Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my chances of getting a place?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 11:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I'm 23 and I am planning next year to apply through the CAO as a mature student to do arts in a Dublin university. I passed my leaving cert in 2002 but got very poor points. I was going through a rough patch at the time and found studying very hard. But even had I got enough points I don't think I would have been ready to go to college.

How difficult would it be for me to get a place? I know I will have have fill out a good application form, maybe do an interview and have an interest in the area, etc. But is having an interest enough?

I know someone who got into a degree course in psychology in Trinity but had to do a back to education plc first. Although he was good bit older than me and I'm not sure if he even did his LC.

What exactly do they look for in a mature applicant? How likely are they to want me do to this back to education plc first (which I'll do if I must)?

I'd be very grateful for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Read this first. You should get some valuable information from it. Don't be afraid to call as many colleges as you see fit and get as much from them as you can regarding the course you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm starting Arts in UCD next week.
    I'm 27 and I got accepted based on my application alone, there was no interview. I intended to take Arabic as part of the degree (but can't now, UCD don't have an Arabic lecturer anymore) and I had taken some Arabic classes and was going travelling in the region - all this went down on my application. I don't know how much that helped, if at all, as there wasn't any feedback.
    UCD reserve a lot of places in Arts for mature students so the prerequisites might not be as high as the other courses with limited numbers (e.g. the psychology course in Trinity you mentioned), IMO of course.
    What subjects are you planning on taking? Is there anything you can do for the time being related to those? It won't hurt your application having done a course etc. anyway.
    Take a look here for some info too. I'm being UCD specific as it was the only university I intended to apply to, so I can't help with the others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

I'm 24 now but was 23 when I applied. I'm in NUI Maynooth (not strictly Dublin) and I had to sit an exam first, and was then called for an interview. I got the feeling in the interview that they were ready to offer me the place there and then, so I would say that if you put in a good interview at any college and make sure that you let them see that you know a lot about the prospective course, then you'll be in with a good chance.

I had a Fetac award which worked in my favour, and I know that a lot of the other mature students in my class had to do a one-year "Back to learning" course. But I definitley think that if you go for interview and show a strong interest/knowledge of the course, you'll do well. And if they think that you're not ready they'll get you on a one-year foundation course. And as for the leaving cert, I done crap in my leaving cert because I had no cop-on back then, but during the application process, nobody seemed too concerned about it. So I think when they're dealing with adults, they're more concerned about the type of person you are. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I had my interview in May of last year. I had to fill in a form giving my education/qualifications/work experience to that point. I left the interview with a signed acceptance form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irishman4248

i will be starting as a mature student of architecture next week.My interview was in april.I was really prepared for it.I had done basic cad and another architectural classes last year.I am not really making a drastic career change as i have already worked in consrtuction for over 10 yrs anyway.Being older is of more benefit imo because you will be more focussed on what you have to do.

Being prepared is of vital importance with knowing all about the subject area you want to study.When going for the interview i had a suit on and also a portifolio even though it was not a requirment.I was the only man there with one on,i felt uncomfortable about it , but i got my place and maybe the others dident ??? Try and do some nightclasse s in your required area.It shows that you are prepared to put in the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi

Just to let you know I haven't even done my junior cert, but I'm now in my second year in UCD, I have always had the smarts, but lacked the self belief years ago. I was offered a place in UCD and Dun Laoighaire, I also got interviews with Trinity, and whilst one department wanted to accept my application, my essay for the English let me down.

Personally I did an access course for one year, but I did it for me in that I wanted to be able to see if I could hack learning and studying and when I realised I could, then I went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kayohore

I had my Junior Cert, but just barely. I'm starting Computer Science in TCD this year, on the back of my application and an interview.

The key was having an interest and ability in computing, and being able to communicate that to the interviewers. I would imagine the same would hold true no matter what course you want. Once you do a bit of homework on your chosen course, and show you want the place, any course is open to you.

Some courses do have specific requirements eg a certain standard of Maths- so you may have to try and do a Leaving Cert subject before gaining admission to some courses.

I actually got a few offers purely from my CAO application; not that my application was anyway impressive imo... I believe some colleges like mature applicants and have plenty of places set aside for us.

So to answer the OP and anyone else who might be reading this thread; go for it. At the end of the day if you really want it, you'll find a way.

Advertisement