Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Irish count when applying to England?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey,
    So I'm planning on applying to Oxford, obviously going to have to get mostly As but I'm wondering if they count an A1 in Irish as equal to other subjects? Anyone know? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

don't think they usually do, i applied to a college in Scotland and they wouldnt accept it, but english colleges can be more flexible than Irish ones regarding things like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

When I applied to England they didn't take it into account for matriculation same deal with French, I couldn't use the grades from those - English colleges all differ but a lot don't take it as far as I know, but write it down anyway. They may not include it but you're still studying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Quite a lot of them do, I remember of all the colleges I applied to (Cambridge, Glasgow, Brighton and Sussex Med School, Newcastle [those 4 for medicine], UCL [genetics] and Brighton [pharmacy]), only Newcastle, I think it was, didn't accept Irish. Look up the matriculation requirements for your course via the UCAS website, it'll show the LC requirements and usually states specifically if they accept Irish or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

i ahve applied and in most of them do actually count it in.

Advertisement