Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help... please!! if you have approx €700 to spend what woudl u do?!

• 04-09-2006 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi i'm sorry to rehash the whats the best laptop thing.....

I need to buy a laptop and am utterly confused... i really am not terribly computer savvy - just wondering what kind of machine you would recommend for this kind of price range .... could stretch it to about €800 if i had to....

Some IT knowledgeable friends have explained that you need to make sure you get a minimum of 512 mbs of RAM... any other things to watch for???

Starting back to college soon and use my computer for all the usual stuff... essays etc... i do a fair bit of research online and would really really like to have a laptop which is wireless enabled....

Lots of people say don't touch Dell with a barge pole... others say its the only way to go for the lower price range stuff...

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well if you only want it for basic stuff like internet, email and word processing then one of the Dell Inspirons will do fine (you can customize it a bit to get your wireless card in there). I would suggest upgrading the RAM yourself later on perhaps as it would be cheaper and also get a decent 2-3 year warranty with it to be sure nothing goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Agree with Ruu, i think a recent thread here deals with the inspiron 1300

Buy the basic configuration with a wireless card for €485 incl. VAT and shipping. Its gonna do all you need but it is VERY basic. If you desire, you can fiddle with the dell config utility to get a machine thats better and within budget.

RAM and hard drives can be bought cheaper afterwards from a 3rd party supplier (komplett, et al), dell make alot of cash on these upgrades so charge over the odds for them. If you cant install it yourself, google a few inspiron "step-by-step" guides with big colour photos (the best kind of guide) or find/make a friend who has the know-how.

EDIT: www.dell.ie/outlet, good if you can find a deal, but prices vary and are not consistent with specification. Also dont include VAT as listed, so go to checkout to get the total price. I saw an XPS M1210 last nite for 1000 euro excl.VAT and a lower spec for 1400 excl.VAT. Caveat Emptor.

Advertisement