Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metro?

• 05-09-2006 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

hi i just found out you can get metro in my area (carlow) i was wondering if its any good? i was thinking of getting the 5mb down 1mb up line as 4 people will be playing games on it, i'd appreciate someone who has it to say if its good for games, cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'm using it for playing games in dublin on the 3mb/512k service and i find latency is great on it. I average around 30 -40 ms on irish and uk servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

I have them here in Galway and I've only just got installed and had a little go so far but gaming is perfect as are download speeds and more importantly their support service actually works! The only thing I'd say to watch for is if you have satelite TV, then just ask them to install the radio device away from the dish so it does not interfere with the TV. Only has to be a few feet away and it should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

And what are they like with installation? As in how long did it take for them to set it up after you ordered it? And do the guys do a decent job of rigging it up and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Crave

does any1 have metro and have more than one user playing games on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes.
    3 folks here playing guildwars and Skype to group of five (two other players in group on two other houses. coincidently also with Metro).

Also PS2 in router/NAT DMZ at same time as PCs.

Up to 4 laptops, 3 PCs and one PS2 and server at once.

You need a good NAT/Router well configured. Dlink, Linksys, Netgear etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Deadly. I've got myself a Linksys in advanced. I'm gonna go with it me thinks, because I couldn't be bothered paying line rental for DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have Metro, 3 meg down, 256 up (I think- 35 euro package) in the Galway city area for the past three months or so. The phone service is fantastic as are the BB speeds. Dont do any online gaming but the link is shared amoung about 4 machines, mostly used for browsing the web-I have an internak wireless LAN which it's connected up to. Ping times to Irish sites in general between 25 and 35ms. Havent had any problems yet. I ordered it on the Friday, it was installed, up and running the following week. Would recommend it based on my personal experience thus far.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

cheers guys, ordered it

Advertisement