Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting woodland in Monaghan

Options
  • 05-09-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Is anyone interested in obtaining protection of a wooded area within an area zoned "low density housing" in the Monaghan County Council Draft Development Plan 2006-2012?

The area concerned is Gallanagh Wood located within the townlands of Gallanagh and Mullaghdun, Monaghan, covers a significant area and contains many broadleaf trees of varying maturity.It is shown on original Ordnance Survey sheets but is not depicted in the Monaghan Town Zoning Map and no reference made to it.

The land it is within has been sold to a developer recently for a high price so I fear they will just cut down all of the trees to cram as many houses on as possible.

I've been in touch with the Heritage service, An Taisce, Crann and the National Parks and Wildlife service. An Taisce suggested I form an informal group and then approach a local councillor to attempt to get the development plan ammended.

Is anyone interested in this? If so, please post here or send a PM.

PS Does anyone know of a Monaghan County/Town councillor who has a GENUINE interest in the environment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Im interested to the point that I wouldnt like to see the trees being cut down. Woodlands are scarce enough surely without knockingthem for more crap housing estates. Susnout a local councilor, what use these councilors are i dont know.

Advertisement