Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting problem

Options
  • 05-09-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of trying to get the house (internally) ready for painting. The problem I'm having is that some of the paint in the hall is peeling off the skim (looks like the previous owners just painted without any consideration for sealing/priming).

I'm wondering what can I do? To try and strip all the paint would be a big task given the length of time it took last night to deal with a couple of patches and I don't really want to given that the rest of it seems ok.

If I was to use a sealer on those patches how would I level the paint??? I imagine that if I just put on a sealer and then paint over it that those patches will be visible for ever more??? Anyone got any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Id remove the loose stuff that is peeling/flaking off.
    Then prime underneath with dilute pva or something.
    Them fill in the patches with some paint and leave to try, basically you are trying to build up the paint levels, you dont need to be exact, just dab it on and give it a few coats.
    Then sand if needed and paint over everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

You mentioned polybond on the bare surface as a primer. Is this a good idea, would emulsion paint stick to that finish ok. This was mentioned to me yesterday as a way of dealing with chalky finish on walls in French houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

hargo wrote:
    You mentioned polybond on the bare surface as a primer. Is this a good idea, would emulsion paint stick to that finish ok. This was mentioned to me yesterday as a way of dealing with chalky finish on walls in French houses.
    Well there is a debate over its use on walls like this
    Some say that it actually causes pealing as the paint stickts to the pva and not the wall.
    Personally I find that if you dilute ir properly it will soak into the plasterboard and you wont have a problem.
    Naturally if you paste glue all over your wall you will create problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

The plasterer I had in over the weekend used pva where he was going to be putting skim over paint (blending into existing wall).

He also said it could be used prior to painting over existing paint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

GreeBo wrote:
    Id remove the loose stuff that is peeling/flaking off.
    Then prime underneath with dilute pva or something.
    Them fill in the patches with some paint and leave to try, basically you are trying to build up the paint levels, you dont need to be exact, just dab it on and give it a few coats.
    Then sand if needed and paint over everything?

So using paint is the best way to build it up again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement