Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.A.O. BT Ireland customers who use a NSP

• 05-09-2006 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone else who uses an NSP (I use Easynews) that has a BT Ireland BB account has noticed any drop in speed when using their NSP?
    I used to max out my connection a couple of months ago, not now though.
    I am getting good speed on all other sites around 280-300K/s, but when I log on to Easynews it drops down to 17-20K/s. :mad:
    Easynews have suggested that I contact BT Ireland and ask them why I'm getting slow speeds from the Easynews domain. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable asking them why.
    Has anyone ever asked their ISP why they get slow speeds form an NSP?
    What was the outcome?

Looking forward to your replies,

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

I was getting the same thing from the nntp server a few months ago even though downloading from the Astranews nntp server was fast as always. Seems to be relativley back to normal now though.

Although what I do now is use the web front end and zipmanager in conjunction with a download manager. I usually get about 320k down using this method.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

I had a similar problem with easynews speeds a few months ago, but the speed never dropped to as low as you are getting now. What fixed it for me was using free download manager, http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/. I find this an excellent program. Also easynews use a route selector, which they say allows you to change the route downloads are sent to you. From the list they give you I found the best one for me was the last one, GIGE-1-QWEST.NET. Like Kmurph, I also started using the web-based interface, which is great once you get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Hi,

I have been with Easynews for six months now and have always used the Web based utility, Zip manager and a download manager.
    I try using different backbones, but the all seem to be the same. Even with ten connections I rarely manage to get more than 100K/s.
    I have noticed the last couple of days, that if I'm surfing while connected to Easynews, the speed improves. :confused:
    My MTU is set on 1500, but I recall reading somewhere recently that if it cable it should be 1500, but for DSL it should be something like 1462.
    Think I'll run TCPoptimizer again and see what happens.

Right, I ran TCPoptimizer again and set it for 1492 PPPoE. Then checked speed, no change.
    Thought I would see if going through a proxy server would make any difference (anything better than the speed I was getting). Connection seemed too slow. Reverted back to original settings and at the moment (touch wood) I'm getting 316K/s :)

Not sure why, maybe I have inadvertently confused my ISP. :confused:

So good so far anyway.

Could some one check BT Ireland BB usage check and tell me if they get the same error please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

working fine for me.

Advertisement