Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNN to replay 911 coverage

Options
  • 05-09-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

OK...maybe this doesn't deserve a thread all of its own...I'll accept a wrist-slapping if thats the case.

Anyway...

http://www.lostremote.com/2006/08/25/cnn-pipeline-to-replay-911-coverage/

On the 5th anniversary of the 911 attacks, CNN will replay its entire coverage of 2001, time-synched, starting from 8:30am (ET) just minutes before the first plane struck.

From what I've seen, the service will be free (pipeline is usually a subscription model).

For anyone still interested in events of the day, the coverage should serve as a timely reminder of what was and was not known on the day in question, what levels of confusion or uncertainty were present etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Hopefully they will play the tapes of firefighters and other people saying they heard explosions before and after the planes crashed. Or maybe I'm aiming to high?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So Glad wrote:
    Hopefully they will play the tapes of firefighters and other people saying they heard explosions before and after the planes crashed.
    IF they did so 5 years ago, then you can expect them to do so again.

I was on holidays in my better half's aunt's place in Spain on 11/9/2001 and as a result I ended up watching a fair bit of CNN's coverage (on satellite).

One thing you can expect is a huge amount of confusion as to what happened.
    Or maybe I'm aiming to high?

That depends.

Objectively you would expect you to hear a large number of differing reports regarding what happened, but with a general consensus on many of the main details.

So it would be completely normal to have 9 out of 10 people report that they saw a plane smack the first tower, of which maybe 3 or 4 will claim it to have been too small to have been a commercial jet. Perhaps one will say it was a military jet.

The tenth person will tell you something completely different - no plane, a bomb, a missile, who knows.

Expecting the tenth person to exist is not aiming too high. Believing that because they exist, there is some truth behind they believe they saw....different story.

It doesn't matter what part of the events of the day you choose...the same will be true. Eyewitness reports will differ. It is not only expected, it would be notable only by its absence.

jv

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Has anyone managed to get the stream going. I have the pipeline working, however there is no working link to Ppe 4 which is the channel the realtime coverage will be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

In work :( Won't get to check it out till later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I'm currently in Boston and watching it at work. Its really strange to be watching news from 5 years ago with no reference to a world with War, Iraq, Binladen or just "post September 11th" which is something you here everyday on the news since then.

Kinda wired!

Sometimes such streaming videos aren't available outside the US. It was the same with the world cup streaming on ESPN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

It kinda sux anyway becuase so many people are viewing it, it doesnt stream properly and u keeping having to refresh!

I'm watching it here.
    It's buffering a lot but working grand.

I'm watching it via the 2 week free trial of cnn pipe

Has anyone managed to get the stream going. I have the pipeline working, however there is no working link to Ppe 4 which is the channel the realtime coverage will be shown.
    The thumbnail of pipe 4 is the one you click.
    In thumbnail,it just has a message for viewer discretion..but if you select it,you get the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

am i the only one who noticed the second plane before the reporter they just see it as a second explosion in tower 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I got it to work earlier today and had no problems with buffering. It just took me ages to find it though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement