Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning , but what course....

• 04-09-2006 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I had just done my first scuba dive in Ibiza two months ago and enjoyin that , on my recent trip to Cyprus I decided to do a PADI course , so I'm now qualified Scuba Diver level ,

I had all the intention of coming home here and continuing to do my open water course and possibly further ,

but just after looking through various posts , it's kinda put me off the PADI route ,

so what I want to know is , what is the best ?

whats the best way / course / standard that would be equivalent or even better than the PADI open water course ,

live quite close to Dun Laoghaire , so clubs in and around there are quite handy to get to ,

any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I did a dive out of dun laoirghe on sunday and it was teaming with dive boats. I counted 4/5 of them.

Talk to dalkey scuba divers, they are cft and are out you direction. Otherwise go to the cft home page (link in one of the stickies at the top of the forumn) and there will be a list of clubs in dublin south area. Also you can contact the regional diving officer for dub. south and ask him/her a few questions about clubs in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The CFT route would also introduce you to people who you can go diving with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 aidob

what routes are there actually ?

I know PADI and CFT ,

wat others ?

really thinkin about takin up diving seriously , since i gave up football an all , i need another sport / interest ,

want a route that is technical but fun , and is recognised round the world , and is not considered lower to the rest of the routes , and maybe , somethin that I could use commercially or professionally .

ha , all this after a trial dive , two teaching dives and 2 logged dives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Hi there, I wouldn't discount a training organisation just because of a few posts. Sure some people have bad experiences with every organisation (not just in diving), but how many people have good feedback that do not put posts in forums (fora?)? If you are based in South Dublin, have a chat to Irish Divers (www.irishdivers.ie), a non-CFT club. Some of the members are CFT trained, and some are not, a good mix. For more info, PM or e-mail me. There are some other Sports Diving training agencies (SDI, ITDA, SSA, BSAC etc), but they are not that common in this country. It doesn't take away from the quality of their training though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

hmmm, i emailed www.irishdivers.ie a few time over the last couple of months and nobody ever got back to me. even tried ringing and left messages but no response.

• Advertisement

thanks people for the advice ,

another question , reading through there on a few diving club sites , and with various clubs they have mixed associations and trainers ,

as the PADI and CFT are similar qualifications , is it possible to continue with the PADI open diver course , then through a club , and without havin to go over most of the same material (i know i'll hav to do some theory , but not do a full course ) , jus do my tests and CFT dive and become CFT qualified ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Crossing over From PADI to CFT is something that I have done, the following are the requirements (per CFT Website);

PADI Open Water Diver, Advanced Open Water & Advanced Open Water Plus
    These grades are equivalent to C.F.T. Trainee Diver or D * on completion of the mandatory lectures and practical water work as stated below
    :

Mandatory Lectures
    Open Water Scuba Skills

Introduction to Courses, Clubs & C.M.A.S
    Mask and mouthpiece clearing, retrieve dropped mouthpiece.

Hand Signals
    Methods of entry.

Hypothermia.
    Buoyancy adjustment. Maintaining depth at stop.

Dive Tables.
    Buddy and alternative air source breathing.

Practical Water Work.
    Signals and safety.

Towing and E.A.R.

Once the above prerequisites are met, the training has been carried out in accordance with C.F.T. Courses and Test Book and the appropriate fee paid the Diver can be awarded the Trainee Diver Cert.

right update to this ,

think I'll jus scrap the whole PADI route , got onto my local PADI club , Oceandivers in Dun Laoghaire ,been in contact twice, once in person , expalained I've done the scuba diver course and want to do the Open water course , section 3 starts tonight (just where the scuba diver course stops) and they said to me on Saturday they'd be in contact before today , but still no word .

so ,

CFT route it looks to be , anyone recommend a good club in the Dun Laoghaire vacinity that does CFT courses ,

I was lookin into Dalkey , they look good ?

would I hav to join , or can you do the course seperate ,

sorry people about all the questions , finding hard to get info at times .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Ring CFT at 01-2844601 and they can give you the contact nos. for clubs in the Dun Laoghaire area, Diving Officers etc.

Best way forward,

Seadeuce

Advertisement