Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleep Apnea

• 05-09-2006 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

A relation of mine has been diagnosed with sleep apnea (see http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/apnea.html )

Just wondering if anyone in Ireland has experienced this themselves, how they coped with it etc.

I'm not looking for medical advice, that's sorted.

I just want to know if many people are affected by it and what worked for them.

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

my brother had it. I think he ended up getting his tonsils out to help him. I'm not sure what the success rate is, but he seemed to think it helped...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not sure if you know about it, but there is a sleeping & dreaming forum on boards under Rec. Lots of people with interests in sleep related topics visit it. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Yeah My dad has it. He used to snore a lot and it got progressively worse over the years. He was feeling very tired all the time and went to the doctor about it. As far as I can remember he spent a couple of nights in a clinic in dublin under observation and in the end they diagnosed sleep apnea. Now he sleeps with a Cpap breathing circuit and a humidifier circuit. Its has a mask you place over your face and keeps the pressure in the mask at a high level so that you get a sufficient amount of oxygen when asleep. He says the mask takes a while to get used to but its not too bad, and he feels a million times better now, less tired etc. He actually went on holiday last week and didnt bring it with him, when he came home he said he was wrecked tired!!!!
    As far as I know once its looked after sleep apnea is very manageable!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was diagnosed with OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea) earlier in the year, which is now under control with a CPAP machine.

My life has changed 1000 times for the better. I have more energy nearly all the time, don't fall asleep on the couch, cinema, potentially while driving (that is what scared me into doing something about it), I look a few years younger already, bags gone from under the eyes, 1/2 a stone lighter and the sex life is far better.

The mask does take a little getting used to, but the first time you spend a night or two without it you will never deliberatly leave it behind again, you remember what it was like before the CPAP.

It takes a week or two to really feel the benifet from using the CPAP, but have a look at the following websites for more info and the american one has great support forums, especially for newbies.

Irish Sleep Apnea Trust
    www.isat.ie

The American Sleep Apnea Trust
    www.sleepapnea.org

Advertisement