Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC freezes/closes down

• 05-09-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I recently installed Windows XP Professional on top of the Home version. This was my first mistake I now know. As a result I got lots of hardware conflicts and other glitches. I have since done a clean reinstall using the xp home disc but my machine still freezes and turns off without warning. I have tried installing and reinstallng the drivers, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Did you try formating the disk before installing XP?
    Why not install XP Pro from fresh, with the option to delete the disk partitions and format the drive first?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Thanks. I've done that but its still freezing and closing down :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

If you've completely formatted your hard drive and reinstalled XP then it sounds like it's a fault with your version of XP pro...

Have you tried formatting again and installing XP Home again?

p.s. try doing a normal format as apposed to a quick one...

I did a normal format using the XP home disc. This involved removing a partition, creating it again and a slow format of the drive. Still got the problems. I think this may be a driver thing that I'm not grasping or could it be a power supply issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭techie

Sounds hardware to me rather than software issues? Is your pc overheating??? Check all the fans?

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll do that, but it's odd that there were no problems prior to my installing xp pro on over the home edition.

I seem to have solved this problem by disabling NVIDA Nforce2 Memory Controller in System Devices - Device Manager. Could this cause any problems? There were four entries for the Memory Controller - all the same - which doesn't seem right either. But, it's been working for hours now and it would turn itself off or freeze with as little as ten minutes work done, so I'm happy.

Advertisement