Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving conifers/evergreens

Options
  • 05-09-2006 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at digging up a few conifers and transplanting them elsewhere. I am not sure if it will work or if they will just die.

They are currently about 10 years old and about 5-6ft high.

Does anyone know anything about this or have any advice.

What time of year should I try and move them?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

don't touch them until after the first frosts around end of nov to feb (they will die before for sure:eek: ). Dig around the plant far enough away and deep enough so root damage is limited (alot of digging as they are fairly mature) The bigger they are the wider the spread of the root system. place them in a planting hole which is a bit deeper and wider as where they were removed from. Water if dry, not if its frosty, firm them in well with your boots and adding a wind support may be wise until they settle. Hopefully, they should survive the ordeal...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

For a transplanted tree it takes 6-8 weeks for the roots to establish
    My take on timing the moving of a tree was to do it either 6 weeks before first frost or after last frost, March/April, to avoid roots been damaged by frost.

Advertisement