Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willl Fianna Fáil - Fail?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Of course they will lose seats. The only they could poll the same is with blatent gerrymandering. But don't worry, all of your favourite FF ministers will return with their new best friends, Labour! With or without Rabbitte.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I doubt very much Labour will go into Government with FF ever again, they all remember the severe kicking they got from the electorate last time they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I agree I can't see Labour joining FF, I reckon FG, Labour and the Greens will get enough seats to take power from FF-PD's

gurramok wrote:
    To answer your question, i think they will fail for a very longggg time.

I believe FF could be in trouble in the next election alright, but if history teaches us one thing it's that this generation of voters, and indeed the last, do not re-elect non FF governments. If they will be out, it will be for no more than one term. Think they may take their beating this time round in the knowledge that they invariably do much better going into an election as opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

history teaches us one thing it's that this generation of voters, and indeed the last, do not re-elect non FF governments. Think they may take their beating this time round in the knowledge that they invariably do much better going into an election as opposition.

Oh no - Not more of that stuff about how power is FF's birthright and its opponents only borrow the reins of govt. from FF!
    For what speculation is worth, I think FF will get a well-deserved absolute pasting in Dublin. Beyond that???
    I'll be quite interested to see how Bertie does in D. Central, how much his massive over-quota 1st pref. vote gets eroded.

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote:
    Oh no - Not more of that stuff about how power is FF's birthright and its opponents only borrow the reins of govt. from FF!

No no, not at all, just that they seem to do well in elections following a FG Government, 57, 77, 87 and 97...or in elections when the year ends in a '7' come to think of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No no, not at all, just that they seem to do well in elections following a FG Government, 57, 77, 87 and 97...or in elections when the year ends in a '7' come to think of it...

2007 will be a BIG exception to that little anecdote so:D

We'll wait and see. FF look likely gain a seat in this constituency anyway (Sth Kerry) as the Labour TD is not running and the Healy Rae factor is waning. So expect a few years of reduced funding for various projects here.

We'll wait and see. FF look likely gain a seat in this constituency anyway (Sth Kerry) as the Labour TD is not running and the Healy Rae factor is waning. So expect a few years of reduced funding for various projects here.

Personally I can hardly wait to see. Hmm, wow gaining one seat in a 3-seater ain't exactly going to change the outcome of the election now is it?
    FF/PD are on the wane too, get over it.

People are sick and tired of this endless FF drivel about how great over-property dependent economy is while people lie in trolleys in A+E, and our road,rail and infrastructure creeks at the seems, while they 'run' the country.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:

Nice one:D

The guy that made the site was on the Last Word yesteday evening, he owned a hackney company and Taxi plate previously, he now lives in Gran Canaria.

mfitzy wrote:
    People are sick and tired of this endless FF drivel about how great over-property dependent economy is while people lie in trolleys in A+E, and our road,rail and infrastructure creeks at the seems, while they 'run' the country.

Hmmmm. Not so sure. Let's wait for the election just to see how the 'People' actually feel. A few cranks on the Joe Duffy show giving out about a leak in the Port Tunnal and that small economist from Cork who wants us to stick our money in Cap Verde developments and boasts about how much he earns at RTE (while at the same time bemoaning the economy!) do not constitute the 'People'. The voters at election time, on the other hand...

Hmmmm. Not so sure. Let's wait for the election just to see how the 'People' actually feel. A few cranks on the Joe Duffy show giving out about a leak in the Port Tunnal and that small economist from Cork who wants us to stick our money in Cap Verde developments and boasts about how much he earns at RTE (while at the same time bemoaning the economy!) do not constitute the 'People'. The voters at election time, on the other hand...

...oh yes the same 'people' who failed to show up at Haughey's funeral.
    Indeed the people will decide, not the sheep like (who obviously support FF)
    you who wouldn't dare critise the government probably for fear that Kerry will loose it's ministerial rep after the next election and the gravy train for sports facilities in the county will come to an abrupt halt.
    Perhaps these 'few cranks' on Joe Duffy and Mr. Hobbs might have actually struck a chord with the 'people' and they now realise we could do much better as country.Perish the thought...

mfitzy wrote:
    ...oh yes the same 'people' who failed to show up at Haughey's funeral.

Trying to see the relevance of funeral attendances to FF's vote at the next election. Failing...
    mfitzy wrote:
    not the sheep like (who obviously support FF)

Yeah, cos it's not like FG have pretty much been stalled at 20-25% of the vote, suggesting that they don't change, or Labour at 15-20%, suggesting again their vote remains pretty much the same too. No no, these parties attract new and dynamic voters election after election...:D
    mfitzy wrote:
    the gravy train for sports facilities in the county will come to an abrupt halt.

If you know Kerry, mind, one could point out that Dick Spring's legacy in North Kerry was the vastly overbudget Jeannie Johnston coffin ship restoration, tilting at windmills in Blennerville and steam trains running to nowhere. No wonder his own constituents turfed him out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

If the election goes the way the local and european elections did last time then it looks like FG and Labour wil lget in with the support of the greens. I just hope Gay Mitchel keeps his gob closed on the topic of the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Only way FF can win the next election is by timing it to come just after the SSIA release, a reckless giveaway budget this year, and blatant gerrymandering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

Trying to see the relevance of funeral attendances to FF's vote at the next election. Failing...

possibly cause it was a big FF affair, they set up all they mobile screens in parks and fenced of miles of road......and no one came

conor74 wrote:
    If you know Kerry, mind, one could point out that Dick Spring's legacy in North Kerry was the vastly overbudget Jeannie Johnston coffin ship restoration, tilting at windmills in Blennerville and steam trains running to nowhere. No wonder his own constituents turfed him out...

too true! but they didnt replace him with a FFer, shades of things to come in kerry south prehaps?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have to say, I think whoever manage to turf out Fianna Fail will have no length of a stay anyhow as they'll be left with the fallout of the last few years of mismanagement. What government could survive a property crash, an economic recession, worsening healthcare, decreasing tax revenues, increasing unemployment etc? I'm not saying they'll all definitely happen but they are all increasingly likely at the moment.

