Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

Options
  • 05-09-2006 12:23am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did a search but apparently this book has not been created as a thread previously.

Just started in yesterday, small book of approx 100 pages. On page 20 after many short tube journeys and have not gotten into the story yet. Apparently "A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali" which I read a few months ago is a modern day version of Heart of Darkness.

Anyone got an opinion on that? Basically, "A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali" is about how the Hutu's and Tutsis were butchering each other in Rwanda (i.e Hotel Rwanda - the film).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I've never heard of the new one, but I really enjoyed heart of darkness. The atmosphere the author conjures up when marlow enters the jungle is unparalled. Really had me by the teeth:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I thought Heart of Darkness was a load of tripe and extremely tedious to read. Having attempted a few Conrad books I really don't think he's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I thought Heart of Darkness was a load of tripe and extremely tedious to read
    Agreed. I thought it was utter rubbish tbh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Excellent, looks like I have something to look forward to so!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I have to disagree. I found Heart of Darkness to be a fascinating novel, although if you have the Penguin Popular Classics version, the synopssis on the back completely over-hypes the story (I'm not sure what book the summariser read, but it wasn't the same one as me :)). In any case, for me this novel is a fantastic example of characer development. I love how aspects of the character of the ivory dealer Kurtz are ascertained in dribs and drabs as the narrative progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I finished Heart of Darkness a few days ago, it dissapointed me. I struggled through it forcing the pages into my eyes.

Eventually I got to about page 75, the beginning of section 3 and had to leave the book down to look on google for an explanation of the story so far as I had taken little in.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/heart/

This site above saved me. I read through the notes which brought me up to speed and then I finished the book normally, once more reading the notes to make sure I "got it".

I admit that the notes explained the book well, and I liked the book from the notes but definetly did not enjoy reading it. As someone mentioned above, "tedious" is the word to sum it up.

10/10 for ideas in the book, 0/10 for enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I think Heart of Darkness is the type of book that you love or hate, personally I hated it, but I had to study it last year as part of English, what I hated was the over use of adjectives, it is slippery and the covert racism. For me it was a fence sitting book, Marlow was condeming the Belgians for their brutality but at the same time was a racist himself, but I think its elusiveness is its appeal. I had to read it a second time and enjoyed it a bit better espicially after some background reading, but I would never class it as a pleasurable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I enjoyed Heart of Darknesss so much that I assumed everyone else did! As soon as I read the description of the mouth of the thames just before marlow recounts his tale, I was gripped. I really enjoyed the (as above) slowly emerging picture of Kurtz as the boat travelled further into the jungle.

I don't have the book handy but my favourite quote was when Marlow was getting very close to Kurtz and he described the atmosphere in jungle like "some great human passion let loose".

I'm surprised so many people didn't like it but to each his own:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I enjoyed it too although it may be too dismal for some! His short stories are similarly bleak - Falk springs to mind especially. (Free online here: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/493)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

I think Heart Of Darkness is a great book, Conrad recreates the claustropobic atmosphere of the jungle brilliantly! I can't believe some people don't like the book!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

I read that book after hearing that Apocolypse Now was loosely based on it. I thought it was very atmospheric, with the character of Kurtz (Klein?) built up to almost superhuman status by the others in the company. We only meet him in his decline.

Advertisement