. However, I was only about 14 or 15 when I read it, and it was very accessible then, so it mightn't be the most satisfying read for somebody older. I really must re-read it to see what I think of it now, it's quite short so it'd definitely be worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Richard Pryor's
    Frank Skinner's
    Men Kempf is a real page turner too apparently...

fade2black wrote:
    Men Kempf is a real page turner too apparently...

Do you mean Hitlters "Mein Kampf"? One of the few books I never finished. Got bogged down in it about page 79.

Stings autobio "Broken Music" is alright.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

stipey wrote:

I assure you it's a cracking read for an adult too.

The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    It's a very long time since I read this but it still sticks in my head after all this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I've heard great things about the Autobigraphy of Malcolm X, I keep forgetting to pick that up. I just finished 'Always Unreliable', the memoirs of Clive James. They are excellently witty, and a great read. I'd strongly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

Mandela's Long Walk to Freedon and Maya Angelou's - think it's in three volumes which read like novels. Have to say I'm not the most avid reader of biographies

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

Head On by Julian Cope, Teardrop Explodes lead singer

I've taken the suggestions of a few of you on this thread. Some of the books above are in the post as I type.

Advertisement