Sleepy wrote:
    What government could survive a property crash, an economic recession, worsening healthcare, decreasing tax revenues, increasing unemployment etc?

Huh?

As it stands, they'll be left with a fortune to correct any alleged problems. They cannot hide behind some allegation that the previous government overspent, so they will continue it!! You're post consists of 'the sky may fall in, but let's not blame the government of the day'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No Conor but we can blame the government who were supposed to use the time of plenty to make sure we are prepared for the lean times, something that this mob have failed dismaily to do.

The Civil Service is more bloated and fragmented than before, our roads are still years behind where they should be, public transport is effected because the two government parties are at each other throats over policy (or lack of!). And then of course the big one, the Health Service.

gandalf wrote:
    our roads are still years behind where they should be

Dunno where you live, but can confirm that the difference between the roads in Kerry/Cork at the end of the Rainbow Government and today is simply incredible. Don't remember a very good health or transport system then either come to think of it. If the next Government have problems, I'll simply point to their record 1982-87 and say to everyone 'I told you so'...

Huh?

As it stands, they'll be left with a fortune to correct any alleged problems. They cannot hide behind some allegation that the previous government overspent, so they will continue it!! You're post consists of 'the sky may fall in, but let's not blame the government of the day'...

If the disaster were the result of the last govt.'s policies then the incomers are not to blame. They'll be judged on how well they cope - which probably won't be too well at all, this being Ireland. Hence - cheerio come election time again! Maybe hello to a FF/SF govt if SF are still swearing off the dodgy dealings and violence at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

SeanW wrote:
    Only way FF can win the next election is by timing it to come just after the SSIA release, a reckless giveaway budget this year, and blatant gerrymandering.

What other government can match the employment record of this government?

FG & Labour have yet to come up with any costed economic policies.

Where do they stand on taxation even?

It is like the Emperors New Clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Cork wrote:

If their previous levels of consistency are anything to go by, most likely polar opposites.

Cork wrote:

That's right. Irish political parties always come up with rafts of detalied costed policies for their manifesto a year before the election and then proceed to implement them all quickly and efficiently when they get into govt!

Or maybe they come up with vague aspirations that sound good and will fit on a pocket sized leaflet + then chuck these right in the bin when they get a sniff of power.

I can't remember which is reality? Help me out here. Which pill should I take?

jesus could come back , join FF and lead the party and FF will still lose seats. theyve had 10 years, thats a prison sentance for murder. if they havent sorted out the country by now they never will. hell some people arent gonna vote for em simply on the grounds that 10 years of the same guy isnt healthy for democracy. even the yanks turf em out after 8

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sgt Pepper

I know this may sound as if i'm pointing the finger at RTE unfairly here, but i do wish they'd find a few broadcast journalists with teeth sharp enough to cut through the bull****e offered up on a daily basis by FF ministers & Co.
    How many more times do we have to listen to Bertie mumble and fumble his way through {supposedly} extended/multi issue interviews by stating...'' think of the economy, think of the economy''. I believe RTE do us a great disservice because they're overloaded with mundane, spineless, old stock interviewers who very rarely ask hard hitting questions. A good team of broadcat journalists capable of going for the jugular woulda torn FF to pieces, and ousted them years ago on many, many issues/failed promises.

The six one news team presenters seem to be more concerned with making themselves look good, and i find them utterly unconvincing. This is prime time viewing, and politicians get courted rather than quizzed in my view. I don't know who decides the running order of the news stories in RTE news, but they really do leave much to be desired. The latest newsdesk set/backdrop looks like something out of a dodgy 1960's remake of star trek...Brian Dobson being William Shatner...i keep waiting for Dobson to say ''beam me up Scotty"...i wish Scotty would indulge him. I digress. If Vincent Browne was the main six one news interviewer for example, or someone of that caliber, we'd have a different government in power by now.

I used torespect John Bowman as a political interviewer for example - in my late teens i thought he was great. I'm in my late 20's now, and he just doesn't cut it with me anymore. Too soft for this climate. Miriam O' Callaghan is appalling, Ann Doyle...good god...Siobhain whatshername?...too busy trying to look cool. Maybe Newstalk can add a little new blood to counteract the free ride the politicans get with RTE and the servile media. All broadcast journalists should have the ability to go for the jugular...we'd be a damn sight better off as a nation if they could.

they wont. quite simply because if any journalist actually pushed a politician the individual involved would find themselves in the cold with no stories comming there way. why do you think all the crime correspondants have been so quiet over the gardai corruption thrown up in the tribunals?

look at it this way, george hook was apparently responsible for some slight againts mary harney. something so trivial i cant even remember it. she hasnt been on georges show on newstalk for over a year and has let it been known she wont go on it ever again. this is what your up againts

personally i think the TV set should just grow a pair of balls. if a poltician refuses to come on the show they should just put a big cut out of him in the chair with the word ballon saying "i couldnt bother me arse to come and answer questions" and continues to refer to it when questioning other guests who did come on. if they did that the person involved would be shamed into appearing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

I agree, the press is complicit in the Governments/Politicians conduct. We have Mary Harney being let get away with a comment like "It was an information deficit" and Bertie (Bowl) being let off with not being able to spell Government of course who would blame them, you see in this country our journalists don't have the right to free speech and if they say or ask the questions the listeners want to hear, they might not get much more work.

Advertisement